Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Playback Error - New User/Setup - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Playback Error - New User/Setup (/t-solved-playback-error-new-user-setup)

Playback Error - New User/Setup - cjsmile999 - 2024-06-01

Hello All!

Hoping to enlist some help from the experts.  I'm brand new to Jellyfin and just installed version 10.9.3 on Windows 10.  I've loaded up a few movies and I see them successfully added to the library.  However when I click to play any of them I receive the following error "Playback Error - Playback failed due to a fatal player error".  It does that for any movie.  I'm doing this directly from the server from Chrome browser.  I can successfully launch the movie from Windows Explorer (just testing the movies weren't corrupted).  I've attached the log file.  Help to get Jellyfin working would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
CJ

RE: Playback Error - New User/Setup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-01

Did you setup transcoding correctly? ffmpeg crashed.

What are your server specs?

RE: Playback Error - New User/Setup - cjsmile999 - 2024-06-01

Good morning! Everything from a transcoding I left as default (no settings were modified). I don't intend to play any movies outside of my home network. Below are my server specs (I know quite dismal).

Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model 500-a60
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Product 2B05
BaseBoard Version 1.00
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.3636"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.45 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.52 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.64 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.12 GB
Page File Space 1.19 GB
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Transcoding isn't just for changing the bit rate. It is also for client compatibility. Which is the problem. Your client can't play the file as is and wanted a transcode but the transcode failed. And I need to see the ffmpeg log (same directory as the main Jellyfin log) to figure out why. Could be as simple as a permission issue, but I'd need to see the log to figure that out.

There is no ffmpeg log located in the dir (C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\log). I only see "log_yyyyMMDD.log".

I turned on debugging, and I see some ffmpeg info located in the debugging level.  Does this help?  Attached is the log.

It is trying to burn in subtitles (transcoding).

What do you see in the Jellyfin UI in Dashboard > Playback? Is hardware acceleration currently set to none?

Correct. Hardware Acceleration is set to "None". The only check box on the page that is checked is "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly". I did uncheck this and tried playback, but it still did not work.

I re-read the log and it looks like it is failing to extract the subtitles on the fly. Install the Subtitle Extract plugin (in the official plugin repo), reboot, then go to Dashboard > Scheduled Tasks and run the subtitle extraction job.

RE: Playback Error - New User/Setup - cjsmile999 - 2024-08-20

Hello Good morning! Apologize for the long delay in-between post. Had a bit of some health issues, but I'm back at it again. Sir, you are correct. It's seemed to be related to the subtitles. I re-did the subtitles and all is well. Appreciate your assistance!