Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play (/t-solved-playback-error-unable-to-find-a-valid-media-source-to-play)

Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - webs - 2024-06-01

Hi looking for some help with this issue.

When I go to play a file from my 'Shows' library - an episode that's been added to any Series that's been new to my library since sometime after the 6th of May 2024, I get a "Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play" error.

Interesting observations:
- movies or media added to other libraries (movies, music clips) after that date play fine
- recently added episodes (eg yesterday) to Series that already existed in my Shows library prior to that date are fine!
- if I "Copy Stream URL" on an non-playable media file, then paste that URL into my browser, it successfully downloads the media file
- I get the same error on web or android clients
- I can't see anything generated in the server logs when I click on the file and get the error, even with debugging level on! Nothing is logged
- if I add the non-playable media to a playlist, then go to playlists and click on the line item of that episode - it won't play, with the same error
- but in the same playlist, if I click the play button at the top of the playlist, the file will play!!

Setup:
Running docker jellyfin on unraid (linuxserver.io)
v10.9.3 everything

Any ideas on what to try? Driving me nuts Confounded-face

I haven't tried blowing away the Shows library just yet... it's pretty big and worry that it'll make everything unplayable, as it'll all be added >6th May.

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - khf620 - 2024-06-01

Hmm, this is a pretty odd issue.

The fact that the stream URL does work leads me to think this is a web client issue. Have you tried a non-web client like Swiftfin, Android TV, etc to see if the files play there?

Sounds like a bug with your shows library prevents the web client from being able to play it for some reason.

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - webs - 2024-06-01

Good idea - just tried with JellyPlayer!

When I click on one of the problem shows, I get the error: "Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'Name')"

Maybe a hint to the problem? hmm

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - webs - 2024-06-01

OK, I think I found the source of the problem: if I remove aniDB from the metadata fetchers and rescan all metadata for a broken show, it fixes it!
This seems like a good enough solution Smiling-face
I don't think it was used much anyway - it was near the bottom of the lists as a fetcher.

This was v8.0.0.0 of the plugin.

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - dalben - 2024-06-18

I have the same issue. Initiating a metadata refresh of the show fixes the issue. What concerns me is I don't know how many of my shows are impacted nor if there is a way to bulk metadata refresh for all the impacted shows.

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - tunicstudious - 2024-06-25

(2024-06-01, 09:14 AM)khf620 Wrote: Hmm, this is a pretty odd issue.

The fact that the stream URL does work leads me to think this is a web client issue. Have you tried a non-web client like Swiftfin, Android TV, etc to see if the files play there?

Sounds like a bug with your shows library prevents the web client from being able to play it for some reason.
I tried with Swiftfin and it worked quite smoothly

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - dalben - 2024-06-25

(2024-06-25, 03:29 AM)tunicstudious Wrote:
(2024-06-01, 09:14 AM)khf620 Wrote: Hmm, this is a pretty odd issue.

I tried with Swiftfin and it worked quite smoothly

Same here.  Swiftfin worked.  The webclient struggles as does the Android client.  Also noticed that when using Kodi, the library misses seasons or all the shows.  Re-identifying the shows seems to correct the issue.  Reconfirming that adding a show to the playlist and playing from the playlist works fine.

RE: Playback error - Unable to find a valid media source to play - MarcPDaddy - 2024-07-08

I can reproduce this issue as well. What's odd is that it worked fine in Android client for me initially but then got the " Unable to find a valid media source to play" for family and I.
I did refresh Metadata and it fixed it - although with the wrong show/image. I cleaned up data and locked it and it still plays fine from Web and Android clients now.