Jellyfin Forum
How to import metadata that is added manually in the source file into Jellyfin - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: How to import metadata that is added manually in the source file into Jellyfin (/t-how-to-import-metadata-that-is-added-manually-in-the-source-file-into-jellyfin)

How to import metadata that is added manually in the source file into Jellyfin - M H - 2024-05-30

Hello guys, I have a collection of mp4 JAV videos and I have been manually add the metadata (usually thumbnails and actresses). I just now discover Jellyfin so that I can stream it elsewhere beside my PC. My question is how should one just simply sync the cover art/thumbnails of the mp4s to Jellyfin to display it?
Another question for later is that also how do you get to sort by the actress name. Thank you so much

RE: How to import metadata that is added manually in the source file into Jellyfin - MrFusion - 2024-05-30

Depending on what you mean by 'manually adding' and to where, if you've saved them directly into the mp4, when setting up a library you could see if moving Extract Embedded Images as primary image extractor works for you. I'd set the library to prefer embedded titles over filenames in that case too.

I'd also switch on the 'save artwork to local media folders'

If the images are just in the same folder, depending on orientation, it can be used as poster.ext or landscape.ext by simply renaming. If you manually add these by dragging into Jellyfin - poster is 'Primary' and landscape is 'Thumb' in the edit images section. You can only have one of each though.

You can set your library view in a number or ways, and Im guessing landscape would be desired. Use the Thumb or Thumb Card view for the library. If you have several images in the folder, for safety, I'd copy the desired image and rename the copy 'landscape' to avoid accidental deletion in the future (picking and dragging an image into the Jellyfin add image section won't delete the images in the folder, but will overwrite the previous 'poster' or 'landscape' image.

But you'd probably also be better served to look at an appropriate metadata plugin for the content. I'm not familiar with any for the specified content, but it is the same logic for any video content, get the right metadata plugin, select the metadata agents you want to use in the manage library section, and then place them in the order they should be used, make sure your files are named in the convention needed for searching.

This leads to your second question, the right metadata plugin will likely find actor images, and/or you can edit and manually add their image from local content. Actor images aren't saved in the same folder as a movie though. They are stored separately in the database, but adding them within Jellyfin will save a copy to the right location and not move the original picture from the movie folder.

You can't directly sort by actors, as there is no default 'people' section on Home Screen, but you could (and it'd be pretty manual) favourite every person, and then see them in your favourites tab in the People section and then sort that list by name.

Finally, if you have been using something like Plex and the metadata was/is in there already, there are Plex plugins that can save that data into an .nfo file into the movie folder, and you can configure Jellyfin library to look for the .nfo in the movie folder on import.