Jellyfin Forum
Host speed/VFIO question and media order speed? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Host speed/VFIO question and media order speed? (/t-host-speed-vfio-question-and-media-order-speed)

Host speed/VFIO question and media order speed? - Gotta - 2024-05-19

Hello!
Im looking to use a Linux Host to for Jellyfin (Maybe EndeavourOS)
and VMs for gaming, with VFIO etc

Jellyfin On NMVE
Media on HDD's

Nvidia Quadro P2200 for host
Nvidia 3080Ti for VMs

Does having Jellyfin on a 4,800mb/s NVME  Compared to a 7,000mb/s NVME really matter?
(not sure if Diminishing returns from SSD to NVME let alone NVME vs NVME )
Like will you actually see noticeable performance differences when you have the Jellyfin + Cache?
will this improve the snappiness/responsive time? - menus etc

Im looking to run a server for like 100 people, prob 20+ people using it at once
(How much ram and cpu/cores should i give the Jellyfin Host?) (i have 128gb ram / AMD 3950x 16core)

Also question - currently i have like 4x8TB HDDs with all my media, does having my files alphabetical help with performance?
Like instead of having movies that start with the letter A on all 4 drives, does having all the A movies on the 1st drive speed alphabetically help with performance?

Or no because since you're running server on NVME + all your meta data /menu stuff on NVME so its fast, but when you actually select the video it just goes to the HDDs path and plays it without downtime

I wasn't sure considering all the media is on a traditional hard drive with a disk/needle and like... the whole "Defrag type style" where your files are everywhere and then the needles has work to go back and forth etc... idk

RE: Host speed/VFIO question and media order speed? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-19

You have more important things to worry about than the NVMe drive's throughput (even a SATA SSD is fine).

You HAVE to encode your media for maximum compatibility. Transcoding DOES NOT scale to that many users. And definitely not with a P2200. H264 main, 8-bit, SDR video. Stereo AAC audio. External SRT sub files or burned in subs. That will ensure max compatibility and minimize transcoding.

If you can achieve 100% direct play, you could run Jellyfin on a potato.

RAM doesn't matter too much once you have more than 16GB of it. I have 3 instances (2 for testing) and cumulatively uses less than 4GB of RAM most of the time (library scans spawn a lot of ffmpeg processes).

TLDR; Good luck, you're going to need it.

RE: Host speed/VFIO question and media order speed? - Gotta - 2024-05-20

(2024-05-19, 06:24 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: You have more important things to worry about than the NVMe drive's throughput (even a SATA SSD is fine).

You HAVE to encode your media for maximum compatibility.  Transcoding DOES NOT scale to that many users.  And definitely not with a P2200.  H264 main, 8-bit, SDR video.  Stereo AAC audio.  External SRT sub files or burned in subs.  That will ensure max compatibility and minimize transcoding.

If you can achieve 100% direct play, you could run Jellyfin on a potato.

RAM doesn't matter too much once you have more than 16GB of it.  I have 3 instances (2 for testing) and cumulatively uses less than 4GB of RAM most of the time (library scans spawn a lot of ffmpeg processes).

TLDR; Good luck, you're going to need it.

Ahh yeah fair enough, the DirectPlay is the way to go, that's what i've currently been doing honestly, i don't ever see transcoding being done lol
but yeahh i have a AMD 3950x CPU, i can also use too, i wish i had an intel for quicksync lol! almost debating on buying a 14900k for the UD770 IGPU and just quicksync off that, could probably get away with buying a ddr4 board that supports the CPU, so i could use my 128GB RAM, 

but im tied between either doing the CPU swap - or buy a AX1600i to replace my RM850X and grab a Radeon 7800 xt to replace the Quadro P2200 as a host, i use 3080Ti for other VM/Games.

Thanks again btw!

RE: Host speed/VFIO question and media order speed? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-20

If you aren't gaming, get an Intel Arc GPU. They are transcoding rock stars.