Jellyfin Forum
Audio sync and recording issues after 10.9 upgrade - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Audio sync and recording issues after 10.9 upgrade (/t-audio-sync-and-recording-issues-after-10-9-upgrade)

Audio sync and recording issues after 10.9 upgrade - asilvera4 - 2024-05-14

After upgrading from 10.8 to 10.9.1 the audio on any transcoded playback is delayed by almost 2sec on some players but not on others. I initially thought it was only live TV ts streams, but I have used a backup ts file from an older recording to do testing with the same results as live. 
Here is a table of results:

On the fly transcoding-
WebOS (LG-C1): delayed
Safari web player (M3 MBP): delayed
IOS app (M1 iPad): delayed on non-native player, not delayed on native player (beta) but freezes/stutters on occasion
MacOS app: no issues at all

These results are identical regardless of vaapi (vaapi was the most stable for me on 10.8 ), qsv acceleration or none at all. I've verified with intel_gpu and htop that my expected cpu/gpu uses for each case are in fact really happening. The audio is delayed even when the audio stream is just copy. 

Maybe not surprisingly, if I use the Jellyfin ffmpeg to transcode a file, no matter what I use for -c:v -c:a the output file plays everywhere perfectly, as do any direct play files. 
After much googling, I've tried a page-sized matrix of changing max audio channels, downmixing, enconding quality, etc, and the results are usually worse if any change at all. Also, the original video resolution or number of audio channels (say an HD 5.1 TV channel vs 420 stereo) makes no difference.
Simple logic would say that this is a player problem, but none of my endpoints changed from before; only the JF server changed with the upgrade. Did something change with the audio transcoding that's maybe causing some players to have to transcode again themselves and causing a delay?

Here's a bit of ffmpeg log from one of multiple combinations of playback settings:
Input #0, mpegts, from 'fileConfused-facemnt/NAS3TB/Movies/BAK_Abbott Elementary S03E12 Mother's Day.ts':
  Duration: 00:31:59.21, start: 8989.894022, bitrate: 6517 kb/s
  Program 4
  Stream #0:0[0x41]: Video: mpeg2video (Main) ([2][0][0][0] / 0x0002), yuv420p(tv, progressive), 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, 59.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 90k tbn
    Side data:
      cpb: bitrate max/min/avg: 14333600/0/0 buffer size: 9764864 vbv_delay: N/A
  Stream #0:1[0x44](eng): Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
  Stream #0:2[0x45](spa): Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (mpeg2video (native) -> h264 (h264_qsv))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
libva info: VA-API version 1.21.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_21
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

System:
i5-6500
16G DDR4, 256 SSD (OS/app), 3TB HHD
Bare metal Ubuntu 24.04, no docker/vm JF 
HD Homerun Dual w/Schedules Direct

Secondly, and maybe even worse, is that my DVR broke with the upgrade. All my scheduled recordings have the red dots, and it even looks like they're recording at the time of broadcast, but there's no file, no post processing..nothing. To be honest, I don't even know where to begin t/s that.
Edit: There is a closed thread RE: recordings not working with a permissions error to livetv dir. This is my issue as well - scheduled to be fixed in 10.9.2

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

RE: Audio sync and recording issues after 10.9 upgrade - asilvera4 - 2024-05-24

User gnattu has the answer for this on GitHub
https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/11723

Something with the fMP4 container on live streams causes an issue with the web player with LiveTV.
That resolves both issues for me