Jellyfin Forum
Recovering Server After Failed Upgrade Attempt - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Recovering Server After Failed Upgrade Attempt (/t-recovering-server-after-failed-upgrade-attempt)

Recovering Server After Failed Upgrade Attempt - KodiUser1138 - 2024-06-03

Atempted to upgrade from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 and it completely borked by server. With a bit of information in the official release thread I got a bit working but now back to just banging my head against the wall. To get up to speed...

Quote:I completely removed the Jellyfin install, copied my data backup folder and re-installed 10.8.13 then had to start JF with the tray.exe. It can't find my old server at it's proper location and thinks it finds one at a different location but can't access it. So far not even able to get 10.8.13 going again. I figures out you meant to use CMD to run the exe. I did that, had JF running and it found the data from my backup. Stopped and restarted windows and tried to launch the JF tray again and it did but wouldn't find the database. Stop and re-started and now JF won't stay running long enough to see if it found the DB. Tried the CDM start again and still won't stay running. Still working to test this out.

Quote:Follow0-up. I have JF 10.8.13 installed. I manually started the server with CMD run as admin, noting the JF data location. I ran the tray and now access the JF server as if it was May 11 when I did the back-up. How do I proceed forward to keep JF running on a stop/reboot and continue to upgrade to the last working 10.9.3? Last time I stopped JF and rebooted I had to go through a bunch of hoops to get back to manually starting the JF server again as noted above. It wasn't automatic. Need to add when I close the CMD window the server stops running. Trying to re-start just fails. Re-starting with CMD also fails. Further follow-up. I upgraded to 10.9.0 and had to go through manually starting the server through CMD, leave the CMD window open and could access my existing database. As soon as I close the CMD window the server dies. I still can not start JF through the Windows tray and have it find the actual database despite it being in the default install location. Frustrated. Further further update - upgraded to 10.9.3, which had been working previously. Now can't even get the proper server to start using CMD.  Super frustrated. Maybe these successive bug fixes are being pushed too fast and not given enough time to ensure things aren't going to break?

After all of that I completely uninstalled Jellyfin and deleted the Data folder and rebooted Windows. I installed JF 10.8.13 and copied my back-up Data folder. Then attempted to start JF with the tray and... nothing. Stopped JF and closed the tray, did the CMD manual start directing to the data folder and... nothing.

So now I've got nothing working and am completely stuck. I have my back-up from May 11 for JF 10.8.13 and the new back-up I made today after my first "successful" restore and update of the library for 10.8.13 that then upgraded to 10.9.0 and subsequently crashed. No I have no working server and no idea what to try next.

I also can't understand how a new fresh JF install with an existing Data folder is just completely ignored? Where is the disconnect? How do you correct that?

RE: Recovering Server After Failed Upgrade Attempt - KodiUser1138 - 2024-06-03

After the above I removed JF and the Data folder again and re-installed 10.8.13. I checked the log and saw the Data folder is now in a different location (AppData under users)? How did this change occur in an older version of the program? Currently copying the Data folder back-up to this location to see what happens... or doesn't.

Narrator: Of course nothing happened.

I retraced my steps and found an error I had made so I've got JF 10.9.3 running with my recovered database now, but still requires manual starting through CMD to direct to the Data location an then keep the CMD window open. Hoping for a proper working solution.

RE: Recovering Server After Failed Upgrade Attempt - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-03

What path is it trying to go to if you launch directly from the tray app? I'm assuming C:\Users\yourUser\appdata\local. If so, try launching the tray app as admin.

(2024-06-03, 04:34 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What path is it trying to go to if you launch directly from the tray app?  I'm assuming C:\Users\yourUser\appdata\local.  If so, try launching the tray app as admin.

Correct. Running the tray app as admin produces the same failed result. I'm presently making a back-up of the "working" 10.9.3 data folder and will then un-install everything JF, delete all data folders that aren't back-ups and do a fresh clean install.

(2024-06-03, 04:39 PM)KodiUser1138 Wrote:
(2024-06-03, 04:34 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What path is it trying to go to if you launch directly from the tray app?  I'm assuming C:\Users\yourUser\appdata\local.  If so, try launching the tray app as admin.

Correct. Running the tray app as admin produces the same failed result. I'm presently making a back-up of the "working" 10.9.3 data folder and will then un-install everything JF, delete all data folders that aren't back-ups and do a fresh clean install.

This seems to have been the remedy.

Note to future self - Uninstall JF fully and delete ALL JF folders including in the User/AppData/Local folder. Back-up the ProgramData JF folder. Do a complete re-install and that should correct this issue.

Now KodiSyncQue doesn't seem to be pushing database updates to Kodi clients. Not sure if that's on the JF end or need to "fix" libraries on the Kodi side.