Jellyfin Forum
Studios in Collections - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Studios in Collections (/t-studios-in-collections)

Studios in Collections - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-09

I've updated from 10.8.13 to 10.9.6 yesterday.
Since then some of my manually created collections/box sets are crammed with studios at the top of the page in a web browser.
I have a few collections with hundreds of films in it, like for instance all films in 4K. These are now not usable anymore since it's necessary to scroll down like forever (about 10 pages of studios) before the first row of films is shown.

Since I haven't found anything yet, is there a setting or whatever that can be done to disable these endless lists of studios?

RE: Studios in Collections - Cognicom - 2024-06-10

When I took the same upgrade path, my solitary custom collection got emptied - it still contained the list of genres and studios, but no actual content. The collection.xml file had all of the media listed, but this was useless as some time back (I think with the transition to 10.8.x) collections were moved to the database and the XML file was just a stub generated as a courtesy for third-party use.

So, I completely deleted and re-created the relevant collection, painfully adding in the 130-odd movies (I have a large library, so searches aren't exactly instant), and I notice now that the collection has neither genres nor studios defined - which is a good thing (I didn't really need the genres for this collection). I don't know if you're game to scrap and re-create your custom collections to achieve this.

I noted that the collections generated by TMDb Boxsets do have genres and studios listed, so tried fiddling with CSS to hide the studios list - without success. I'm sure it's just my CSS-fu being broken (it's been nearly two decades since I was last involved in web development); it should be achievable, hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can tackle it.

What I've tried;
Code:
.studiosGroup {display:none visibility:hidden !important};
Code:
div.studiosGroup {display:none visibility:hidden !important};

Yes, I re-started the server and flushed the browser cache between each attempt (why be graceful when brute force works? Upside-down-face ), but no luck.

RE: Studios in Collections - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-12

I figured today that all my collections are broken. 4K films have mostly disappeared. Most 4K films can't be watched on Android TV anymore as the client always plays the 1080p version instead, no matter what you select. But - behold - the default resolution on a phone is 4K, and it does play the 4K version without issues - on a display that fits in the palm of your hand, using 4G traffic.
<sarcasm>Very well thought through, indeed.</sarcasm>

The media player displays some yellow star right inside the controls, which seems to be the movie rating. Is this supposed to encourage you to carry on watching or stop instantly if the rating's that bad?
<sarcasm>Also very well thought through, indeed.</sarcasm>
Who in our entire solar system needs a rating while watching a film?

Libraries don't update anymore in a browser when adding films unless you open a different library first, then switch back. 
The search button in the dashboard has disappeared. Now you got to press two buttons before you can check something quickly.

The only thing that actually works better in 10.9.6 than in 10.8.13 is the search. Or, let's say, it probably would if it didn't all of a sudden show lots of films whose title doesn't even contain the search phrase.

RE: Studios in Collections - Cognicom - 2024-06-13

(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: Most 4K films can't be watched on Android TV anymore as the client always plays the 1080p version instead, no matter what you select.
I only have FHD (1080p) TVs connected, so have the clients set accordingly - though I only have a tiny handful of 4K files. Is this a problem that's developed recently?

(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: But - behold - the default resolution on a phone is 4K, and it does play the 4K version without issues - on a display that fits in the palm of your hand, using 4G traffic.
Yes, a major bugbear of mine, but Jellyfin's far from the only culprit. I have the Jellyfin client on my 'phone set to 720p maximum, as (1) I herald from an era when 1200 baud was considered fast, (2) I don't believe in paying a fortune for mobile data when I don't have to, and (3) my eyes are far from good enough to tell the difference (hence my 1080p TVs).

(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: The media player displays some yellow star right inside the controls, which seems to be the movie rating. Is this supposed to encourage you to carry on watching or stop instantly if the rating's that bad?
Something needed to be put there, to make it more exciting? I've learnt to mostly ignore IMDb & RT ratings due to the prevalence of shills and idiots giving movies ridiculously high or ridiculously low ratings - but I agree, it's not something that should be displayed there.

(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: Libraries don't update anymore in a browser when adding films unless you open a different library first, then switch back.
I noticed this when re-creating my custom library. It seems to be caused by overly-aggressive caching, as it can be fixed with Ctrl-F5 - but I don't remember it being an issue previously.

(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: The search button in the dashboard has disappeared. Now you got to press two buttons before you can check something quickly.
This is a real pain (I know, I know, first-world problem). The first rule of UI design is uniformity.

(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: The only thing that actually works better in 10.9.6 than in 10.8.13 is the search. Or, let's say, it probably would if it didn't all of a sudden show lots of films whose title doesn't even contain the search phrase.
This (searching abstracts in addition to titles) seems to have been put in to make life easier for idiots users who don't know how to use a search box properly, but just as with everything along these lines, making things easier for idiots users makes life more difficult for those with knowledge/experience (Windows 10/11 is a good example).

RE: Studios in Collections - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-14

(2024-06-13, 12:51 AM)Cognicom Wrote:
(2024-06-12, 11:36 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: Most 4K films can't be watched on Android TV anymore as the client always plays the 1080p version instead, no matter what you select.

Niels has fixed this today.
https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-androidtv/issues/3675
Thumbs-up

RE: Studios in Collections - vortex91 - 2024-07-01

go to admin general custom css code and input

div.detailsGroupItem.studiosGroup {
display: none;
}

RE: Studios in Collections - ThomasPGH - 2024-07-01

(2024-07-01, 05:10 PM)vortex91 Wrote: go to admin general custom css code and input

div.detailsGroupItem.studiosGroup {
  display: none;
}
Thanks so much! That fixed it! Thumbs-up 

I still think this should be fixed in the software's code, not in its config. When suddenly an endless list of useless information is smashed in your face, covering up the function's actual purpose and therefore rendering it unusable, that's a bug in my opinion, not a config issue.

RE: Studios in Collections - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-02

(2024-07-01, 10:43 PM)ThomasPGH Wrote: I still think this should be fixed in the software's code, not in its config. When suddenly an endless list of useless information is smashed in your face, covering up the function's actual purpose and therefore rendering it unusable, that's a bug in my opinion, not a config issue.
This issue already is being tracked on the Jellyfin github, so it will eventually be handled/fixed.

No ETA I can give you for that however.