Jellyfin Forum
Weird playback issue - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Weird playback issue (/t-weird-playback-issue)

Pages: 1 2

Weird playback issue - dredgenapollo - 2023-08-07

Hi guys, I used to run Jellyfin in the Unraid docker image, however I recently moved to a dedicated Ubuntu machine and am having some issues. Movies and shows (at least the ones that I have) work fine, but a lot of my anime library does not. I can only play in either edge or the IOS client, and the windows client will just freeze when I try to play these. The format of almost all of my anime is HEVC mkv containers.
The Ubuntu machine is set up to use Intel's QSV for all formats. Turning this off did not fix anything.

I have tried forcing transcoding on the client side, as well as forcing direct playback.

Some of the anime IS playable on windows though, and inspecting the codec of one that works compared to one that doesn't is confusing because they appear to be the exact same format. I'm not sure what to do, google hasn't been very helpful. I will post transcode logs both with and without QSV.

The picture filenames indicate which is which. But to save you some time: The one with 7 subtitle streams is the one not working

Oh and one other detail, I'm running Ubuntu 23.04 and currently the latest Jellyfin version

3 additional things: 

1 - forum is weird
2 - The 2 images are labeled, but to save time, the one with 7 streams is the non-working one
3 - I am running Ubuntu 23.04 and the absolute latest Jellyfin version as of writing

RE: Weird playback issue - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-07

It is failing to initialize the GPU. Did you install all the Intel drivers? The official docker image has them built in, but you need to install them when running bare metal.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration/intel#configure-on-linux-host

RE: Weird playback issue - dredgenapollo - 2023-08-08

(2023-08-07, 08:28 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: It is failing to initialize the GPU.  Did you install all the Intel drivers?  The official docker image has them built in, but you need to install them when running bare metal.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration/intel#configure-on-linux-host

Hey, thanks for the input! I verified that the drivers were installed, and restarted everything. However, I'm still getting the exact same problem and the same error in the logs. What's weird is that despite QSV being selected, the error log is saying it couldn't initialize VAAPI. Additionally, this only happens with HEVC content (and some HEVC content does work for whatever reason). Everything else does work. Finally, as I said in the original post, this seems to only be happening on the Windows client, regardless of if I'm transcoding or doing direct playback.

RE: Weird playback issue - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-08

(2023-08-08, 02:24 AM)dredgenapollo Wrote:
(2023-08-07, 08:28 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: It is failing to initialize the GPU.  Did you install all the Intel drivers?  The official docker image has them built in, but you need to install them when running bare metal.

Hey, thanks for the input! I verified that the drivers were installed, and restarted everything. However, I'm still getting the exact same problem and the same error in the logs. What's weird is that despite QSV being selected, the error log is saying it couldn't initialize VAAPI. Additionally, this only happens with HEVC content (and some HEVC content does work for whatever reason). Everything else does work. Finally, as I said in the original post, this seems to only be happening on the Windows client, regardless of if I'm transcoding or doing direct playback.

What is the output of 

Quote:sudo /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/vainfo --display drm --device /dev/dri/renderD128

and

Quote:sudo /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -v verbose -init_hw_device vaapi=vaConfused-facedev/dri/renderD128 -init_hw_device opencl@va -init_hw_device qsv

(2023-08-07, 08:28 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What is the output of 

Quote:sudo /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/vainfo --display drm --device /dev/dri/renderD128

and

Quote:sudo /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -v verbose -init_hw_device vaapi=vaConfused-facedev/dri/renderD128 -init_hw_device opencl@va -init_hw_device qsv

I'll append the outputs in text files

The Intel iHD driver is not initializing or is not installed. QSV is part of that driver.

I'm a bit busy today so I can't look up the instructions. Look up docs for installing Intel's iHD driver.

When I have some time later, I will help you out more if you haven't worked through that yet.

(2023-08-08, 03:15 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The Intel iHD driver is not initializing or is not installed.  QSV is part of that driver.

I'm a bit busy today so I can't look up the instructions.  Look up docs for installing Intel's iHD driver.

When I have some time later, I will help you out more if you haven't worked through that yet.

Looked into it, and I may just be an idiot. The PC that was given to me has a 4570k in it, which I was told supports QSV/HEVC. I was lied to. So that means I need to use VA-API for hardware acceleration, not QSV. However there is still one weird thing, and that's the fact that even if I disable hardware acceleration and/or force direct playback, the client will still freeze. For reference, the client is running on a windows 11 PC with a 12700k and a 3080ti, so it shouldn't have any issues decoding HEVC (and it didn't back when I was running on docker). Any further ideas? It seems I'm back to square 1.

(And to answer your question, the iHD driver and VAAPI are supposedly installed and functional)

Ah. Haswell has limited QSV functionality anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

But don't expect miracles with VAAPI. Its performance is dependent on the raw graphics performance of your CPU. Probably should have asked what hardware you had from the get go. The client probably isn't freezing. Just waiting for the server to transcodes (probably via the CPU alone) and just isn't doing that fast enough.

Are there ffmpeg logs?

If you are watching in a browser, it probably wants to transcode to H264. What happens when you use the desktop Jellyfin Media Player?

(2023-08-08, 04:14 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Ah.  Haswell has limited QSV functionality anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

But don't expect miracles with VAAPI.  Its performance is dependent on the raw graphics performance of your CPU.  Probably should have asked what hardware you had from the get go.  The client probably isn't freezing.  Just waiting for the server to transcodes (probably via the CPU alone) and just isn't doing that fast enough.

Are there ffmpeg logs?

If you are watching in a browser, it probably wants to transcode to H264.  What happens when you use the desktop Jellyfin Media Player?

So if I watch say, Made In Abyss, in Chrome, it will say the server sent a format that isn't compatible
If I watch in Edge, it works (which is in line with Edge apparently supporting HEVC)
If I watch in Jellyfin Media Player (windows client) it just hangs indefinitely (This is regardless of if I force transcoding HEVC or if I force direct playback in client settings)

Post your jellyfin and ffmpeg logs. And screenshots of your Playback/transcode settings on the server.