Jellyfin Forum
Some users with laggy playback - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: Some users with laggy playback (/t-some-users-with-laggy-playback)

Some users with laggy playback - Livingroomtv - 2024-04-17

Some of my friends trying to access the server have choppy playback.
Most recently happened last night when attempting to play 4k transcoded media, and 1080p media. (Unsure if 1080p was transcoded, in the file name it states 'Remux' instead of 'Transcode' or 'DirectStream' like the other files.)

Doesn't always happen, but I can't nail down the problem. I have 1Gbps up/down. I've asked the person who had a problem last night to attempt to download the file the next time they encounter choopyness in an effort to nail down whether it's a connection issue or a file issue.

Pastebin link to choppy 4k log
Pastebin link to choppy 1080p log

The user was playing this on a laptop. I don't know the specs but knowing him it's a damned good laptop.
His internet should be decent, I think he also has a 1Gbps up/down, or at the very least close enough to that speed.
Same user also has problems playing stuff on his Roku. User has also played multiple movies in the past month and hadn't mentioned any lag on previous use, but last night apparently it was bad.

I have another user that almost never has problems playing content, they use Star Link which for sure I know is slower than the above user's internet and generally stream off of their phone.(They didn't have problems, just giving some information about other users speeds and playback device)

I've looked through the logs and I just don't know what I'm looking for. The only thing that stands out to me is the quantity of 
"[hls @ '000...'] Opening 'C:\ProgramData\....' that are present for files that likely only played for a few minutes at most.

Also, a different user who streams on a Roku device also seemed to have a problem yesterday afternoon (This second user has had problem a lot of the time from what I've noticed.) On Activity, most times when they attempt to play a file it also shows them finishing watching it right after. For example, they attempted to play a file at 3:50, finished playing the file at 3:50. They attempted to play the same file again 3:51, finished playing the file 3:51. This is a regular occurrence with this specific user.
Second User Pastebin log
Another Second User Pastebin Log

I appreciate any help yall can offer. Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day!

RE: Some users with laggy playback - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-17

Can you describe your entire setup? Server specs? I see from the log this is Windows and from "h264_qsv" you are using an Intel GPU or iGPU. Based on the transcoding performance I am assuming an Intel Arc GPU? Are my assumptions correct so far?

Are you using a reverse proxy? Cloudflare tunnels?

RE: Some users with laggy playback - Livingroomtv - 2024-04-18

Thank you for your reply!

The computer running the server is using an Intel i5 7500, also using the integrated 630 GPU and 16 gigs of ram and running W10. Main drive is an SSD and there are a few HDDs for data drives. There are no proxies, just port-forwarding on the router. All ethernet connections on my end.

From your reply are the specs the problem? This is an HTPC I build ~6 years ago that I use as an in network media device using Kodi on a few machines around the house. I set it up as a jellyfin server about a year and a half ago. Generally don't have problems but infrequently there is lag for some people.
When I personally use the jellyfin server in network I never have a problem, but honestly that is to be expected.

The user that was having problems with the 4k/1080p files posted above tried it again on their main rig and phone and told me it wasn't choppy for those devices. Got confirmation that the laptop originally used should be plenty powerful, had a 3080 in it. They said they'll try the laptop again later this evening. They've used the laptop many times before to play media from the server and it generally doesn't have any problems.

Some other information that I should have originally posted:
Previously I just had all hardware decoding options enabled, I have since turned off specifically AV1, "Prefer OS native DVXA...", "Low Power H.264", and "Low Power HEVC". I did this after the original user had problems with the 4k/1080p file, but before they attempted to play the files again. Also I've have a fairly high streaming limit. I think each user has at least 75Mbps available. However I can go higher if needed.

Thank you for your time!

RE: Some users with laggy playback - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-18

AFAICT, your server is performing fine in terms of transcoding. And if it can transcode then it can direct play. The bit rates on these videos aren't stupid high. The clients are plenty capable and it isn't isolated to one client. The only thing that makes sense is some network issue. But it sounds like if it is a network issue it is transient so that makes it hard to diagnose.