Jellyfin Forum
Poor performance on local server - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Poor performance on local server (/t-poor-performance-on-local-server)

Poor performance on local server - eobet - 2024-06-15

I have installed Jellyfin using pacman on EndeavourOS on a machine with the following specs:

Code:
CPU: AMD Ryzen Embedded V2516 (12) @ 2,10 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series [Integrated]
Memory: 9,32 GiB / 30,77 GiB (30%)

On that same machine I installed the official Jellyfin Media Player via flatpak and noticed a lot of heavy stuttering (and also way worse sound) when playing 4K video.

If I just use the Gnome File Manager and browse to the same video and start it using the Gnome Video Player, it both plays and sounds fine.

Some internet searching tells me to "turn off transcoding", but I can't find the setting for it. The Help button on that very same page also mentioned "direct play" which sounds like what I want, but still I can't see it amongst the available settings.

What am I missing?

RE: Poor performance on local server - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-15

In Jellyfin Media Player click on your profile icon in the top right then Client Settings. What setting are you using for Hardware Decoding?

RE: Poor performance on local server - eobet - 2024-06-15

It says "Copy" and from reading the tool tip under the little question mark symbol beside it, there's not a single word about "transcoding" anywhere in there.

Also, I see 9 different options for forcing transcoding, not a single one for disabling it...

There was one forced transcoding option for dolby enabled, so I disabled that (and I think I have forced stereo on the server side anyway), and then I changed that hardware decoding option to "enable", and so far it seems a lot better (EDIT: Yes, holy crap, major difference... I think it's fine now?).

But I'm still very confused about all (Reddit) answers simply stating to turn off transcoding as if there was a clear single option to do that.

RE: Poor performance on local server - 34626 - 2024-06-15

Is hardware acceleration enabled in Jellyfin?
Please share some logs with pastebin

RE: Poor performance on local server - Host-in-the-Shell - 2024-06-15

Quote:But I'm still very confused about all (Reddit) answers simply stating to turn off transcoding as if there was a clear single option to do that.

While logged in as admin, you can go to your dashboard > users > 3 dot menu on the user you want to disable transcode for > edit user > uncheck under 'media playback' anything related to transcoding > save.

That said, this is more of a workaround and it would be best to correctly troubleshoot the issue by providing logs like others have suggested.

RE: Poor performance on local server - eobet - 2024-06-16

Thanks again for the information!

Here's today's log. I see a line about the user policy that transcoding is enabled now and I'm really itching to turn it off, but I'll wait to hear your suggestions. Smiling-face

But please note that the stuttering has now completely gone away (probably by enabling client side hardware acceleration), HOWEVER the one issue I'm still noticing is that my subwoofer does not kick in where it does when using the Gnome Video Player so there's an audio quality issue still there?

I don't see the log. Does anyone else see it? When I first added it, I also did not see it, then I added it again and was prevented from posting by an error message stating that log.txt was already added, so I re-did my reply.