Jellyfin Forum
Audio Stutter - Jellyfin Media Player - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Audio Stutter - Jellyfin Media Player (/t-audio-stutter-jellyfin-media-player)

Audio Stutter - Jellyfin Media Player - TheDancingNeedle - 2024-04-25

• Jellyfin Server: v10.8.13
  • Jellyfin Media Player: v1.9.1
  • Log:
    .txt   Log.txt (Size: 27.8 KB / Downloads: 0)
  • FFmpeg Log:
    .txt   FFmpeg Transcode Log.txt (Size: 68.01 KB / Downloads: 1)
  • Server PC specs:
  • Server OS: Unraid v6.12.10
  • 3 x 18 TB Toshiba Enterprise HDD
  • Aorus x570 Elite MOBO
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 16 GB RAM Vengeance LPX
  • NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
  • Corsair RM850 850W PSU

I've provided what I think'll be helpful, anything else just let me know! I tried to get a screen recording of the issue, but the audio wouldn't capture (typically).

So I have Jellyfin v10.8.13 installed on an Unraid PC for my server. It is the binhex-jellyfin docker app. One of my Jellyfin clients is a Windows 11 22H2 PC. I have been accessing Jellyfin on this machine via Unraid > docker > Jellyfin > WebUI, and using the web version of Jellyfin in LibreWolf to watch my media. This was okay, up until I noticed a couple of things have this video stutter, where every so often the video will 'skip' for a split second; it won't pause, just skip every few seconds. The audio was totally unaffected.

I read that Firefox (and I assume therefore LibreWolf) don't support H.256 8 or 10-bit, or 10-bit H.264. So I wondered if perhaps my browser was to blame. If this is not likely the case, please do let me know. I have (or am tyring to) stopped using the Firefox WebUI version as I am guessing the issue is as I have stated.

Anyways, that led me to finding there is an official Desktop client - Jellyfin Media Player, which supports ALL codecs, according to the Jellyfin site. So I have installed this, and the video seems to work just fine (so far...) ! However, the *video* is fixed, but now it is my AUDIO that is choppy!!

Every few seconds, the audio sorta pops/chops/skips for a brief second. Not sure how to describe it, and I cannot seem to record a sample. It's one of those things that isn't terribly bad by itself, but it really makes the experience unbearable, as it's basically 1 pop every few seconds, on ALL media.

This goes for both the above issues - I have both Jellyfin Mobile v1.5.0 and Swiftfin v1.0.1 on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, both of which play ALL my media without any issues at all. Also, if I play the media directly from my server on my Win 11 machine in mpv from Win File Explorer, it plays just fine. So I know that both the media itself is okay, AND that- I guess my network is okay? Since it works on Jellyfin on my iPhone without issues?

I have 1 Gigabit ethernet. Both my Unraid server PC and my main Win 11 PC are connected via ethernet. My iPhone via WiFi of course. Average download speeds on my Win 11 PC are roughly between 600 - 800 ish Mbps - like with an Ookla/Google speed test that is.
Most of my media is 4K BluRay Remuxes where possible (because I am a stinky data hoarder. I don't even own a single 4K display. 1440p tho..), 1080p where not. It mostly seems to be HEVC HDR, which is H.256 I believe? Some is mkv I think? Honestly, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to all of this really! I don't understand the codecs and the media types and transcoding and all that jazz. But yea, just so you're aware it's pretty big files I'm tryna play, but my internet should easily handle it. I have Jellyfin's player quality set to auto, and it always chooses 4K 120Mbps.

So yes, my issue is the audio stutter on Jellyfin Media Player. How do I fix this?

I don't believe my hardware should be the issue. The 2070 Super in the server PC should be plenty capable of transcoding 1 simple video stream. Gigabit ethernet on both the server and client PC should also be just fine too. Therefore I am guessing there is a setting that I need to tweak somewhere, or something isn't configured right. A bug maybe?

I have attached stuff. Screenshots of various Jellyfin settings and Unraid settings and my GPU settings for Jellyfin's transcoding (or at least how I believe I should have set it up). Hopefully there is something in there that'll give the issue away.

Any help very much appreciated !

RE: Audio Stutter - Jellyfin Media Player - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-25

Try turning off exclusive in the audio settings in JMP.

Also, the issue you described is the reason I stopped using Voicemeeter. It suddenly started popping after an OS reinstall and couldn't make it go away.

RE: Audio Stutter - Jellyfin Media Player - TheDancingNeedle - 2024-04-25

(2024-04-25, 09:22 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Try turning off exclusive in the audio settings in JMP.

Also, the issue you described is the reason I stopped using Voicemeeter.  It suddenly started popping after an OS reinstall and couldn't make it go away.

YOU'RE A GENIUS !!!!

Okay I don't wanna get too excited but I unchecked that box, and I gave it a little test on a couple files and didn't hear the pops, which is a good sign as they were basically right the way through before. I've gotta go to bed now, but I shall try some more tomorrow & keep an ear out for how it goes..!

There is no way I think I woulda tried that setting when troubleshooting by myself otherwise. SO what exactly is that checkbox for? What does 'exclusive' audio mean here? I feel like I have seen it in other applications.

And no way! Voicemeeter is amazing! I have had my fair share of annoyances with it, but nothing so far that'd make me leave the benefits behind.
When you say this issue exactly, are you talking exclusively popping with Voicemeeter in Jellyfin, or had you had audio popping with other applications too while using Voicemeeter?

RE: Audio Stutter - Jellyfin Media Player - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-25

For me it was popping in EVERY app to the point of being unusable after a hardware upgrade.

I used to use it for keeping my discord chatter on a separate audio track in OBS recordings. I stopped recording my gameplay and then only used it for system wide EQ. Then suddenly had the popping problem and found another app that did system wide EQ so I gave up on Voicemeeter.