Jellyfin Forum
Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G (/t-trouble-playing-few-4k-movies-on-amd-5600g)

Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G - leoimperia - 2024-04-25

I just built a NAS with AMD 5600G CPU. I don't have a dGPU yet. 

Some of my 4K movies play flawlwssly. In some other 4K movies I face stuttering and frame drop. 

I have played the troubling 4K movies directly on my computer using VLC and they played flawlessly.

I am not transcoding. Just playing the mkv files. Disabled Hardware accleration.

I don't understand if it is due to not enough processing power of my CPU.

Is the AMD 5600G CPU enough for 4K streaming? 

Why would some 4K movies play without any issues while others don't?

RE: Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-04-25

(2024-04-25, 04:36 PM)leoimperia Wrote: I am not transcoding. Just playing the mkv files. Disabled Hardware accleration.
Disabling HWA does not prevent transcoding. It will simply just use the CPU cores to transcode instead of the iGPU.

When you get a 4K stream that gives you issues, it's most likely transcoding. Maybe due to those specific 4K files having something  that's not compatible with the client.

If you're watching on the Jellyfin web player, you can open an info box that shows what's happening with the stream (direct play, transcoding, etc.).

You can also log into the admin dashboard to see if a client is currently getting a direct or transcoded stream.

RE: Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G - leoimperia - 2024-04-25

Just checked the playback info and it shows Direct playing for the troubled movies.
The client is jellyfin media player and it's directly on my NAS.

RE: Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-25

Its possible the files themselves are problematic. VLC is not a good test case because it will try much harder than most players to work around bad files.

We can try re-packaging the file without re-encoding.

Code:
/usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -fflags genpts -i "/path/to/video.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:s -map_chapters 0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy outputFile.mkv

Ths will regenerate the MKV container and copy the video, audio, and subtitles without re-encoding. Should repackage very quickly.

RE: Trouble playing few 4K movies on AMD 5600G - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-04-25

Is Jellyfin Media Player installed on a separate computer (not directly on the NAS with the 5600G)?

This issue doesn't involve the CPU on the NAS if it's not being used to transcode. Most modern CPUs will not struggle to just send a 4K file to a client.

On Jellyfin Media Player, go to its client settings and try changing the GPU decode settings. There are 3 options to choose from. Most likely, JMP'S built-in MPV player is not handling the CPU or GPU in the system correctly.

I’m running Fedora 40. Does Jellyfin-ffmpeg exists as rpm package to install?

(2024-04-25, 07:49 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Is Jellyfin Media Player installed on a separate computer (not directly on the NAS with the 5600G)?

This issue doesn't involve the CPU on the NAS if it's not being used to transcode. Most modern CPUs will not struggle to just send a 4K file to a client.

On Jellyfin Media Player, go to its client settings and try changing the GPU decode settings. There are 3 options to choose from. Most likely, JMP'S built-in MPV player is not handling the CPU or GPU in the system correctly.

I have it installed if on my laptop and on the NAS PC. I have the same issue when playing the file by connecting the NAS to a monitor or streaming to my laptop.