Jellyfin Forum
Keeping Playlists - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Keeping Playlists (/t-keeping-playlists)

Keeping Playlists - Sneller61 - 2024-06-07

I don't like upgrading because I usually lose my playlists. I have recently upgraded to 10.9.2. Everything seems complete(even "Collections"). As what usually happens, out of my 20 playlists, Jellyfin now only sees 4. This happen every time. 

Why is it that that Jellyfin has the inability to retain Playlists during a version upgrade? Is there a way to prevent this?

To the Peeps of Jellyfin: What does someone have to do to retain their playlists during a version upgrade?

This is beyond frustrating.

RE: Keeping Playlists - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-07

Are you properly transfering your previous config folder to the new server? The playlist data is stored in there, so as long as you retain that, you should have kept all your playlists.

RE: Keeping Playlists - Sneller61 - 2024-06-07

Thanks for responding.

Running JF 10.8.12 on a F2-221 NAS Server. All related files are on this server. I upgraded to 10.9.2.
All media types come up fine. My various "Collection" lists came out fine. PLaylists, however show only 4/30.

Break out File Manager and confirm all playlists are present where they should be. Start looking at the 4 playlists that can be seen. Check out filepaths and permissions-nothing. all seem identical, cant tell the difference. And that's where we are now.

I've been using JF for about 3 years now, and I've enjoyed everything about it except when it comes to upgrading and my playlists. I feel that the Playlists feature need some extra effort put into it.

RE: Keeping Playlists - Shadowghost - 2024-06-08

Keep in mind that 10.9 migrated playlists to be user specific. The creating user needs to explicitly mark them as public if he wants to share them with the whole server.

RE: Keeping Playlists - pixel24 - 2024-06-09

I just tested the public playlists in a test environment (JF 10.9.6 / Debian 12.5). When creating a new playlist, there is an option to make it public, which works fine.

However, I haven't found a way to change this status (public/private) afterwards. Where can I find this option?

I created a playlist with User-A and marked it as public. User-B can see the playlist but cannot add any titles, which I think is correct. However, User-B can remove titles from the playlist and even delete the entire playlist.

This isn't really consistent.

RE: Keeping Playlists - Sneller61 - 2024-06-10

Ok, I think I reached my breaking point. After using JF for 3 years I think I'm packing it in for the following reasons:
1) every time I upgrade it is a battle to get my playlists back
2) Now the Playlist folder doesn't even show up -all the files are present.
3) Reams of music files that aren't even recognized
4) I have just discovered a LARGE number of video files missing from their folders, all the meta files are there, no video. Where the hell did they go?

I've saved all playlist files and put them away with my media files while I decide on what to use for my media. I can tell you one thing-No JF, No plex, and No Emby. If disappointment can make you weep-It's these three.

RE: Keeping Playlists - pixel24 - 2024-06-11

Yes, I can somewhat understand the frustration. The handling of playlists in JF is not really mature. Things happen that are completely illogical.

I hope this will be improved. Currently, I am forced to stay on 10.8.13, which raises other issues in the context of playlists. All users can see/edit/delete all playlists.

It's not a great time :-(