Jellyfin Forum
Completely Disable External Posters - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Completely Disable External Posters (/t-completely-disable-external-posters)

Completely Disable External Posters - TheJellyMan - 2024-05-16

I had a pretty large collection of movies before I started using Jellyfin. Many of them have poster jpegs in the same directory, with the same filename as the movie. The poster images usually don't look as "clean" as the ones from themoviedb, so my grid view looks kind of sloppy and unorganized. Is there a way to tell Jellyfin to never use external files for posters? I don't want to delete them.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-16

In the library settings for each library you can disable all the online image fetchers. But for Jellyfin to pick up the images and use them properly you have to name them poster.jpg or other supported file names.

Or documentation has all the file names you can use for other purposes as well, like backdrops.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/#images

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheJellyMan - 2024-05-17

@TheDreadPirate, you misunderstand me. I want the exact opposite of that. I want Jellyfin to ignore all the poster files on my harddrive. Jellyfin automatically displays them if they are named the same as the video file.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-17

Are you using the old posters for another program? Why not replace them if you say they look worse than the ones from TMDB?

You could try to switch Jellyfin's artwork to be in the config folder instead alongside with your media files. If that doesn't help you, this probably won't work an you'll need to give up on one of the two.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-17

I don't have my Jellyfin server handy, but can you do what I said in reverse? I can't remember if in the image fetcher settings you can disable local images.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-17

(2024-05-17, 01:05 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I can't remember if in the image fetcher settings you can disable local images.
I checked. There's no such thing. The closest thing in the library settings is that the image settings for episodes has an option to get a screen grab directly from the video instead of one from an online source. All other settings are related to pulling images from online sources only.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-17

If this were my system, I would change the permissions on the images so that Jellyfin couldn't read them but other users/services could.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheJellyMan - 2024-07-23

(2024-05-17, 03:19 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: If this were my system, I would change the permissions on the images so that Jellyfin couldn't read them but other users/services could.

I have just started a new Jellyfin server on Debian with the same media library. That's a good idea, after reading your post I stopped the media scan and I am going to try this right now.

I've ran the following command in my 'Movies' folder for now:

Code:
find -type f \( -name *.jpg -o -name *.jpeg -o -name *.png -o -name *.webp -o -name *.avif \) -print0 | xargs -0 setfacl -m u:jellyfin:---

It's a very large folder so it will be a bit before I can tell if it worked. Let's hope so!

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheJellyMan - 2024-07-23

I think this is just making all of the movies with same-titled posters display as blank. I'm assuming because Jellyfin is trying to render them but can't. Maybe it's too early to tell, but I doubt it.

I may use my above command to just rename all the image files to something else, but that might get complicated because some folders have multiple images in them. I also hate making exceptions for software. Jellyfin should have an option to not use this feature. I understand if they were all named 'poster' but there are like 10 different naming conventions where it picks up the images, what am I supposed to name them then? It's a bit annoying.

RE: Completely Disable External Posters - TheJellyMan - 2024-07-29

I made a quick bash script to put all of the artwork into their own folder, then refreshed my library. This worked, and the new posters from themoviedb look more uniform, since a lot of the poster files I was saving were theatrical release posters with all the credits.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

function yes () {
    find . -type f \( -iname *jpeg -o -iname *.jpg -o -iname *.png -o -iname *.webp -o -iname *.avif \) ! -path '*/artworks/*' -exec sh -c '
    for src; do
      dest=${src%/*}/artworks
      mkdir -p "$dest" && mv "$src" "$dest"
    done' sh {} +;
}

find . -type f \( -iname *jpeg -o -iname *.jpg -o -iname *.png -o -iname *.webp -o -iname *.avif \) ! -path '*/artworks/*' -exec sh -c '
for src; do
  dest=${src%/*}/artworks
  echo mkdir -p "$dest" && echo mv "$src" "$dest"
done' sh {} +

read -p "Does this look right? (y or n) " yn

case $yn in
    y ) yes;;
    n ) echo Try again...;
exit;;
    * ) echo invalid response;
exit 1;;
esac

exit

I'm sure I could easily figure out a way to move them back if I should ever want to, so it's not a big deal