Jellyfin Forum
Media Player not working after server update - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Media Player not working after server update (/t-media-player-not-working-after-server-update)

Pages: 1 2

Media Player not working after server update - Zippy1970 - 2024-07-04

Server: 10.9.7
Web: 10.9.7
Build: 10.9.7
Media Player: 1.11.1

So I just updated the server to 10.9.7 and now Jellyfin Media Player on Windows (11) is no longer working. It starts up fine and I see the home screen. But clicking on anything ("Films", "TV Series" or anything else) does nothing. I can call up the menu on the left by clicking the hamburger, but none (other than "Leave Application") of the menu options do anything when clicked.

Oddly enough, I have no problems on my TV (Jellyfin for WebOS), my phone (Jellyfin Android), or through a web browser. It's only the Media Player displaying this behavior.

I've restarted the server a few times, as well as my computer. I also reinstalled the Jellyfin Media Player, but nothing works.

Edit:
I just noticed that if I start the Media Player and call up the menu on the left before doing anything else, I can browse all menu items just fine. But as soon as I click anything on the home screen, the menu stops working. Also, when I try to play a movie from the home screen, I can hear the movie's sound but I don't see anything (I still see the home screen). If I then quit Jellyfin, and go to its dashboard through the web browser, I see the movie is still playing, even though Media Player is no longer running.

RE: Media Player not working after server update - ThomasPGH - 2024-07-04

I've read somewhere that you may have to delete the application's data (somewhere in appdata).

RE: Media Player not working after server update - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-04

Try going into the device section in the dashboard and delete the Jellyfin Media Player device(s).

RE: Media Player not working after server update - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-04

In a browser, go to your Jellyfin and then Dashboard > Devices. Delete the session for Jellyfin Media Player.

On the system with JMP, go to C:\Users\yourUser\appdata\local. There will be a folder called "jellyfinmediaplayer" and "Jellyfin Media Player". Delete both.

Open JMP and log back in.

RE: Media Player not working after server update - Zippy1970 - 2024-07-05

Thank you all so much! That solved my problem! 🙏

RE: Media Player not working after server update - Opetyr - 2024-07-05

It solved my problem for one session. How is this an issue? It wasn't in earlier versions. Is there someway to remove whatever is causing this?

RE: Media Player not working after server update - ThomasPGH - 2024-07-05

(2024-07-05, 11:33 PM)Opetyr Wrote: It solved my problem for one session.  How is this an issue? It wasn't in earlier versions.  Is there someway to remove whatever is causing this?
It's (hopefully) a one-off after an upgrade from 10.8... to 10.9...

RE: Media Player not working after server update - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-06

(2024-07-05, 11:33 PM)Opetyr Wrote: It solved my problem for one session.  How is this an issue? It wasn't in earlier versions.  Is there someway to remove whatever is causing this?
How many more sessions are giving you the same issue?

RE: Media Player not working after server update - Mussaka - 2024-07-07

Hi.

I have the same issue on fedora 40

Server: 10.9.7
Web: 10.9.7
Build: 10.9.7
Jellyfin Media Player, Flatpack from Flathub : 1.11.1

I have tried to remove all devices on server, files related to jellyfin after uninstalling then reinstalling JMP with no success.
Do you know how can I resolve this ?

I wish you a good day.
Mussaka

RE: Media Player not working after server update - ThomasPGH - 2024-07-07

You don't need to uninstall JMP. On Windows, just exit the application, go to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local and delete the two folders "Jellyfin Media Player" and "JellyfinMediaPlayer".

From https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-media-player/blob/master/README.md:

Config File Location

The main configuration file is called jellyfinmediaplayer.conf. You can also add a mpv.conf to configure MPV directly.

Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\JellyfinMediaPlayer\
Linux: ~/.local/share/jellyfinmediaplayer/
Linux (Flatpak): ~/.var/app/com.github.iwalton3.jellyfin-media-player/data/jellyfinmediaplayer/
macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Jellyfin Media Player/