Jellyfin Forum
how display multiple files as one movie? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: how display multiple files as one movie? (/t-how-display-multiple-files-as-one-movie)

how display multiple files as one movie? - Iacov - 2024-05-18

hey

i initially thought that this would be added with 10.9 but maybe i have simply mis-labeled my files
i ask for your help wether it is even possible or if i am doing something wrong

i want multiple movie-parts to be displayed as one single movie file
e.g. lord of the rings the fellowship consists of two files (the two dvds i have and own)
the first file is 1h41m, the second is 1h57m
when i click the movie in jellyfin, it says that the movie is 1h41m long and that there is an "additional part" (or how it may be called in english..."zusätzliche teile" in german)

i would like the movie to be displayed as one single movie with its total runtime (which worked way back with plex)

the files are named:
Lord of the Rings The Fellowship (2001) - Special Extended - pt1 and
Lord of the Rings The Fellowship (2001) - Special Extended - pt2

am i doing something wrong?

RE: how display multiple files as one movie? - lukasitaly - 2024-05-18

Hey,
a lot of folks have been discussing this (even an open feature request where a moderator says this has been possible since day one but people are saying it's still not working: https://features.jellyfin.org/posts/198/handle-movies-with-multiple-split-files-as-one-item).
In Jellyfin's documentation, they mention it's possible to split movies into parts like "Film-cd1" and "Film-cd2" (likely the same for "pt1" & "pt2"). But it seems this might prompt a window to choose which part to play before starting (possibly the same window as "zusätzliche Teile"). Some people mentioned that this is the expected behavior for multipart movies, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I think the simplest solution is just merging the files into one. I use MKVToolNix's GUI version, and it's super easy. Is there a reason you do not want to merge the files?

RE: how display multiple files as one movie? - Iacov - 2024-05-18

(2024-05-18, 10:57 AM)lukasitaly Wrote:  Is there a reason you do not want to merge the files?

admittingly because I don't know how to do that under windows. I know how to split files via handbrake but have no experience in merging to mkv. does it have to transcode?

RE: how display multiple files as one movie? - lukasitaly - 2024-05-18

(2024-05-18, 11:07 AM)Iacov Wrote: does it have to transcode?

No it doesn't have to transcode. It's easy, download MKVToolNix from https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html (scroll down to windows), then

1.     Open MKVToolNix's GUI version.
  2.     Click on "Add source files" and select the parts of the movie you want to merge.
  3.     Arrange the files in the desired order if needed.
  4.     Choose an output location and filename for the merged file.
  5.     Click "Start multiplexing" to merge the files.

With MKVToolNix, you can also easily add or remove subtitles and audio tracks. Personally, I use it to get rid of subtitles in languages I don't understand, keeping things organized.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just let me know.

RE: how display multiple files as one movie? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-18

I'm with Lukasitaly. It is muuuuuuuuch easier to merge them with MKVToolNix. I'm not sure you can use both the part syntax and the version syntax in the same movie.

RE: how display multiple files as one movie? - Iacov - 2024-05-19

(2024-05-18, 11:25 AM)lukasitaly Wrote:
(2024-05-18, 11:07 AM)Iacov Wrote: does it have to transcode?

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just let me know.

thank you, that was way easier than expected. though I don't get the difference between add, append and the third option 

but my movies now seem to have the full length so I think I have done it correctly xD

funny thing is that I encountered an issue that apparently handbrake did cut away too many pixels on some of the files which prevents the merging. glad that I also keep the "raw" mkvs... so I multiplexed the file and than transcoded it again

RE: how display multiple files as one movie? - lukasitaly - 2024-05-19

(2024-05-19, 06:19 AM)Iacov Wrote: thank you, that was way easier than expected. though I don't get the difference between add, append and the third option

"Appending Files" means combining multiple video files to play one after the other as a single video. For example, if a movie is split into "part 1," "part 2," and so on, appending these files will create one continuous movie file. (This is what you did)
"Adding Files" means merging different types of tracks to play together as one file. For instance, if you have separate video, audio, and subtitle tracks, adding these files will combine them into one movie. This can also include adding extra tracks to an existing movie file. For example, if you have an English movie and want to add German subtitles you downloaded from the internet, you can add these subtitles to your existing movie file, allowing you to choose between English and German subtitles.

Quick tip from a fellow German: MKVToolNix is also available in German if that makes it easier for you.

(2024-05-19, 06:19 AM)Iacov Wrote: funny thing is that I encountered an issue that apparently handbrake did cut away too many pixels on some of the files which prevents the merging. glad that I also keep the "raw" mkvs... so I multiplexed the file and than transcoded it again

Sounds tedious, but hey, it worked! xD