Jellyfin Forum
Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan (/t-media-files-get-deleted-from-drive-on-library-scan)

Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - Mattatjahu - 2024-05-27

Hey people,
i seek your help on a strange problem I encountered while organizing the media files for a new show. Midway through creating the Season XX folder structure I started noticing that one Season had disappeared. Now I am certain after some testing that on a rescan of all libraries some files get deleted entirely without notice. I wasn't able to find a pattern though since for some reason one of the seasons that got deletes previously is now kept in the directory and identified correctly.

For what reason might Jellyfin remove files from my drive and how might I prevent this behaviour? (I tried to recover the deleted files but about 50 % was unrecoverable)

I'm fairly new to Jellyfin and this forum, so please tell me what other info I should provide.

Thanks for any help!

P.S.
Maybe I can clear this up a bit more:
I can create any folder with any name and they appear in Jellyfin under that exact name as an unidentified season. Any folder that resemble the names Season 15,17-19,21-25 just disappears on a rescan along with its contents. Seasons 20 and 26 seem to stay because there are specials released after them which are deisplayed.

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - kandykarter - 2024-05-27

Are you using Sonarr? Jellyfin doesn't delete things in an automated sense, but I have had issues where Sonarr got caught in a weird loop where it would download something, Jellyfin would scan it, then Sonarr would delete it, and repeat.

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - Mattatjahu - 2024-05-27

(2024-05-27, 03:13 PM)kandykarter Wrote: Are you using Sonarr? Jellyfin doesn't delete things in an automated sense, but I have had issues where Sonarr got caught in a weird loop where it would download something, Jellyfin would scan it, then Sonarr would delete it, and repeat.

Thanks, but no never used it. And I know that Jellyfin doesn't delete files by itself, never experienced that before but I can repeatedly observe the same behaviour now Confounded-face

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-27

Can you provide your full jellyfin logs via pastebin? And provide examples of the folder structure, folder names, and file names? Which metadata source you're using?

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - Mattatjahu - 2024-05-28

(2024-05-27, 06:28 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can you provide your full jellyfin logs via pastebin?  And provide examples of the folder structure, folder names, and file names?  Which metadata source you're using?

Thank you for the immediate response. Apparently it is now sorted out and works without issues. The only thing I did differently this time was to not scan the whole library but rather only update the show itself.

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - Sylvain LOMBARD - 2024-06-05

I follow, I have the same type of problem with my jellyfin server

I am encountering an issue with my Jellyfin server. Every time the server running on Windows 11 Pro scans the media library, it deletes some video files and even entire subfolders.

For example, I have a file in the folder: "J:\8To 4\SERIES\Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken\s 01\Moi, Quand Je Me Réincarne En Slime - S01e01 - Veldra, Le Dragon Des Ouragans x265-Amen.mkv". (or J:\8To 4\SERIES\Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken\s 02 for the second season)

Once the scan is launched,
after a few minutes, both subfolders S 01 and S 02 and all files are deleted from the PC and, of course, disappear from my Jellyfin library. I 'm with Jellyfin  10.9.4.

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-05

This is a known bug. Renaming the folders to "Season 01" and "Season 02" appears to be a workaround until 10.9.5 is released.

RE: Media files get deleted from drive on library scan - Sylvain LOMBARD - 2024-06-05

(2024-06-05, 02:22 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: This is a known bug.  Renaming the folders to "Season 01" and "Season 02" appears to be a workaround until 10.9.5 is released.

thank you.