Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB (/t-jellyfin-media-player-change-cache-size-to-above-500-mb)

Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - 34626 - 2024-05-20

I wonder if its possible to change the cache size of Jellyfin Media Player to above 500 MB?

Also wondering if this can be adjusted on the server side? Reason is to get data as fast as possible to client side, and also, could it be possible to set a time on the cache timeout? Lets say the cached data should be stored for like 10 hours or untill it has been played over 90%?

RE: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - Bagimuvi97 - 2024-05-22

Can anyone answer this topic? I'm looking for someone to answer because I have the same topic. If anyone has solution, please tag me. Thanks a lot.

MP3 Juice enables you to search for music and download free MP3s.
With MP3 Juices, you can search for your favorite songs and save them at up to 320kbps directly to your device.
Whether you’re looking for streaming music or downloading MP3s, this platform has you covered! More information visit: 
mp3 juice tubidy y2mate

RE: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-22

(2024-05-20, 06:24 PM)34626 Wrote: Lets say the cached data should be stored for like 10 hours or untill it has been played over 90%?
What's the purpose of this? The cache is normally designed to stay for the duration of the viewing session. Once the player closes, the cache is released. The media player doesn't have an offline mode as it always needs to stay connected to the Jellyfin server, so the preserved cache would be useless when your server is offline.

Also, if this was how it worked, you'd have to keep the media player always open (at least in the background) so that it knows when 10 hours went by so that it can delete the cache.

Wouldn't this use case be better served by just direct downloading the entire file and playing it locally?

RE: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - 34626 - 2024-05-22

(2024-05-22, 01:14 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:
(2024-05-20, 06:24 PM)34626 Wrote: Lets say the cached data should be stored for like 10 hours or untill it has been played over 90%?
What's the purpose of this? The cache is normally designed to stay for the duration of the viewing session. Once the player closes, the cache is released. The media player doesn't have an offline mode as it always needs to stay connected to the Jellyfin server, so the preserved cache would be useless when your server is offline.

Also, if this was how it worked, you'd have to keep the media player always open (at least in the background) so that it knows when 10 hours went by so that it can delete the cache.

Wouldn't this use case be better served by just direct downloading the entire file and playing it locally?

The purpose is to get the media that is being played sent to the client, not for offline mode, but to ensure a clean playback - An example, if you watch a movie while traveling in train, or are a place with unstable Wi-Fi or mobile network, it would try and get the entire movie down, as fast as possibleble, but not for offline mode, and the time period for i to keep the data, could just be based on date and or time the data is cached/downloaded, but after 10 hours, it should be cleared (Maby the 10 hour thing, should be a thing users at client side can customize).

So it's not a download feature that requires user interaction, but how aggressive the media can be sent to the client, for best possible playback experience.

I dont know how cache function, if that only in the RAM or on the disk? But its on the disk that could have interest, but just as tempoerary storage to ensure the user experience.

RE: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-22

There's probably a misunderstanding here. I'm specifically talking about why the cache would need to be stored after closing the video player.

I'm all for having a larger cache size. I just think keeping it after is unnecessary.

I should mention that Jellyfin Media Player does have a section in the bottom of its settings where you can directly edit the mpv.conf file for it. The box does state any changes you add in the box will override the settings above it.

Take a look at the cache settings you can change in the MPV documentation: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#cache

It does state that you can no longer specify a size in bytes for the cache setting though and you'll need to use something else:

Quote:Before mpv 0.30.0, this used to accept a number, which specified the size of the cache in kilobytes. Use e.g. --cache --demuxer-max-bytes=123k instead.

Also from the same manual related to what I posted before this:

Quote:When the media is closed, the cache file is deleted. A cache file is generally worthless after the media is closed, and it's hard to retrieve any media data from it (it's not supported by design).

RE: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - 34626 - 2024-05-22

There can be many reasons to close Jellyfin Media Player(also for smartphone/tablet) why the option to set time on how long the data should be saved, but do also mention that if the movie is played +90% it should be able to remove before time or when playback is stopped, but that could also be editable, like library size by default is set to 100 and if set to 0 its unlimited, but then the timeout could be used. Maby er person plays 20% of a movie, then something comes in the way, after anhour contiue to see till 50% and so on. But it should be a free option, but most people does have enough storage on their computer/smartphone and tablet for such a feature.

(2024-05-22, 06:02 PM)34626 Wrote: There can be many reasons to close Jellyfin Media Player(also for smartphone/tablet)
That's the problem. The server, nor any Jellyfin clients (apart from Finamp), do not currently support any type of offline mode.

What good is the saved cache going to do for you if you can't open the client and navigate to the cached video? Literally, the only way your idea would currently work is for you to make sure to never close the video player (at least for 10 hours in your case) or keep it in the background and hope your device doesn't close it automatically to free up resources. Though if you think about it, if you never close the video player, you basically put a lock on the cache from being deleted, so no extra code needed to save the cache for when you're offline.

I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm saying your cache-storing suggestion will not currently work until Jellyfin implements official offline support. Until then, you'll get better results just downloading the original file to your local device for when you don't have access to your server.

RE: Jellyfin Media Player - Change cache size to above 500 MB - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-22

(2024-05-22, 06:42 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:  The server, nor any Jellyfin clients (apart from Finamp), do not currently support any type of offline mode.

Don't forget about Findroid.