Jellyfin Forum
Rank "recently added movies" by date added to library - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Rank "recently added movies" by date added to library (/t-rank-recently-added-movies-by-date-added-to-library)

Rank "recently added movies" by date added to library - aumc - 2024-06-18

Been slowly switching all my users over from my Plex instance to my Jellyfin instance. Love Jellyfin so far. 

Noticed a weird incongruency on my front page. I have "Recently Added Media" in the home page for every user, so each user logs in and sees "recently added movies" and "recently added shows". When I add new shows, each new show shows up in "recently added shows" on the home page almost immediately, and shows are listed here in order of "most recently added to the library". But for movies, the "recently added movies" are added in order of their real-world release date, which means that if I add a movie from before, like, two months ago, it'll get scanned in to the library but it'll never show up in "recently added movies". 

I kinda liked knowing that every time someone logged into my Plex server, they'd see whatever media was recently added, and I'd kinda try to make sure that interesting older (older than a month or two, sometimes a few decades old) movies showed up there. It'd be nice to have movies from more than a couple of months ago show up in my Jellyfin instance whenever I add them as well. Is there a way to change this? I hunted through the settings for a little while and couldn't find anything. 

tl;dr: "recently added shows" is ordered by date added to library, "recently added movies" is ordered by real-world release date, so movies I've added that are more than two months old never show up; how to change? 

RE: Rank "recently added movies" by date added to library - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-18

Go check the following setting:

Dashboard > Libraries > Display > "Date added behavior for new content"

Make sure it's set to "Use date scanned into the library".

Though the text under it does say any metadata value will override the option.

RE: Rank "recently added movies" by date added to library - aumc - 2024-06-18

(2024-06-18, 05:59 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Go check the following setting:

Dashboard > Libraries > Display > "Date added behavior for new content"

Make sure it's set to "Use date scanned into the library".

Though the text under it does say any metadata value will override the option.

Wow, this... worked perfectly. 

I tried that earlier and it didn't work, but it appears that making that switch only applies to movies added after making that change, so it appeared for a while not to make any change. I suppose it doesn't really matter long-term! Very cool! 

Thanks for your help! Feels silly to miss that, but I'll leave this up for the next poor sap who changes that setting and then says "why isn't it immediately working?"

RE: Rank "recently added movies" by date added to library - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-18

Yeah. I should have mentioned that. I don't remember if previous Jellyfin versions stated it, but for some reason, I do faintly remember some warning text being under it stating that it only applied to future videos and not to previously added videos.