Jellyfin Forum
Naming Audio Tracks - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Naming Audio Tracks (/t-naming-audio-tracks)

Naming Audio Tracks - lukasitaly - 2024-06-15

How should I name my Audio Tracks? 

I ripped many DVDs but am questioning if keeping the standard structure is useful. Currently most of my Audio Tracks have names like this: "Surround 5.1 - English - Dolby Digital". 
Basically Jellyfin displays "Name - Language - Codecs".

But I never had a sound system and probably will never get one except maybe a sound bar. I don't even know what "Surround 5.1", "Stereo" or "7.1" really mean. I though of just keeping the TrueHD tracks so I only have 1 audio track per language, but AI says some devices may not be able to play TrueHD audio tracks.

So for now I just kept the standard names on all audio tracks except Commentaries.

How do you name your tracks and/or what is recommended?

Thanks in advance

RE: Naming Audio Tracks - Cognicom - 2024-06-15

(2024-06-15, 09:39 AM)lukasitaly Wrote: ... but AI says...
Although I would trust what AI says more than I would trust what politicians say, the output of both is really only suitable for printing on toilet paper Woozy-face

I'm in a similar situation to you - I'll never be viewing my media on a projector or massive screen, and audio will only ever be coming through stereo speakers. Based on that, I organise my library to maximise storage efficiency;

1. Rip from DVD or BluRay using MakeMKV to preserve source quality,
  2. Re-process using Handbrake;
    • Video to HEVC, 480p or 576p (if coming from DVD) or 720p (if coming from BluRay), or in the very rare case that the source is perfect and I really, really like the movie, 1080p,
    • Audio (main track) to stereo AAC, encoded to Dolby Pro-Logic II if the source is 5.1 or 7.1 channel,
    • Audio (secondary language if available) same as above,
    • Audio (commentary) to mono AAC

Neither my ears nor my eyes are good enough these days to fully appreciate 4K 7.1 DTS-HDMA material, so why bother taking up 30-70Gb per movie when 1Gb will suffice?

As for the track naming, I strip the names from the main audio tracks (the language tags are descriptive enough) and trim the commentary track names so they only reflect what they actually are (for example, "Director's Commentary" as opposed to "Director's Commentary 5.1 384Kbps").

RE: Naming Audio Tracks - lukasitaly - 2024-06-15

(2024-06-15, 10:42 AM)Cognicom Wrote:
(2024-06-15, 09:39 AM)lukasitaly Wrote: ... but AI says...
Although I would trust what AI says more than I would trust what politicians say, the output of both is really only suitable for printing on toilet paper Woozy-face

I'm in a similar situation to you - I'll never be viewing my media on a projector or massive screen, and audio will only ever be coming through stereo speakers. Based on that, I organise my library to maximise storage efficiency;

1. Rip from DVD or BluRay using MakeMKV to preserve source quality,
  2. Re-process using Handbrake;
    • Video to HEVC, 480p or 576p (if coming from DVD) or 720p (if coming from BluRay), or in the very rare case that the source is perfect and I really, really like the movie, 1080p,
    • Audio (main track) to stereo AAC, encoded to Dolby Pro-Logic II if the source is 5.1 or 7.1 channel,
    • Audio (secondary language if available) same as above,
    • Audio (commentary) to mono AAC

Neither my ears nor my eyes are good enough these days to fully appreciate 4K 7.1 DTS-HDMA material, so why bother taking up 30-70Gb per movie when 1Gb will suffice?

As for the track naming, I strip the names from the main audio tracks (the language tags are descriptive enough) and trim the commentary track names so they only reflect what they actually are (for example, "Director's Commentary" as opposed to "Director's Commentary 5.1 384Kbps").

I followed your advice. I will only keep one audio track per language. I'll keep the best quality audio track since I found out Jellyfin can transcode the audio if a device doesn't support the codec and I have enough storage. I'll also remove all names from the audio tracks just like you, to keep it simple.

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it! Smiling-face