Jellyfin Forum
Trouble with Jellyfin and Portainer - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Trouble with Jellyfin and Portainer (/t-trouble-with-jellyfin-and-portainer)

Trouble with Jellyfin and Portainer - kuroyousei - 2024-06-04

Hello everyone, I have recently decided to redo my entire server from scratch due to some ongoing issues, old messes, and outdated hardware. Previously I was running the server on an old machine with a cheapo R3 2200G. It was a good machine for a while but lately its been crashing more and more frequently, and eventually got to the point where for the past couple weeks its been crashing twice a day every day. I've got a lot of messes and just BS installed on it, things I dont use, permissions that have gotten all wonky, and its just all around time for it to go.

I also have a brand new (as of February) server I have been using for Stable Diffusion, which is an absolute monster of a machine. The thing is, I feel the CPU and RAM are not being utilized to their potential because the GPU does almost all of the work for image generation. So what I decided to do was just combine the two.

Now, instead of just throwing all of these different apps on there and making another huge mess, I decided that I'd run ProxMox and create multiple VMs and inside one of the VMs I would use Portainer for all of my Jellyfin related stuff. This is the thing we'll be talking about here, but I want to try and be comprehensive because sometimes people alert me to things I had not thought about and wouldn't necessarily have provided the information for anyone to know to tell me the thing. Anyway, here are the specs on the physical machine:

Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Asus B650E Motherboard
64GB DDR5 RAM (5600mhz)
Nvidia RTX4090 (Gigabyte)
Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

In addition, all of the media is stored on a Synology RS422+, which has 30TBĀ  of storage (20x2+10x2, each in RAID 1). This is important because one of the minor annoyances that I had with my previous server is that I always had to manually mount the drives with every reboot. I would really like to not have to do that this time.

So now that you have the information, I'll get to the problem. I was able to get ProxMox running flawlessly, and GPU passthrough to the Stable Diffusion VM was super easy compared to how difficult I was told it would be. I had 0 issues and it took less than an hour from start to finish. I created the 2nd VM, which we will refer to as Portainer. It's running on Ubuntu 22.04 and everything seems to be working very well. Next, using Portainer, I created a container for nginx proxy manager. That also went off without a hitch. The guide was very copy/paste and it had all the instructions. No issues.

Now it's time to do Jellyfin. I went to add it, and the instructions were like a totally different format and they seem to all be for a command line. I don't really know how to do that with regard to Portainer. Obviously I could just use the terminal, but I'm afraid ill mess it up and make a mess. I want to do it using the GUI so I will be able to understand what it is that im doing and for it to all be uniform and in neat little containers that I can manage. It's also important to note that i want to do Sonarr this way as well, I just havnt gotten to that step yet.

Is it possible for someone to point me to a very easy, copy/paste version of what to put in the box on Portainer?