Jellyfin Forum
Chromecast with google tv stutter - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Chromecast with google tv stutter (/t-chromecast-with-google-tv-stutter)

Chromecast with google tv stutter - scdouglas - 2023-08-05

Hey everybody, I have jellyfin on my Chromecast with google tv (the 4k capable one) and I've been trying to figure out what's going on with the stuttering. Throughout many of my high quality files (15GB+) the movies will just stop as if they're buffering multiple times during my watch. I know they're not buffering because I have a 1Gb Ethernet adapter plugged in and it still does it, I've also verified the same thing on WiFi just in case. The going theory right now is that the higher bit rate files are just too much for the poor Chromecast and something more powerful is required. Unless anyone else has any theories as to what's happening, are others using the nvidia shield (or pro)? That seems to be my next step here barring any revelations. I'm not the most advanced user but I can do my best to provide any information I can if it will help.

Thanks

RE: Chromecast with google tv stutter - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-05

Server logs and, if they exist, ffmpeg logs please.

Random, but possibly related question. Do you you have transcode throttling enabled? I had an issue with my CCwGTV 4K where it was also stuttered. Remembered I had recently enabled transcode throttling. Disabled that and my CCwGTV played normally again.

Seems that enabling transcode throttling changes the way that even direct played files are not served as aggressively? The CCwGTV doesn't keep a huge buffer so not getting served files aggressively resulted in a starved buffer?

RE: Chromecast with google tv stutter - scdouglas - 2023-08-05

(2023-08-05, 03:53 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Server logs and, if they exist, ffmpeg logs please.

Random, but possibly related question.  Do you you have transcode throttling enabled?  I had an issue with my CCwGTV 4K where it was also stuttered.  Remembered I had recently enabled transcode throttling.  Disabled that and my CCwGTV played normally again.

Seems that enabling transcode throttling changes the way that even direct played files are not served as aggressively?  The CCwGTV doesn't keep a huge buffer so not getting served files aggressively resulted in a starved buffer?

So I checked and I definitely don't have transcode throttling enabled so that's not it. As for the log files, here are all the log files from tonight located within the server folder. If I missed something please let me know, but I think this is what you were looking for. As for why there are a bunch of them, while I was trying to figure out why the movie was stuttering I had exited and relaunched the movie, changed bitrates, messed with settings etc. so I was left with a whole bunch of logs. Combining them gets you to a full log for tonight, but I left them separate in case it's easier to sift through and to avoid me screwing them up. 

As a side note, could this have something to do with audio files on the chromecast? I've heard certain types of audio streams are just too much for it and can create these types of issues. In this case I was dealing with a 7.1 AAC files, not sure if that's too much for it but I'll have to keep an eye on other files to see if there's a connection. Log zip file is below. 

.zip   Log Files Jellyfin.zip (Size: 125.58 KB / Downloads: 15)

RE: Chromecast with google tv stutter - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-05

First tip, on your CCwGTV, manually set the global bit rate to 120Mbps. Something something the auto setting is bugged doesn't get it right sometimes. I am seeing "TranscodeReason=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit" probably due to that. Unnecessary transcoding

Second, when you are transcoding it is fast enough for a two 4K transcode streams. Both for lower the bit rate (above) and for compatibility reasons.

Third, I see you starting and stopping The Da Vinci Code a lot. That one is direct playing. Probably other videos, too. Not sure what is going on there. In Android TV there is a debug options. I think it gives you the option to write logs to the server? And more options? Check that out.

I see the 6700XT in the logs. What kind of CPU is in your server?
Fourth, probably not a big deal, upgrade to 10.8.10? You're on .9. There was an important security patch in .10. Slightly newer ffmpeg.

RE: Chromecast with google tv stutter - scdouglas - 2023-08-05

(2023-08-05, 05:07 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: First tip, on your CCwGTV, manually set the global bit rate to 120Mbps.  Something something the auto setting is bugged doesn't get it right sometimes.  I am seeing "TranscodeReason=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit" probably due to that.  Unnecessary transcoding

Second, when you are transcoding it is fast enough for a two 4K transcode streams.  Both for lower the bit rate (above) and for compatibility reasons.

Third, I see you starting and stopping The Da Vinci Code a lot.  That one is direct playing.  Probably other videos, too.  Not sure what is going on there.  In Android TV there is a debug options.  I think it gives you the option to write logs to the server?  And more options?  Check that out.

I see the 6700XT in the logs.  What kind of CPU is in your server?
Fourth, probably not a big deal, upgrade to 10.8.10?  You're on .9.  There was an important security patch in .10.  Slightly newer ffmpeg.

I guess it didn't come across in the logs or it is mistakenly showing, but I only had the bitrate set to auto 1 time for no more than a minute because it defaulted to the lowest quality setting for some reason. The reason it is started and stopped a bunch of times is that it was stopping playback and I was messing with bitrate and other things to try to get it to play all the way through, in some cases exiting jellyfin or just going back to the dashboard and restarting the movie, so the logs reflect that. CPU for the server is a Ryzen 3700X and I've got 32GB of RAM if that helps at all. I'll also give the update a go, but I'd be shocked if it made any difference.

RE: Chromecast with google tv stutter - jj0101 - 2023-11-07

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I think i have fully disabled transcoding and enable direct play. Some files are playing without any problems (also 4K). However 4K video's with the following codecs stutters extremely: HEVC, DTS-HD. I don't know what I am doing wrong here. Is there anyone that has a best way Jellyfin can be configured for direct play?