Jellyfin Forum
Navigation Woes - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Navigation Woes (/t-navigation-woes)

Navigation Woes - podonnell - 2024-07-05

A few things that I'm noticing while navigating that I'm unsure where to report. Seems like odd design choices.

Case 1:
I have collections enabled in my library, and to play a specific title that is in the collection, it takes 8 button presses after opening the collection. Why are the actual collection items at the very bottom of the collection details page? It makes you sift through all other metadata details before just being able to hit 'play' on an item in a collection. I do believe there is an option I saw at some point to display all titles as well as their collections, but I do want the items to be in collections.
Here is a video example of how many button presses it takes for me to launch a title in a collection: https://streamable.com/xuhver
I feel that the videos should be the primary reason someone is in a collection and it should be the first button-press to start a title.

Case 2:
When you open a title that has audio and subtitle choices, pressing the down button on your remote will bring you into the details / cast & crew section, as opposed to the choices for audio/subs. You must go to the right and then go down to get to those options.

I don't think much can be done about either case, would these be things I should report on the github as feature requests? I don't think the navigation feels natural at all specifically for these funtions.

RE: Navigation Woes - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-05

From your previous posts earlier today, you have an LG tv right?

I would try connecting a wireless mouse and see if that helps you navigate the app better.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-how-to-connect-a-keyboard-mouse-or-gamepad-to-your-lg-tv--20152890341179

RE: Navigation Woes - podonnell - 2024-07-05

(2024-07-05, 01:52 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: From your previous posts earlier today, you have an LG tv right?

I would try connecting a wireless mouse and see if that helps you navigate the app better.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-how-to-connect-a-keyboard-mouse-or-gamepad-to-your-lg-tv--20152890341179

Yep LG, I bet that mouse solution would be better. I could possibly try that. But I've got other people in the house that I'm unsure that will stick with. Would prefer a single remote to navigate the TV and the apps if possible. 
Would just rather see this design updated. It doesn't make sense to me that the actual items in the collection are on the bottom of the collections screen.

(2024-07-05, 02:22 AM)podonnell Wrote: Would just rather see this design updated. It doesn't make sense to me that the actual items in the collection are on the bottom of the collections screen.
That would require modifications to Jellyfin-Web as the LG app from my understanding is just a wrapper for the web GUI.
Basically like the Android phone app.

The reason the Android TV app is more suited for TVs is because it's its own thing designed from the ground up.

(2024-07-05, 02:27 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:
(2024-07-05, 02:22 AM)podonnell Wrote: Would just rather see this design updated. It doesn't make sense to me that the actual items in the collection are on the bottom of the collections screen.
That would require modifications to Jellyfin-Web as the LG app from my understanding is just a wrapper for the web GUI.
Basically like the Android phone app.

The reason the Android TV app is more suited for TVs is because it's its own thing designed from the ground up.

Got it. Yeah Android app felt good. Was bummed since I just upgraded my TV and we're finding a few things that aren't as thoughtful.
So theoretically I could make my own instance of the Jellyfin-Web and see if I could re-write some of these minor things since it's open source?

Yeah you can do that.

Personally, I don't use any of the TV apps. When I use Jellyfin on my TV, it's always through a connected computer displaying its output onto the TV.

(2024-07-05, 03:17 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Yeah you can do that.

Personally, I don't use any of the TV apps. When I use Jellyfin on my TV, it's always through a connected computer displaying its output onto the TV.

Ah, I see. Do you have any issues with supporting things like Dolby Vision this way? I presumed the best way would be having the TV receive the data internally through an app as opposed to over HDMI.

I do actually have my JF server directly next to this TV, but I'm hoping to maintain an easy control solution for others in the house as well.

(2024-07-05, 04:31 PM)podonnell Wrote: Ah, I see. Do you have any issues with supporting things like Dolby Vision this way? I presumed the best way would be having the TV receive the data internally through an app as opposed to over HDMI.
If you can play Dolby Vision fine on your computer's browser or Jellyfin Media Player, it will work fine being sent to the TV display over HDMI. Being connected by a cable doesn't mean that the TV will do processing in tandem with the computer. The computer is doing all of the work and sending the final processed file to be displayed on the connected screen. Just make sure to turn on HDR for the TV in Window's (if you're using Windows that is) display settings when watching HDR content. Windows even has a shortcut for the HDR toggle: win+alt+b

If you think about it, all you're really doing by using the TV app is having the TV's own internal computer do all the processing. You're limited to what it supports as TV manufacturers try to skimp out on build costs to maximize profits and they sometimes put underpowered hardware compared to what you could get elsewhere.

I think the biggest hurdle for keeping it simple for your users by using a PC would be figuring out where to hold and store a wireless keyboard and mouse (or one of those Logitech wireless keyboards that have a mouse where the ten-keypad would be).