Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin not playing - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin not playing (/t-jellyfin-not-playing)

Jellyfin not playing - doobs - 2024-06-01

So, I've got Jellyfin installed on a repurposed Protectli Vault FW2B - 2 Port, Firewall Micro Appliance/Mini PC - Intel Dual Core, AES-NI, Barebone, which has an 8gb memory and a 256gb mSATA SSD.

On it, I'm running:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
Release: 24.04
Codename: noble

Twice now Jellyfin has decided to not play media. When tried from my Android TV or phone, it doesn't play, but when tried from the browser (in PaleMoon) I get a "system can't play this media" type of error.
Both times, SSH-ing into the device and doing a sudo update and then sudo upgrade has solved the issue.

While not honorous for me, oftentimes I'm not readily available and my wife is most decidedly not able to go through this gyration.

I've got another device acting as a server for Jopling in which the following was instantiated:

sudo apt install unattended-upgrades apt-listchanges
echo unattended-upgrades unattended-upgrades/enable_auto_updates boolean true | sudo debconf-set-selections
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive unattended-upgrades

Can I do this with this device to eliminate the need for the manual update/upgrade cycle?

Thanks,

RE: Jellyfin not playing - enesha - 2024-06-01

Heya! Smiling-face Not a JF developer, but thought i'd throw sys admin in there Smiling-face doing apt update - upgrade will only do SOMETHING if theres something to do. If there are no updates it update will tell upgrade that and it will just tell you nothing needs to be done. It *should* only affect JF if there's a related upgrade. -server -web or ffmpeg6 etc. only then would it upgrade and restart the process. I say all that just to suggest that doing anything with apt is either placebo or just the recent updates for 10.9.x. Also, were it to be useful, running unattended upgrades would check and do things daily(?) I think, which really wouldn't be on demand for your purposes

Is there anything you can post from your log abouts the time of some failures?

RE: Jellyfin not playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-01

Can you share your full Jellyfin logs with us via pastebin?

RE: Jellyfin not playing - doobs - 2024-06-01

(2024-06-01, 06:11 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can you share your full Jellyfin logs with us via pastebin?

Sure.  Where might they be?

RE: Jellyfin not playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-01

/var/log/jellyfin/

RE: Jellyfin not playing - doobs - 2024-06-02

Never done a pastebin before...

This is the log from yesterday:

https://pastebin.com/HUUuemnf

cheers

RE: Jellyfin not playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-02

This log is almost entirely webhook notification messages. I don't see any logs related to playback. Replicate the problem then share the fresh log.

RE: Jellyfin not playing - doobs - 2024-06-03

Well, this is not something that I can replicate.

As indicated, it has happened twice.

The server will refuse to playback mp3 files. Haven't tried it with anything else.

A sudo update/upgrade solves the issue.

Will enabling auto-updates create any issues?

This is what I have for my other box:

sudo apt install unattended-upgrades apt-listchanges
echo unattended-upgrades unattended-upgrades/enable_auto_updates boolean true | sudo debconf-set-selections
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive unattended-upgrades

thanks

RE: Jellyfin not playing - pcm - 2024-06-03

Quote:The server will refuse to playback mp3 files. Haven't tried it with anything else.

Here's what you can do that will help us troubleshoot your problem.

1. SSH into your jellyfin server host.
2. Run
Code:
cd /var/log/jellyfin && tail -f $(ls -1tr | tail -1)
4. Hit the enter key a few times so that there will a gap from the last log line
5. Try playing an mp3 file
6. If you then switch over to terminal on your server host running the command from step-3, you should see relevant log informing you of precisely what went wrong.
7. Copy and paste that log
8. Repeat steps 1-7 for a video/movie/tvshow and paste those logs here if you encounter an error while playing them.

Quote:A sudo update/upgrade solves the issue.

Will enabling auto-updates create any issues?

This is hard for anyone to say without looking at the relevant logs.

RE: Jellyfin not playing - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-03

Ok. Without relevant logs its hard to diagnose. The next time this happens copy the log somewhere so it doesn't get overwritten and then share it with us.