Jellyfin Forum
Newbie in need of help for backup - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-off-topic)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-discussion)
+--- Thread: Newbie in need of help for backup (/t-newbie-in-need-of-help-for-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Newbie in need of help for backup - pol77 - 2024-06-14

Hi all.

I'm completely new to NAS, QNAP, Containers, Jellyfin and Linux. So you probably understand that I know nothing of anything needed here.

I have recently purchased a QNAP TS-873A and have sucessfully installed and ran a Jellyfin container which I populated with my movies and after spending many hours cleaning up and correcting the metadata, I realized that I have no way of backing up my configuration / metadata.

I then found out that I should have made a bind to the local host for /config but now it seems to be too late. I have tried all I could think of but I have not been able to access the files in the container volumes.

Is there a way for a newbie like me to do that so all my work on the Jellyfin installation will not be in vain?

I would also love to be able to access the files needed to customize the logos etc.  I have used CSS to customize the logo for a browser, but the Android TV App does not support CSS and I would love to be able to have the custom logo there as well.

Finally, I have an Nvidia Quadro P1000 coming in the mail to be able to play 4K files. Will that be as straightforward as it seems from the Dashboard/Playback/Trickplay or is there more involved?

Many thanks and huge gratitude to any who take the time and have the patiente to guide a newbie.

RE: Newbie in need of help for backup - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-14

You'd have to open a shell for your Jellyfin container and copy the contents of /config to a path that you've mapped to a host folder.  Once you've done that, map /config to a permanent folder on the host and then move the contents you copied earlier into that new host path.

RE: Newbie in need of help for backup - pol77 - 2024-06-14

Hi and thank you for your answer.

Would you please be able to explain how to open the shell to the jellyfin container?

I don't have a QNAP NAS. My understanding is that you have to SSH to the NAS and then run this command.

Code:
sudo docker exec -it <container_name> /bin/bash

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/basic-help-on-how-to-ssh-to-ha-in-qnap-docker-container/57135/2

Great, thanks once again....

With a lot of googling, I found this exact command and did exactly that.
I also found the required commands to navigate the directories and copy.

Unfortunately, the only host folder that I have mapped to this container is my films and it is mapped as read only, so I cannot copy the config folder to host.

Is there a way / set of commands to access other host folders or make container folders accessible from the host?

You should be able to just map another folder, any folder, to the container and move stuff there.

Actually, I found a command to copy directly from the container to a share on the NAS.

Here it is for anyone who needs it in the future!

Code:
sudo docker cp Jellyfin:/config /share/Storage

Where Jellyfin is the name of the container and Storage is the name of my network share on the NAS where I wanted to copy the config.

All files coppied!

Now, if I delete this container and create a new Jellyfin container where I bind the config folder to a host folder, then copy the files I jsut extracted, will I in essense have done a full restore, including the metadata and all?

In theory, yes.

Do you mean that I may not have actually gotten all the needed files? It looks like 19574 files with a total size of 4.72GB.

The config folder contains everything permanent for Jellyfin. It is the only folder needed to migrate from one install to another.