Jellyfin Forum
General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup (/t-general-help-getting-jellyfin-libraries-setup)

General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup - Creachy - 2024-05-21

Hi there! 

I've had a Roku for the last few years that I'll plug my external hard drive in to and run Roku media player to play my files.  Recently, I've encountered more and more errors in having my media play correctly and surmised that setting up a home media server is a good way to solve my issues.  I just so happen to have an old 2013 laptop laying around (i5-4500m, 8gb of DDR3, 750Gb HHD) that would be perfect.  I managed to get Ubuntu Server up and running (first time Linux user) and was able to get Jellyfin up and running on said server.  I followed the guide on the Jellyfin website and installed it via the automatic repository, allowed the firewall, logged in to the Jellyfin server, and voila! I was in! It felt incredible to be able to get that far! 

I have now spent the last 24 hours trying to add a media library and keep getting stuck.  I can't for the life of me find my drive when I go to add it to the library.  It has been an incredibly humbling experience lol.  I have looked up my issue and tried following guides but keep getting stuck.  ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

RE: General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-21

Use the command "sudo fdisk -l" to list out all the connected disks. In that list, find the device that corresponds to your external hard drive and then we can proceed from there.

The output will look something like this. One for each hard drive.

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 931.51 GiB, 1000203804160 bytes, 1953523055 sectors
Disk model: WDC WD1001FALS-0
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: DF69ABDA-FC64-4CC6-9CC6-2D799FB8F4E5

Device     Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sdb1   2048 1953521663 1953519616 931.5G Linux filesystem

RE: General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup - Creachy - 2024-05-21

Hi Dread, thanks for the reply.  When I ran that, I got:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 698.64 GiB, 750156374016 bytes, 1465149168 sectors                                                      
Disk model: HGST HTS541075A9                                                                                            
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                  
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                    
Disk identifier: 566D0C85-4339-493F-9795-513FB55C51EA

Device      Start        End    Sectors  Size Type                                                                    
/dev/sda1    2048    2203647    2201600    1G EFI System                                                              
/dev/sda2  2203648 1465145343 1462941696 697.6G Linux filesystem                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Disk /dev/loop8: 137.29 MiB, 143962112 bytes, 281176 sectors                                                            
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                  
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Disk /dev/sdc: 3.64 TiB, 4000787030016 bytes, 7814037168 sectors                                                       
Disk model: EXTERNAL_USB                                                                                               
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                  
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                    
Disk identifier: C344ACC7-95D5-4E10-9CEC-271E2C9230DA

Device      Start        End    Sectors  Size Type                                                                      
/dev/sdc1      34    262177    262144  128M Microsoft reserved                                                        
/dev/sdc2  264192 7814035455 7813771264  3.6T Microsoft basic data

also, pardon the *incredibly* stupid question, but is there a better way to format code replies? I hit the code button and pasted what I copied and it came out like this
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 698.64 GiB, 750156374016 bytes, 1465149168 sectors                                                                                                                                                                            Disk model: HGST HTS541075A9                                                                                                                                                                                                                Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                                        Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                      I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                          Disklabel type: gpt                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Disk identifier: 566D0C85-4339-493F-9795-513FB55C51EA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Device      Start        End    Sectors  Size Type                                                                                                                                                                                        /dev/sda1    2048    2203647    2201600    1G EFI System                                                                                                                                                                                  /dev/sda2  2203648 1465145343 1462941696 697.6G Linux filesystem                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Disk /dev/loop8: 137.29 MiB, 143962112 bytes, 281176 sectors                                                                                                                                                                                Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                                        Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                        I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Disk /dev/sdc: 3.64 TiB, 4000787030016 bytes, 7814037168 sectors                                                                                                                                                                            Disk model: EXTERNAL_USB                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                                        Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                      I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                          Disklabel type: gpt                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Disk identifier: C344ACC7-95D5-4E10-9CEC-271E2C9230DA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Device      Start        End    Sectors  Size Type                                                                                                                                                                                          /dev/sdc1      34    262177    262144  128M Microsoft reserved                                                                                                                                                                            /dev/sdc2  264192 7814035455 7813771264  3.6T Microsoft basic data
And I manually dropped everything down and reformatted it.  Am I just stupid and missing an easier way to copy/paste?

RE: General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-21

Do the device we want is /dev/sdc2

Code:
sudo cat /proc/mounts | grep sdc

What is the output.

For code blocks, for one liners just put the code open and close before and after.  For multi-line code blocks the open and close should be above and below the code block itself.

RE: General help getting Jellyfin libraries setup - Creachy - 2024-05-21

Output is:

Code:
/dev/sdc2 /media/chris/mediadrive ntfs3 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Perfect, thank you for the tip

I was also hitting Ctrl+Shift+C instead of just right clicking the highlighted code, right clicking fixed my formatting