Jellyfin Forum
Trickplay Tile Width/Height - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Trickplay Tile Width/Height (/t-trickplay-tile-width-height)

Trickplay Tile Width/Height - saha - 2024-05-19

Hello, I'm not very familiar with Trickplay, but I am wondering what the tile width and tile height settings do? I would like to increase the size of the trickplay image on the screen, but I'm not sure what exactly these settings do, but I'm guessing to increase the size in general I would need to increase the width resolution setting?

RE: Trickplay Tile Width/Height - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-19

Trickplay files are found at "config/metadata/library/". The trickplay files are all .jpg files. If you open one, you'll quickly see what the tile width and height refer to.
If you increase the width resolution, you're just making the single images each be generated with more pixels, resulting in clearer scrubbing, but that will not be resized on your clients (and it will take up more disk space). It's up to the client to adjust how big the scrub preview appears on your screen.

Here's an example trickplay file my server generated for the first part of the 2002 Spider-Man movie. I set the tile width and height to both be 14.

[Image: WP2SXqU.jpeg]

On the image, you'll see that the resolution of the entire trickplay file comes from all the single image intervals added together.
You're basically shoving a lot of smaller images together, and saving them as a single image while not messing with their resolution, so the final grouped image resolution will be based off of your trickplay settings.

There's no real point to mess around with that settings for both tile width or tile height, the default of 10 on both works fine. Just don't give both a small number, or a really big number.
If you make the tile width or height a small value, you'll end up with a bunch of small .jpg files per video.
If you make the tile width or height something crazy like 100, you'll end up braking or bugging out the scrubbing in the video player.

The reason you would want to mess with it is to lower the amount of trickplay files for things like movies that have a lot more runtime. Depending on the movie duration, you'll end up with multiple trickplay files, each named as [0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg etc..]. If you increase the tiles that can fit in a single .jpg, you'll decrease the amount of the total trickplay files you need per video.

On the other hand, if you make trickplay files hold a lot of tiles, you end up with this on a lot of lower-duration shows:

[Image: 7GgEBkF.jpeg]

This wastes a few KB of disk space just to hold the blank data just to complete the trickplay file.

Really, messing around with tiles will not gain much space saving. We're talking about a few tens to a few hundred KB per file at best if you optimize it for your media.

RE: Trickplay Tile Width/Height - saha - 2024-05-19

(2024-05-19, 03:01 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Trickplay files are found at "config/metadata/library/". The trickplay files are all .jpg files. If you open one, you'll quickly see what the tile width and height refer to.
If you increase the width resolution, you're just making the single images each be generated with more pixels, resulting in clearer scrubbing, but that will not be resized on your clients (and it will take up more disk space). It's up to the client to adjust how big the scrub preview appears on your screen.

Here's an example trickplay file my server generated for the first part of the 2002 Spider-Man movie. I set the tile width and height to both be 14.

[Image: WP2SXqU.jpeg]

On the image, you'll see that the resolution of the entire trickplay file comes from all the single image intervals added together.
You're basically shoving a lot of smaller images together, and saving them as a single image while not messing with their resolution, so the final grouped image resolution will be based off of your trickplay settings.

There's no real point to mess around with that settings for both tile width or tile height, the default of 10 on both works fine. Just don't give both a small number, or a really big number.
If you make the tile width or height a small value, you'll end up with a bunch of small .jpg files per video.
If you make the tile width or height something crazy like 100, you'll end up braking or bugging out the scrubbing in the video player.

The reason you would want to mess with it is to lower the amount of trickplay files for things like movies that have a lot more runtime. Depending on the movie duration, you'll end up with multiple trickplay files, each named as [0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg etc..]. If you increase the tiles that can fit in a single .jpg, you'll decrease the amount of the total trickplay files you need per video.

On the other hand, if you make trickplay files hold a lot of tiles, you end up with this on a lot of lower-duration shows:

[Image: 7GgEBkF.jpeg]

This wastes a few KB of disk space just to hold the blank data just to complete the trickplay file.

Really, messing around with tiles will not gain much space saving. We're talking about a few tens to a few hundred KB per file at best if you optimize it for your media.

Thank you, I understand now. I did notice that increasing the normal width resolution did end up making the preview pane bigger on my screen. Now the issue is that Jellyfin doesn’t delete the old Trickplay files from my previous settings. I can probably just use the windows explorer search to delete all trickplay files to regenerate from scratch.