Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: DV file / HDR issues on supported device - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: DV file / HDR issues on supported device (/t-solved-dv-file-hdr-issues-on-supported-device)

Pages: 1 2

DV file / HDR issues on supported device - podonnell - 2024-06-18

I have a file with a Video Dynamic Range - type DV
(Is this Dolby Vision?)

The file plays in HDR normally when I use my local Windows player, as well as using the TV application for Jellyfin. But playing on the same exact TV/device with Jellyfin web player or MPV Shim, it displays the funky colors as if the device doesn't support HDR. What would be causing this? I know the device is compatible as it works with my Windows player. Is there something special Jellyfin needs?

Here is what my Windows player is detecting: 
[Image: image.png]
Got some additional info on the transcode reason, this was when attempting to watch through Jellyfin Web player on Chrome:
[Image: image.png]

Is there a Chrome and/or Shim limitation for one of these codecs?

RE: DV file / HDR issues on supported device - podonnell - 2024-06-18

Edit: I did not mean to reply to myself here, was trying to edit my original post. Apologies for the double post.

I was coming back to report another oddity -- my subtitles are not lining up when I am watching the washed out, transcoded version, is this normal? I just used the same sub on the LG TV app version of Jellyfin and it is lined up perfectly.

RE: DV file / HDR issues on supported device - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-18

Did you enable tone mapping?

What are the specs of the server? And what OS?

(2024-06-18, 01:34 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Did you enable tone mapping?

What are the specs of the server?  And what OS?

I have that disabled. This would convert HDR to SDR, correct?
My device should be able to display all forms of HDR, so I'd prefer to keep that off.

Windows 10 - i7 4790k & GeForce 570

It plays other HDR videos normally, so I'm wondering what is different about these particular files.

The video is transcoding because the player doesn't support HDR even if your TV/OS/monitor does.

Tone mapping is likely not a viable option for your hardware anyway.

(2024-06-18, 03:23 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The video is transcoding because the player doesn't support HDR even if your TV/OS/monitor does.

Tone mapping is likely not a viable option for your hardware anyway.

I'm confused, because this player works for HDR on plenty of other files.
I think there is something specific about this format / container. How can I determine what exactly about this one is not supported?

So the file is Dolby Vision, but there are several different kinds of Dolby Vision.

In the library interface click on the "..." in the movie listing and click "media info".  That will give us more information about what kind of Dolby Vision it is.  Most streaming/mobile devices only support DV5 and 8.  And for non-DV HDR, most of those devices will support plain HDR10.  But most BD remuxes that are Dolby Vision will be 7.6, which streaming/mobile devices will not support.

(2024-06-18, 05:29 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: So the file is Dolby Vision, but there are several different kinds of Dolby Vision.

In the library interface click on the "..." in the movie listing and click "media info".  That will give us more information about what kind of Dolby Vision it is.  Most streaming/mobile devices only support DV5 and 8.  And for non-DV HDR, most of those devices will support plain HDR10.  But most BD remuxes that are Dolby Vision will be 7.6, which streaming/mobile devices will not support.

Super helpful, thank you.

Video range HDR
Video range type DOVI
DV title DV Profile 5

So it's Profile 5 Dolby Vision then?

What is odd -- I am able to display this just fine using the Jellyfin App on my LG TV. When logged into Windows (connected to this very same LG display), using Chrome or the MPV Shim player, the issue occurs.
It also does occur on an Android TV I have, using the Jellyfin app. I have confirmed this device (Hisense 55U6K) does support Dolby Vision.

For the Android TV, perhaps Dolby Vision support is not enough?
For the LG TV, I know it's supported, but there's something seemingly broken with the players?

Dolby Vision is a compatibility mess on streaming devices and I don't have a good answer. I opted to convert all my Dolby Vision media to HDR10 due to much wider compatibility, but it wasn't a simple process.

At the end of the day, if you have HDR content your server NEEDS to have the capability to tone map to smooth out these compatibility issues.

IMO, the cheapest route is to get an Intel Arc GPU. They are readily available, cheap AF compared to Nvidia, and super capable.

(2024-06-18, 07:59 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Dolby Vision is a compatibility mess on streaming devices and I don't have a good answer.  I opted to convert all my Dolby Vision media to HDR10 due to much wider compatibility, but it wasn't a simple process.

At the end of the day, if you have HDR content your server NEEDS to have the capability to tone map to smooth out these compatibility issues.

IMO, the cheapest route is to get an Intel Arc GPU.  They are readily available, cheap AF compared to Nvidia, and super capable.

I'm definitely open to upgrading this server. I had no idea of these Intel GPUs, and a quick look, they are indeed quite reasonably priced.
Is the idea here that tone mapping is not capable on my current specs, but this GPU would be able to?

I'm going to see if I can test some Dolby Vision profiles to see if I can narrow down exactly which one is causing this. It seems the LG JF app works, but JMP, Shim, and Chrome web player have trouble.