Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine (/t-solved-firetv-errors-mobile-and-browser-work-fine)

FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - Skiddywinks - 2024-06-10

I have been trying to play some rips I recently made, but for some reason my FireTV throws up errors and exits the episode, whereas my mobile app (Android 14 on Pixel 8a) and brower-based (Firefox on W11) attempts to watch the files are perfectly fine. Jellyfin version is 10.8.13, using Windows installer (W11, x64).

Files I am trying to watch are "HEVC (H265 Main 10 @L4.0)", and I have "HEVC (H265 Main 10 @L5.1)" files that are perfectly happy to run on the FireTV. I don't know the significance of the difference so thought I would at least point it out.

I suspect it is something to do with the FireTV more than it is Jellyfin (duh), but I really don't know what's going on. Tried reading the logs (attached) but I don't really know what I am looking for. There appear to be three attempts to transcode before it gave up. If these are the wrong ones, or there is more I can do to provide info, please let me know.

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-10

What model FireTV? Preferably the model code.

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - Skiddywinks - 2024-06-10

(2024-06-10, 06:45 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What model FireTV?  Preferably the model code.

Unfortunately, I don't know. It's a built in on the Toshiba UF3D I have. I'll have a poke around to try and find out.

EDIT: The "About" style info direct from the TV says this-
Software Version: Fire OS 7.6.6.8 (PS7668/3894)
Fire TV Home Version: 6490040.1
TV Model: TOSHIBA_43UF3D53DB

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-10

What are your server specs?

Also, can you try disabling "Allow encoding in HEVC format" in Dashboard > Playback on the server?

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - Skiddywinks - 2024-06-10

(2024-06-10, 07:34 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What are your server specs?

Also, can you try disabling "Allow encoding in HEVC format" in Dashboard > Playback on the server?

I'm running it on my daily driver laptop at the moment (have grand designs for the final version to be in a server rack alongside zraid or something):
Ryzen R9 5900HX
nVidia RTX 4080 16GB
32GB DDR4 3200 MT/s
1TB Samsung 970 Evo

I'll give that a go when I get home, thank you.

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - Skiddywinks - 2024-06-11

Yup, still a no-go with "Allow encoding in HEVC format" disabled.

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-11

In Jellyfin on your FireTV can you configure the preferred player to be libVLC instead of auto or exoplayer?

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - Skiddywinks - 2024-06-11

(2024-06-11, 04:14 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: In Jellyfin on your FireTV can you configure the preferred player to be libVLC instead of auto or exoplayer?

And she works!

Was this a series of guesses, or did the logs tell you something? I'm very grateful for the help, but if I can learn something that might stop me bothering the forums next time (or maybe even help someone else here in the future), then I'd love to hear what was going wrong.

FYI, I found this in Jellyfin under "Device Model": Amazon AFTBOXE1. Is this the model code referenced earlier?

RE: FireTV Errors, Mobile and Browser Work Fine - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-11

I forgot that, for whatever reason, Amazon fucks up exoplayer or something (exo is part of Android) and libVLC works better on Fire devices.