Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Error in "Probe Provider" - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Error in "Probe Provider" (/t-solved-error-in-probe-provider)

Pages: 1 2

Error in "Probe Provider" - akshay khairmode - 2024-06-14

Hey Folks,

I have been facing issues since I upgraded the Jellyfin version.

I am using Windows 10 and have installed Jellyfin via the Windows installer.

Jellyfin Version - 10.9.6

I am getting a playback error - Playback failed due to a fatal player error.

When checking logs it says,

Code:
[2024-06-14 13:55:43.102 +05:30] [ERR] [23] MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.EpisodeMetadataService: Error in "Probe Provider"
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.

[2024-06-14 13:55:43.784 +05:30] [ERR] [21] Jellyfin.Api.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request. URL "GET" "/videos/e500f5af-ec99-26a3-7878-03127ee0b94d/live.m3u8".
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter '_mediaEncoder.EncoderPath')

Based on Google searching the issue, it looked like it could not get the FFmpeg path, so I checked the settings in playback but the path there is empty and not editable.

I tried editing the encoding.xml in the ProgramData folder but the file was getting reset every time I restarted the Jellyfin server. Not sure what more to do.

I have uninstalled the previous Jellyfin version and did a fresh install also, still facing same issue.

Any help here is appreciated. I am also attaching the log file.

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-14

Why aren't you using the version of ffmpeg that comes with Jellyfin?

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - akshay khairmode - 2024-06-14

I have not configured to use any specific FFmpeg. Where do I configure it to use the FFmpeg that comes with Jellyfin itself and not look for another one?

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-14

It looks like you installed ffmpeg outside of jellyfin and Jellyfin is picking it up.

Code:
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (2): An error occurred trying to start process 'C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\ffmpeg-5.1.2-essentials_build\ffmpeg-5.1.2-essentials_build\bin\ffmpeg.exe' with working directory 'C:\Program Files\Jellyfin\Server'. The system cannot find the file specified.

And the log indicates it can't read it?

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - akshay khairmode - 2024-06-15

I think I may have installed ffmpeg for another application but how can I configure jellyfin to use its own?

The ffpmeg path does not exist now, it's deleted from that path.

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-15

I believe in Windows it just calls "ffmpeg" and Windows will use whichever is installed. I'm assuming if you uninstall this other ffmpeg Jellyfin should pick up the ffmpeg it comes with. Or, if you need that other ffmpeg, you can edit encoding.xml to provide a path.

C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\config\encoding.xml

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - akshay khairmode - 2024-06-16

Editing encoding.xml is not working, once the Jellyfin server restarts the changes made in the file are reset to the original.

There is no ffmpeg in Programs and Features to uninstall.

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-16

I need to do some testing and I'll get back to you.

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - akshay khairmode - 2024-06-22

Hi did you find anything on this issue?

Thanks.

RE: Error in "Probe Provider" - theguymadmax - 2024-06-22

I would check to make sure that path is not in your Environment Variables.

Steps:
1.       In the start menu or a run box type “sysdm.cpl” and open that up.
2.       Navigate to Advanced -> Environment Variables
3.       In User Variables- click path, then choose edit. If that directory is there, then delete it
4.       Do the same thing for the System Variables.
5.       Restart system.