Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Something Fishy with Jellyfin - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Something Fishy with Jellyfin (/t-solved-something-fishy-with-jellyfin)

Pages: 1 2

Something Fishy with Jellyfin - Pennywise - 2024-06-12

I have had some very weird inconsistent behavior since I have been trying to get JellyFin set up. First and foremost I am running Windows 10 that is on a fresh install. I am using Jellyfin on a user account since my admin is strictly for maintenance of the system.

1. Once windows was set up, I downloaded the Jellyfin_10.9.6_windows-x64 set up file. After the install I ran the Jellyfin application file in the server folder, which opened the cmd program ran a bunch of setup script then closed. Jellyfin was not in my windows tray at this point for me to open the web client. After watching some setup youtube videos and reading the setup on Jellyfin website, I decided something may have been corrupted and uninstalled Jellyfin.

2. I reinstalled Jellyfin from the same download and ran into the same issues. I decided the download was possibly corrupted so I uninstalled everything, deleted the installer, rebooted. 

3. Downloaded a new installer. Only this time I opened the Jellyfin.Windows.Tray application file, in the folder of the same name, which I did get a tray icon so I right clicked, open Jellyfin. Firefox opened to the Jellyfin page asking me to pick a language, I selected English, clicked next, spinning wheel for eternity. After a few minutes of getting dizzy watching the wheel spin, I closed the browser, tried to open Jellyfin again, only this time it said the website could not be reached, it was busy, or network was down. I tried typing in Localhost:8096 with the same results. This was peculiar since I had YouTube open, learning the setup. After a few attempts to open with same results, I uninstalled, scrubbed all files, deleted install from download, rebooted.

4. I re-downloaded the installer, ran installer, used Jellyfin.Windows.Tray to open client. Firefox opened to Jellyfin only it showed I had a server already and asked if i wanted to add another. I clicked the server, it couldnt connect. I clicked add server and it sent me to the page to connect to a server via IP. I bounced back and forth from the two pages trying to access the server it think it saw and connecting to my IP. Obvious to me now, this wasnt working. I read through the forums, googled, and youtubed and couldnt find anyone with the same prob.

5. Burned down, reinstalled. Wintray application file. Opened client. Finally landed on the page where it asked me to set up my server, location of movies, settings and so on. once it was running, I loaded one movie to test everything. Jellyfin kept identifying the folder where I put the first movie, as the movie. After a couple of reboots, it finally saw the movie file and stopped thinking the folder was a movie.

6. It wouldn't let me clear out the preview files before the actual movie started so i had to reboot and turn off autostart. Now the server will not recognize my user name and password.

Please help, I would really like to get this set up without breaking my keyboard in half.

RE: Something Fishy with Jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-12

You will likely need to run the installer as admin. Not necessarily while logged in as admin. But right click and "run as administrator". There are some tasks the installer performs that require admin access (like adding jellyfin.exe to the Windows firewall).

RE: Something Fishy with Jellyfin - Pennywise - 2024-06-14

I just tried running the .exe from the user account as admin and installing from the admin account, running with user as admin. Uninstalled and scrubbed each time. I am still getting routed to the login screen with it not recognizing my password/username. I presumed after the uninstall it would want to set up the server path again. it did not.

RE: Something Fishy with Jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-14

Clear your browser cache. Jellyfin-web caches aggressively and you usually have to clear site data if the server changes IDs but is at the same address.

Cleared Cache, cookies and browser history rebooted. It is still not letting me in. I tried password reset, 'Please try again within your home network to initiate your password reset process.' is the error I get.

Can you share your logs via pastebin?

Would that be the logging.json file?

No. C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\log

Here is the log from today.

https://pastebin.com/B2qcH79i

Since you are running jellyfin as admin now, and you likely weren't before, you will need to re-enable the setup wizard since your jellyfin data directory is not located where it is now.

Stop Jellyfin then open up this file in notepad.

C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\config\system.xml

Near the top there will be a line called "IsSetupWizardComplete". Change that from true to false then start Jellyfin. It should walk you through setup, including creating a new admin account.