Jellyfin Forum
Signing in - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Signing in (/t-signing-in)

Signing in - Whytewolves - 2024-04-20

I have Jellyfin up and running on both my Roku TVs in my house, but I cannot get it to open on my PC here, nor on my mom's Roku at her house. I am new to this stuff and am hoping to get some insight with getting things started before I get further involved. Basically, small steps. Get what I have on my Roku's up at the other places before I go into more questions.

RE: Signing in - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-20

Did you enable remote connections in Dashboard > Networking? Is your PC on the same network as Jellyfin? What are you seeing on the PC when you attempt to connect?

RE: Signing in - Whytewolves - 2024-04-20

I do not know. I installed it, pointed it to my files, and followed the onscreen instructions to set it up on my Roku TVs. I have several PCs in the house, and the Jellyfin was set up on a windows share system, not quite a server as I don't know how to do all that. I went to set it up on my mother's TV, who lives out of town, and I couldn't get it to connect. When I got back home, I tried to get in it through this PC which is on the same network, and I am unable to connect. My Roku is still connected and that is where I got the IP for the Jellyfin client running on the Share system.
Now, the share system has been acting up, and when I try to open the Jellyfin Server folder on the windows share PC, and then open the (View Console), it shows a terminal and loads but then disappears. I can open the Shim which is the server configuration, but nothing else is opening on the PC for Jellyfin.

RE: Signing in - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-21

Remote access is not enabled by default. If it sees that the host isn't local it will block the connection. Go to Dashboard > Networking and enable it.

That would explain your mom's TV. Can you describe your setup at home? What is Jellyfin running on and what is the media being stored on?

And I can't make heads or tails of your last statement about something not opening.

RE: Signing in - Whytewolves - 2024-04-21

Let's start with the last sentence of my last post.
The Windows Share PC (Server from now forth) was being transferred over to a Proxmox on a different SSD. I was afraid I'd lose my files when I tried to RAID the 4 20TB HDD's back like I had them in the Server. I asked for help in Proxmox, and was told to go back to what I had until I had made a backup of my system. I removed the SSD with Proxmox and Re-installed the Windows SSD. Since then, it has been acting up and as of yesterday, not opening Plex nor Jellyfin; hence why I reached out here. So, in my application list, I have Jellyfin Media Player, not opening; Jellyfin MVP SHIM file and it opens to the server configuration view; then I have the Jellyfin Server folder and when it is opened, Jellyfin (View Console) running but closes after a few seconds, and Jellyfin Tray App, which is not opening.
So, where and what I think I need to do first is figure out what is going on with this Windows SSD. It was working when I pulled it out just fine, minus the Jellyfin being on my mom's Roku and this PC, and since I re-inserted it, on a restart, it opens a Profile Error box that states "We can't read your preferences or save changes to them. You may not be able to use all features." has been popping up and Mozilla Crash Reports all throughout the night.
So, I thank you for responding, but I need to get this sorted out before I worry about Plex or Jellyfin. I will leave this thread open and come back when I have this sorted.