Jellyfin Forum
Parental Rating / Certification list order - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-development)
+--- Forum: Server Development (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-server-development)
+--- Thread: Parental Rating / Certification list order (/t-parental-rating-certification-list-order)

Parental Rating / Certification list order - starkebn - 2024-05-13

Can this be right? Shouldn't PG be between 10 and 13-14? Surely it doesn't belong after M?

[Image: SvK8vea.png]

RE: Parental Rating / Certification list order - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-13

PG in Australia is not the same as PG in the US. Each region has its own parent rating system tier list, linked below.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/tree/fd250e4fe1c1a35e8e40c008a7d25675729e3dac/Emby.Server.Implementations/Localization/Ratings

Here is the PR that made the change to what it currently is.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/pull/10006

And the ticket that prompted the PR, including a link to the source of the AUS classification guide.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/7384

RE: Parental Rating / Certification list order - starkebn - 2024-05-13

looks like in us.csv PG is at about age 10, before PG-13. In uk.csv PG is at age 8.

Why is it currently in the spot after the M ratings?

RE: Parental Rating / Certification list order - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-13

Are you in the UK or Australia? (the flag in your profile says Australia)

Also, I actually read the AUS classification guide and it definitely needs to be corrected.

Can you open an issue and point out what is inaccurate.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues

This is the file in question.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/blob/fd250e4fe1c1a35e8e40c008a7d25675729e3dac/Emby.Server.Implementations/Localization/Ratings/au.csv

RE: Parental Rating / Certification list order - ripper - 2024-05-15

I have non-English ratings, and parental control doesn't give me a list of ratings that match my metadata.

I think that's why it doesn't work. How can I get it to show up properly?

RE: Parental Rating / Certification list order - rygle - 2024-09-07

I worked around this by setting my 13 year old's parental rating to 14.

Then, I logged in to my OpenMediaVault server via ssh (it's Debian Linux) and went to my movies directory (which I've set as /videos/Movies) and ran a sed command.

Before using sed in Linux, I first tried to do it using Windows Powershell commands on my SMB share but could not figure out a Powershell equivalent that worked.
Here are some attempts that might help someone else get on the right path - but these did not work for me as the errors show.

My SMB share for videos is V:, then went in to Movies

Windows Powershell Attempt 1 (failed):
Code:
PS V:\Movies> dir ".\*\*.nfo" -recurse |% { (gc $_) -replace '<mpaa>AU-PG</mpaa>', '<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>' | (sc $_) }
ParserError:
Line |
  1 |  … c $_) -replace '<mpaa>AU-PG</mpaa>', '<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>' | (sc $_) }
    |                                                                ~~~~~~~
    | Expressions are only allowed as the first element of a pipeline.

Windows Powershell Attempt 2 (failed) :
Code:
PS V:\Movies> $fileNames = Get-ChildItem ".\*\*.nfo" -Recurse |select Filename | foreach ($filename in $filenames) { (Get-Content $filename.Filename) -replace "<mpaa>AU-PG</mpaa>", "<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>"|Set-Content $filename.Filename }
ParserError:
Line |
  1 |  … ".\*\*.nfo" -Recurse |select Filename | foreach ($filename in $filena …
    |                                                              ~~
    | Unexpected token 'in' in expression or statement.

I then tried Linux using sed...

Linux Attempt 1 (failed):
At first I tried including the <mpaa>...</mpaa> in both the search and replace fields, but sed did not like it and I had to CTRL-C to force quit the command
Code:
sed -i '' 's/<mpaa>AU-PG</mpaa>/<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>/g' */*.nfo

sed: can't read s/<mpaa>AU-PG</mpaa>/<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>/g: No such file or directory

Linux Attempt 2 (worked):
Then I took out the <mpaa>...</mpaa> and it was happy
Code:
sed -i 's/AU-PG/PG-13/g' */*.nfo

This gave no output but it worked.

This works because I have all my metadata stored in NFO (setting in Jellyfin).

I then re-scanned all metadata in Jellyfin, then went in to movies and filtered by Parental rating to check and adjusted any outliers manually, changing any that are actually AU-PG but I would prefer him not to watch or that would bore him to tears to AU-M.

Hope this helps someone...

RE: Parental Rating / Certification list order - rygle - 2024-09-07

I think the **real solution** is to do all parental rating as per the country's rating system for anything where there is any ambiguity - if the country has a rating of AU-PG, then that should be a completely separate rating from PG-13, 13, M, AU-M, AU-MA15+, 15, 14. If the person has chosen a parental rating of AU-PG in Jellyfin, then anything that is in a PG related classification should not show up unless the administrator has properly identified it as AU-PG.

So, if I set my child's classification/parental rating to AU-PG, the following will apply;

U - will show for AU-PG
G - will show for AU-PG
AU-PG will show for AU-PG
PG, PG-13, 13, 14, M, MA, AU-M, AU-MA15 and anything else that is not explicity U, G, AU-G, 7, and AU-PG will not show up until I get the correct rating in the metadata.

In other words, AU-PG should incorporate only ratings that are clearly below it such as U, G, AU-G, 7, and AU-PG, but not ratings where there might be any ambiguity. The onus is then on the parent to set the ratings in the metadata before something shows up. It is better to err toward caution rather than have a parental rating of AU-PG show AU-MA15+ rated material.

This should probably be the same with setting the rating to M, AU-M - these ratings should not show MA15, AU-MA15, 15, R, 18, AU-R, or whatever else is ambiguous. The onus will then be on the person setting the metadata to set it correctly and no improper materials will be seen by those who should not see it. A point in case is that my wife mostly does not want to see AU-MA15 material, so I set her parental rating to AU-M, but now she is seeing a whole lot of stuff that she, a consenting adult, does not want to see. She can log in to my profile if she wants to see it, but she should then have to explicitly choose because she has chosen a rating limit already and should not have to filter out the AU-MA15 and above stuff.

This whole thing seems have gone wrong in an effort to make things more granular.

Perhaps a better approach would be to make things more granular in the options available in the settings rather than in the interpretation of the settings that the user has no control over (apart from re-compiling Jellyfin). So all profiles have a check list of all possible ratings, and the parent/administrator has to explicitly tick every rating they want to be visible. Or to speed this up, it could have umbrella categories with sub-categories that get selected if the umbrella category is selected, but only if the umbrella category is selected. Alternately, there could be a tick box for "more granular ratings selections" that does something like the following (if unticked it can remain as it was)...

So, in the Jellyfin settings, I will see something like;

NR [ ]
-- NR [ ]
-- AU-NC [ ]
U [ ]
-- U [ ]
-- AU-U [ ]
etc for other countries

G [ ]
-- MPAA-G [ ]
-- AU-G [ ]
-- 7 [ ]
etc for other countries

PG [ ]
-- PG-13 [ ]
-- AU-PG [ ]
-- 14 [ ]
etc for other countries

M [ ]
-- MPAA-M [ ]
-- 15 [ ]
-- AU-M [ ]
-- AU-MA15 [ ]
etc for other countries

etc, etc.

That way a parent/administrator can tick either the larger category that will select all under it, or just tick the ratings they want.

(2024-05-15, 01:07 AM)ripper Wrote: I have non-English ratings, and parental control doesn't give me a list of ratings that match my metadata.

I think that's why it doesn't work. How can I get it to show up properly?

Perhaps this requires that under an advanced ratings setting, the parent/administrator can type in their own ratings that match the metadata that their scraper is getting for their location, and that these get incorporated into the longer list of tick-boxes for ratings once entered.