Jellyfin Forum
do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? (/t-do-i-just-copy-and-paste-these-relocated-jellyfin-folder)

do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - 4kLvr80 - 2024-06-11

hi

im getting a 12tb internal hdd today from amazon. the hdd im going to replace i notice has a jellyfin system folder. in it has a transcodes folder but its empty. do i need it and if i do can i just cut and paste it onto my new hdd? do i do anything else after? thanks in advance.

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-11

What OS is jellyfin currently running on?

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - 4kLvr80 - 2024-06-11

hi!

windows 10

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - mildlyjelly - 2024-06-11

I'm assuming your new drive is the same size or larger than your old drive?
If that is the case, I would just do a byte level clone of your old drive onto your new drive, then expand your partitions as needed.
Taking this route makes your new drive a drop in replacement for the old one.

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-11

If you don't go the cloning route, you just need to copy C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin over to the new drive. It contains your configs and database and metadata.

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - 4kLvr80 - 2024-06-11

(2024-06-11, 04:23 PM)mildlyjelly Wrote: I'm assuming your new drive is the same size or larger than your old drive?
If that is the case, I would just do a byte level clone of your old drive onto your new drive, then expand your partitions as needed.
Taking this route makes your new drive a drop in replacement for the old one.

its larger. i am backing up the old drive data  to one of my drives for backup data. i am saving some of the important stuff but pretty much using this drive for new data. thanks for the advice!

(2024-06-11, 04:35 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: If you don't go the cloning route, you just need to copy C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin over to the new drive.  It contains your configs and database and metadata.

so i copy the entire jellyfin folder from that directory onto the main directory of my new drive? doesn't it need to be in the same drive where windows is installed? thanks in advance.

Did we miss something? I had assumed this would be replacing the drive that Windows is installed to.

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - rekram - 2024-06-14

It sounds like the media will be on an external hd and his ProgramData folder will be unmoved on the C: drive. I have a similar question. I have a lot of metadata, but different drives and drivepaths for a new install. I was wondering if there was a way to migrate the metadata to be used with new drives.

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-14

(2024-06-14, 01:38 PM)rekram Wrote: It sounds like the media will be on an external hd and his ProgramData folder will be unmoved on the C: drive.  I have a similar question.  I have a lot of metadata, but different drives and drivepaths for a new install.  I was wondering if there was a way to migrate the metadata to be used with new drives.
I don't know if everything is moved over smoothly, in particular played statuses etc, but metadata is if you ensure you have generation of .nfo files on for this library. If you have .nfo files you can just move media around freely before scanning again.

RE: do i just copy and paste these relocated Jellyfin folder? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-14

In my experience, as long as you add the new paths soon enough after moving the content Jellyfin will preserve the watch status.