Jellyfin Forum
Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files (/t-jellyfin-possibily-deleted-some-files)

Pages: 1 2

Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - Nerokor - 2024-06-02

I run the linuxserver of jellyfin docker on Unraid. 

If anyone can work with me to find out what happened exactly so this doesn't happen again I would really apprecaite it.

I upgraded to 10.9.4 and ran a full library scan. I wanted to see if it still failed unless Parallell libary scan task limit was set to 1. It looked to be working! There was a change to something involving season folder names that this person had an issue with: https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/11916

I had a few shows that when I added I did "Season 1 - Name of Season" if it was a long running show and had unique arcs or season names. Which fits into the above github issue for the few shows I had but not a problem so I set out to fix my season folder names.

My One Pace and One Piece were such shows that I had with that name scheme and were completely deleted I panticed because I thought it would delete every show with that naming but as far as I've seen it's just One Piece and One Pace. The One Pace folder was completely gone but the One Piece folder still existed. I assume the only reason being is because the metadata folder inside had a few lingering thumbnails from the Specials folder for episodes I had renamed and forgot to delete, so they were not associated with any episodes. The One Piece folder had changed permission and the date and time of the One Piece folder line up with the scan in Jellyfin.  {In attachments)

I hope someone knows or can help me figure out what the heck happen. If any more information is needed let me know. Thanks!

RE: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - Nerokor - 2024-06-02

I've found a few more shows all which followed the same naming of "Season 1 - Name" and their files and folders are compeltely gone. Bleach and Hunter x Hunter. It appears to only have been my anime library? Not every anime show I had with this name scheme was deleted though just the ones mentioned so far. The one or two TV shows that had that same naming don't appear to have been deleted.

It is definately something with Jellyfin. My Monogatari series was one that survied it didn't have "Season 1 - Name" It was really unique in that it was just the plain name of the Story Arc as a folder name. So I went and renamed them all to Season 1, Seaosn 2, etc and then did "Refresh Metadata > Scan for new and updated files" and it deleted them all in front of me.

RE: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - niels - 2024-06-02

There is an issue in 10.9.4 for named season folders. We've already figured out what is causing it and working on a fix for 10.9.5. In the meantime you can downgrade to 10.9.3.

(2024-06-02, 11:30 AM)niels Wrote: There is an issue in 10.9.4 for named season folders. We've already figured out what is causing it and working on a fix for 10.9.5. In the meantime you can downgrade to 10.9.3.

I'm glad it's getting fixed. Just to reiterate those media files were deleted from my system. Just wanted to make that clear incase it's important to any other issues.

Thanks aagain for everything, big fan of the work you do!

RE: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-02

Did you actually see the video files (not metadata) were deleted from your storage? Or are you talking about just in Jellyfin's GUI?

I was affected by this too, but didn't have anything deleted. I had season folders for each show named with their season name instead of "season ##".
So after the update to v10.9.4, all shows had their episodes grouped into a single season. I basically lost all my metadata too since I think Jellyfin saw them as all having new paths which would delete my season's nfo files.

I have snapshots enabled on my storage server, so I reverted back to how things were before I updated. I'm back on v10.9.3 for the time being. It sucks that you lost media from this.

(2024-06-02, 01:10 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Did you actually see the video files (not metadata) were deleted from your storage? Or are you talking about just in Jellyfin's GUI?

I was affected by this too, but didn't have anything deleted. I had season folders for each show named with their season name instead of "season ##".
So after the update to v10.9.4, all shows had their episodes grouped into a single season. I basically lost all my metadata too since I think Jellyfin saw them as all having new paths which would delete my season's nfo files.

I have snapshots enabled on my storage server, so I reverted back to how things were before I updated. I'm back on v10.9.3 for the time being. It sucks that you lost media from this.

The actual media files were deleted for a few of my shows not just in the GUI. It didn't happen to all of them, some did what you said "shows had their episodes grouped into a single season" but 5 shows were completely deleted. 

One of the shows had a "season name" for the seasons like you did that had the issue you described. I went to fix the folder naming by changing them to season 1, season 2, etc and refreshed the metadata and with FIle Explorer open I witnessed them being deleted. Luckily it wasn't anything I can't get back with some time spent.

RE: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-02

There are 2 possibilities, IMO. Either your media files are colocated in your Jellyfin cache directory or you have another app managing your files like Sonarr or something.

RE: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - west - 2024-06-04

Oh wow I just noticed this too. My entire Sealab 2021 Show folder got deleted. And who knows what else. The only files that remain are 'theme.mp3' and 'tvshow.nfo'. Investigating now to find a pattern. Could have something to do with the numbers in the series name maybe.

I'd say the bug is pretty critical if it's straight up deleting video files unprompted from the users' hard drives.

RE: Jellyfin Possibily Deleted Some Files - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-04

The deletions are probably related to the bug found in 10.9.4.

See this for more info: https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/11945

Basically the bug will cause seasons to be linked to the entire show. If something deletes the season with the bug, the whole show will get deleted too.