Jellyfin Forum
File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags (/t-file-naming-convention-several-brackets-or-one-large-for-several-tags)

Pages: 1 2

File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - 2cute2betrue - 2024-05-06

Hi there,

i am currently using tmm for scraping my metadata prior to copying it over to my jellyfin database.

A typical file looks like this atm:
Rock & Rule (1983) - [Blu-ray x265 xyz release data - 1080p - AC3]

Is the the correct way of handling several tags or would it be better like this?!:

Rock & Rule (1983) - [Blu-ray x265 xyz release data] [1080p] [AC3]
Rock & Rule (1983) - [Blu-ray x265 xyz release data][1080p][AC3]
Rock & Rule (1983) - [Blu-ray x265 xyz release data] - [1080p] - [AC3]

Whats the correct of handling it, as i cant find this exactly specified in the docs (https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies)

Thx for your time!

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-06

what is the purpose of these tags for Jellyfin? Tags are only important if you have multiple versions of a movie.

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - 2cute2betrue - 2024-05-07

Is this your nice way of telling me, that JF doesn't care, what comes after the first bracket at all?

I just wanted to know, if there is any correct way of doing this, when there in more than 1 tag i maintaine.

I don't feel like i am the only one, who has more than "Director's Cut" as a tag for its file naming convention...

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-07

For file merging, it mainly matters right now for movies only. For tv shows, not so much.

You can keep them. If you run into metadata issues on a show, try removing the extra tags and only keeping the date tag.

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - 2cute2betrue - 2024-05-07

No issues here so far, just wanted to know, how JF handels those different types of tagging the filename and whats the correct way of doing it. As said, the docs are unspecificy regarding that.

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - bitmap - 2024-05-07

I do not believe Jellyfin cares about the bracketed information. That's more embedding ephemeral metadata in the filename so it is not lost and kept consistent. None of my bracketed information is utilized by Jellyfin, but I still use it in order to assess the current quality or attributes of the file.

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-07

(2024-05-07, 03:23 PM)bitmap Wrote: I do not believe Jellyfin cares about the bracketed information. That's more embedding ephemeral metadata in the filename so it is not lost and kept consistent. None of my bracketed information is utilized by Jellyfin, but I still use it in order to assess the current quality or attributes of the file.

This was what I was getting at.  If you're not trying to do "versions" of a movie, what you do with the brackets doesn't matter.  For the purposes of metadata, Jellyfin does not use them.

(2024-05-07, 05:50 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote:
(2024-05-07, 03:23 PM)bitmap Wrote: I do not believe Jellyfin cares about the bracketed information. That's more embedding ephemeral metadata in the filename so it is not lost and kept consistent. None of my bracketed information is utilized by Jellyfin, but I still use it in order to assess the current quality or attributes of the file.

This was what I was getting at.  If you're not trying to do "versions" of a movie, what you do with the brackets doesn't matter.  For the purposes of metadata, Jellyfin does not use them.

Then tell me, what would be the correct naming convention if i got 2 versions of a movie? What of my given examples would be correct?

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-07

It is documented here.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/#multiple-versions-of-a-movie

An example from my library.

Code:
chris@rat-trap:/media/library/Movies/It's a Wonderful Life$ ll
total 8114022
drwxr-s---   2 chris jellyfin          4 Apr  1 04:53  ./
drwxr-s--- 167 chris jellyfin        167 Apr 29 14:16  ../
-rw-r-----   1 chris jellyfin 4019376004 Sep 15  2023 'It'\''s A Wonderful Life [Black and White].mkv'
-rw-r-----   1 chris jellyfin 4311282314 Sep 14  2023 'It'\''s A Wonderful Life [Colorized].mkv

RE: File naming convention: Several brackets or one large for several tags - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-07

(2024-05-07, 06:54 PM)2cute2betrue Wrote: Then tell me, what would be the correct naming convention if i got 2 versions of a movie?
To further point out the link from @TheDreadPirate, here is a quote from the doc: "Labels are not predetermined and can be made up by the user".

Basically right now, they only apply if the files are in a movie library.

I do remember reading that version support is comming for shows as well. So maybe the square brackets will matter in the future for those.