Jellyfin Forum
Long Library Scans - MusicBrainz Rate Limit Change? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Long Library Scans - MusicBrainz Rate Limit Change? (/t-long-library-scans-musicbrainz-rate-limit-change)

Long Library Scans - MusicBrainz Rate Limit Change? - gccalvin - 2024-05-28

Hello,

I've noticed ever since updating to 10.9.0+ (currently on 10.9.3) my library scans take about 6 times longer.

Previously, the scans were about 1-2 minutes max, now they are consistently 12 minutes.

I've limited this down to the music library, and found that the MusicBrainz plugin has a rate limit set to 2. I changed that to one, and now the scans take 6 minutes.

Looking at the MusicBrainz Rate Limiting, under Source IP address, it shows the rate limit of 1 request per second, which lines up with the description in the Jellyfin MusicBrainz plugin.

Did something change between 10.8.x to 10.9.x in how Jellyfin requests the metadata so that it is affected by these limits?

Thank you.

RE: Long Library Scans - MusicBrainz Rate Limit Change? - baxtr - 2024-05-29

(2024-05-28, 11:38 PM)gccalvin Wrote: Hello,

I've noticed ever since updating to 10.9.0+ (currently on 10.9.3) my library scans take about 6 times longer.
Previously, the scans were about 1-2 minutes max, now they are consistently 12 minutes.
I've limited this down to the music library, and found that the MusicBrainz plugin has a rate limit set to 2. I changed that to one, and now the scans take 6 minutes.
Looking at the MusicBrainz Rate Limiting, under Source IP address, it shows the rate limit of 1 request per second, which lines up with the description in the Jellyfin MusicBrainz plugin.
Did something change between 10.8.x to 10.9.x in how Jellyfin requests the metadata so that it is affected by these limits?

Thank you.

OMG I am glad you posted this, my music scan was painfully slow but I just assumed it was because I moved everything to a different server and set it all up as new so it was taking days.. 80.0% yesterday,  80.1% today.  I looked at my musicbrainz plugin and it was set to 2000 Face-screaming-in-fear .  I have never looked into the plugin settings so that is the default it was at for some reason.  Changed it to (1) and I can actually see the % ticking up.  Thank you!!!

RE: Long Library Scans - MusicBrainz Rate Limit Change? - gccalvin - 2024-06-02

10.9.4 seems to have resolved this "issue". I'm guessing that when scanning for new and updated files in 10.9.0-10.9.3 it was polling MusicBrainz for more than what was needed. If you don't add any tracks to your library and perform a scan, it shouldn't need to go to MusicBrainz at all, and even then the number of requests should be minimal for not needing any new metadata.

My full library scans are now taking less than a minute, so everything is working as it was pre-10.9.