Jellyfin Forum
Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. (/t-trickplay-and-chapter-images-storage-location)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - Nariagari - 2024-05-13

Tl;Dr:
> Where does Jellyfin store TrickPlay and also Chapter Images?
The trickplay files are stored at "/config/metadata/library".

Is there a way to change the Storage location to save TrickPlay and Chapter images inside the Media folder, like artwork and .nfo files?
If not, this would be a feature request.

Hello everyone

I just upgraded from 10.8.13 to 10.9.1 and was happy to see native TrickPlay support (I used Jellyscrub before)!

During the conversion from .bif to the new file format, my server crashed because the local disc got squashed by TrickPlay files.
With the Plugin I had it set up to store the images in the media location which in my case is on a NAS. My Jellyfin server does not have a lot of storage, but is strong enough to transcode.

Now to my question (and potential feature request):
Where does Jellyfin store TrickPlay and also Chapter Images?
We already got the "Save artwork into media folders" option, which is great, but I don't see such an option for TrickPlay and Chapter Images.

System/Setup Information:
Docker (LinuxServerIO)
Media is on an external NAS which I mounted via NFS in my docker-compose

Kind Regards
Nariagari

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-13

The trickplay files are stored at "/config/metadata/library".

The new trickplay files don't have any human-readable identifer to what video they belong to. They're nested into separate folders named trickplay and another named under the resolution they're set to. Each trickplay file is numbered in order starting at 0. They're all jpg files, so if you open one of them, you'll see each individual tile picture. Depending on your trickplay generation settings, you'll have a single "0.jpg" file, or multiple (0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg etc.) for a single video.

There is a way to find most video's trickplay file. When you open a video's page on Jellyfin, the url has its ID in it. You just need to navigate the folders in this location following the ID letters as in the url.

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - CleverId10t - 2024-05-13

While I do understand the advantage of keeping the trickplay files locally (they can be "pruned" if the media is removed) if there is more than one jellyfin server, they cannot be "shared", and if one wants to do a clean install, then they need to be recreated from scratch, which even with hardware acceleration is a fairly slow process.

Any options for saving with media in the future?

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-13

I cannot find an option to save the trickplays in the media folders.

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - ggfool - 2024-05-14

This is a serious problem for me, my jellfin folder in 10.8 was about 11GB and now after upgrading to 10.9 it's over 200GB, i run a weekly backup and backing up 200GB takes significantly more time and space, the method of storing trick play with the media files was MUCH better for this reason, i've had to disable backups on jellyfin until this is changed.

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-14

A solution to your problem would be to exclude the folders from the backup process. If you're on Linux, you can use rsync and tell it to ignore all folders and files under folders named "trickplay".

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - gregorkm - 2024-05-15

I would really love an option that allows trickplay file storage within the media folder again.
For me its not just an inconvenience but a breaking change for my server setup because I simply dont have the space on my jellyfin vm/host to store 150++ GB of data. I use my nas for that. Before this change the jellyfin server needed < 10GB disk size including os (linux based) and all other metdata, now those disk requirements have risen significantly. As far as i understand it, with the new structure its not possible to use a cifs/smb share for the trickplay content, since the indivitual files are nested within the diffrent metadata folders for the diffrent media items. Please correct me if im wrong.

Slightly oftopic:
I've installed an old version of the Jellyscrub plugin for now, but sadly it doesnt work. Has anyone gotten an older (< 2.0.0.0) verion to run on the 10.9.1 client/server?

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-15

The only thing Jellyscrub does in 10.9 is give users the option to convert existing jellyscrub BIFs to 10.9's trickplays.

https://github.com/nicknsy/jellyscrub?tab=readme-ov-file#%EF%B8%8F-warning-for-jellyfin-109-%EF%B8%8F

Quote:Trickplay functionality has been upstreamed into Jellyfin 10.9.0, and as such, Jellyscrub's trickplay functionality will not be maintained after 10.9.0 is officially released. However, Jellyscrub has been updated to version 2.0.0 which only allows for the conversion of your already generated .bif files to Jellyfin's new native format.

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - dontcryforme - 2024-05-16

If you run a docker container you should be able to change the location:
volumes:
- /newtrickplaylocation: /config/metadata/library

RE: Trickplay and Chapter Images storage location. - Nariagari - 2024-05-17

(2024-05-16, 01:39 PM)dontcryforme Wrote: If you run a docker container you should be able to change the location:
    volumes:
      - /newtrickplaylocation: /config/metadata/library

The problem with this solution is that all the metadata would be stored on an external device.
Small data like Pictures of Actors and Movie Wallpapers are small enough to be stored on the smaller but faster SSD. Also, they get viewed more regularly.
But Trickplay is only used if you watch something, and it accumulates to much more data than the other metadata.