Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: System updates resetting permissions? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: System updates resetting permissions? (/t-solved-system-updates-resetting-permissions)

System updates resetting permissions? - bigggtuna - 2023-06-19

I just ran some updates on my Ubuntu (22.04) server and Jellyfin was updated. This somehow affected the user and access it has, as it lost access to my media drives. I had to re-promote the jellyfin user to the correct groups and permissions and restart the service. It needed to scan the llibraries again and I lost all of the changes to images and metadata that I made. I realized I didn't have 'Nfo' checked under 'Metadata savers', will this solve the metadata issue if the service restarts again? I also already did have the option to save artwork into media folders, so I thought this would have kept my uploaded images. How can I ensure that the metadata and images are saved if this happens again?

Also if anyone knows how to prevent it from needing to rescan at all that would be appreciated too!

RE: System updates resetting permissions? - skribe - 2023-06-20

This is not a normal issue. My intuition is that your media drives are mounted in an ill-advised location like /home where permissions are more at the mercy of the system. The NFO metadata might help as a workaround, but this issue should not be happening. No workaround should be necessary.

The server log from before and after this issue happened might also be helpful. As would additional details about your configuration.

RE: System updates resetting permissions? - bigggtuna - 2023-06-20

(2023-06-20, 12:34 AM)skribe Wrote: This is not a normal issue. My intuition is that your media drives are mounted in an ill-advised location like /home where permissions are more at the mercy of the system. The NFO metadata might help as a workaround, but this issue should not be happening. No workaround should be necessary.

My media drives are mounted on /media/[user]/. Should I mount them elsewhere in fstab? Will I need to edit metadata again once I swap to the new mount location?

RE: System updates resetting permissions? - Venson - 2023-06-20

(2023-06-20, 02:40 AM)bigggtuna Wrote:
(2023-06-20, 12:34 AM)skribe Wrote: This is not a normal issue. My intuition is that your media drives are mounted in an ill-advised location like /home where permissions are more at the mercy of the system. The NFO metadata might help as a workaround, but this issue should not be happening. No workaround should be necessary.

My media drives are mounted on /media/[user]/. Should I mount them elsewhere in fstab? Will I need to edit metadata again once I swap to the new mount location?

That might be part of your permission issues. Most mount drives under /mnt/NAME and then use subfolders for TV and movies like /mnt/NAME/TV. Yes after you moved your media folder you have to reconfigure your libraries and rescan you media

RE: System updates resetting permissions? - bigggtuna - 2023-06-20

(2023-06-20, 06:38 AM)Venson Wrote:
(2023-06-20, 02:40 AM)bigggtuna Wrote:

That might be part of your permission issues. Most mount drives under /mnt/NAME and then use subfolders for TV and movies like /mnt/NAME/TV. Yes after you moved your media folder you have to reconfigure your libraries and rescan you media

Ok, thanks. Unfortunately I spent more time that I would have liked to re-applying the metadata changes, so I am not keen on doing that all again so soon. Everything is working as intended now, and I will mount the drive to a more appropriate location next time this happens. Thanks again!