Jellyfin Forum
Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie (/t-wrong-order-of-multiple-versions-of-a-movie)

Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - xameon - 2024-05-18

Hello everybody,

first of all I want to say that I’m unsure if the following is bug or a miss configuration/interpretation on my site.

Jellyfin Version: 10.9.2
Installation method: nativ (installation over Jellyfin apt repo)
Used documentation: https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/#multiple-versions-of-a-movie

I recently update Jellyfin (server and web) from 10.8.13 to 10.9.2. 
The update run mostly smoothly (thanks to all the hard work of the Jellyfin contributors) but now the order of different versions of the same movie is different than in 10.8.13.

Let me explain further:
I’m using the function for different versions of the same movie in the first place for different quality’s.
For example the same movie in 1080p and in 2160p.
The naming scheme I am using is the following: [Movie Name] - UHD (2160p) and [Movie Name] - FHD (1080p)
For example: 
Code:
 'Ex Machina (2015) - FHD (1080p).mkv'
 'Ex Machina (2015) - UHD (2160p).mkv'

Back in 10.8.13 (and to my understanding of the mention documentation) the versions were order as followed:
First: FHD (1080p)
Second: UHD (2160p)

I’m aspecting this behaviour because in the documentation stands, that the order is alphabetical and only after resolution if the name ends with “p” or “i” and my naming scheme ands with “)”.
But now with version 10.9.2 the order is switched and is beginning with „UHD (2160p)“.
I also tested it with the names „UHD 2160“ and „UHD“ but without differences.

Because of this order change the default version is no longer the 1080p variant.
Unfortunately, this means that if such films are to be played back externally, the small 1080p version is not used by default, but the 2160p version. 
However, as Jellyfin has set a bandwidth limit of 10Mbit for external access, this version must now always be downsampled to 1080p first, which means (unnecessary) computing effort.

Have any of you observed similar behaviour or can you tell me whether I have set something wrong or misunderstood something?
It seems to me that the new version now always sorts by resolution first.

I have just found the following commit, which seems to be related to this.
In principle, it reverses this merge request.
However, this merge request also contains documentation changes, which may no longer be valid?
I am also unsure whether the "server ordering of media sources" can then be configured on the server side?

Many thanks and best regards
Xameon

RE: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - bitmap - 2024-05-18

Remove the parens and try again. Or replace with square brackets. Unsure whether this is the issue but the entire docs section has bare resolution or square brackets and describes that as the method for adding labels. FHD and UHD should still sort as expected (alphabetically), so this may not be the problem, but it's so easy it's worth a shot.

RE: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - xameon - 2024-05-18

Thanks for the tips.
I have tried it both without brackets, completely without resolution, as well as with square brackets, unfortunately all without success.
Tested:
Movie123 - UHD
Movie123 - UHD 2160
Movie123 - UHD 2160p
Movie123 - UHD (2160p)
Movie123 - [UHD 2160]
Movie123 - [UHD 2160p]

RE: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - visualblind - 2024-06-09

(2024-05-18, 09:13 PM)xameon Wrote: Thanks for the tips.
I have tried it both without brackets, completely without resolution, as well as with square brackets, unfortunately all without success.
Tested:
Movie123 - UHD
Movie123 - UHD 2160
Movie123 - UHD 2160p
Movie123 - UHD (2160p)
Movie123 - [UHD 2160]
Movie123 - [UHD 2160p]

Seems that the code that dealt with ordering must have changed from 10.8.13 > 10.9.3 regarding the default selected when employing multiple versions of a movie.
Back on 10.8.13 I typically preceded the first left bracketed label with numbers in decreasing priority. This way of trying to influence default order by manipulating the file name no longer works and it is being determined first by the choosing the media with largest resolution (metadata jellyfin obtains via ffprobe), and if resolution is identical I would assume it falls back to filename ordering.

Example which no longer works:

2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic/
├── 2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic - 1[720p 50fps H264].mp4
└── 2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic - 2[1080p 25fps H264].mp4

From the filenames above I was trying to force the default selected to be the 720p version, but since 1080p is a larger resolution that version will be the default regardless of what anyone else actually wants. I can understand the reason they changed it, but I feel it's taking too much control out of the hands of site owners.

RE: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-14

(2024-06-09, 03:11 AM)visualblind Wrote: I can understand the reason they changed it, but I feel it's taking too much control out of the hands of site owners.

I can actually not understand the reason why they changed it. Now 4K versions take precedence over 2Ks on mobile phones with small displays and 4G.

The behaviour of 10.8.13 was also not entirely correct but ways better than it is now. TVs should always default to the highest resolutions, yes, but phones and browsers should not. Browsers and the media player might be debatable but phones certainly shouldn't.

Ideally, the client should check the display's resolution and physical size before picking a default version. If the user opts to pick a different one it should remember this from that moment on.

RE: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-14

I forgot to mention that it should also go without saying that the server administrator's alphabetical sort order should be honoured in any case, and before resolutions. I for instance got lots of very old silent films. The preferred version of these films often has a lower resolution than others, for instance because the one with the lower resolution is the most complete one. Jellyfin 10.9 broke this functionality entirely.

RE: Wrong order of multiple versions of a movie - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-14

In my opinion, I feel like moving the sorting of multiple movies from being dependent on the filenames and towards something like an editable nfo could work wonders in these cases. The metadata could be such that each user would have complete control on how each movie is sorted and which is the default version (per movie entry).

(2024-06-14, 11:52 AM)ThomasPGH Wrote: I can actually not understand the reason why they changed it. Now 4K versions take precedence over 2Ks on mobile phones with small displays and 4G.

The behaviour of 10.8.13 was also not entirely correct but ways better than it is now. TVs should always default to the highest resolutions, yes, but phones and browsers should not. Browsers and the media player might be debatable but phones certainly shouldn't.

Ideally, the client should check the display's resolution and physical size before picking a default version. If the user opts to pick a different one it should remember this from that moment on.
And for cases such as these, a client setting to pick which resolution/bitrate to always play as default would be nice.