Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name (/t-solved-seasons-and-episodes-display-the-wrong-show-name)

Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Noneuclidery - 2024-07-06

I have a season of Dimension 20. It was incorrectly identified as Dimension W. I corrected this at the show level, and selecting show will display the title as "Dimension 20", but the season and episode pages still display the show title as "Dimension W". There don't seem to be any metadata fields I can edit that will correct the name. What's going on, and how might I fix it?

Edit: It was a the AniList plugin being overly enthusiastic. If I want to use it, I should make it the lowest metadata source or split my libraries. This doesn't explain why there's metadata that can't be edited, but it is at least a solution.

RE: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-06

You should be able to edit the metadata for seasons and episodes. Click on the 3-dot menus on seasons, then on the "edit metadata" option. There, edit the season name to how it's supposed to be. Are you running into an issue where they revert back to the incorrect name?

The following is just a guess since Dimension W is an anime. Do you have an anime library and have some of the anime scanner plugins installed?

It looks like you have the anime metadata scanners enabled on a library that's not for anime. Try disabling them on the non-anime libraries if that's the case so this doesn't happen again.

RE: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Noneuclidery - 2024-07-06

(2024-07-06, 12:36 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: You should be able to edit the metadata for seasons and episodes. Click on the 3-dot menus on seasons, then on the "edit metadata" option. There, edit the season name to how it's supposed to be. Are you running into an issue where they revert back to the incorrect name?

I can edit the season name just fine. Maybe I need to be more specific.

1. On the TV Shows library, I click "Dimension 20". This takes me to the page for the show as a whole, and the top (the show title) reads "Dimension 20". Both of these used to say "Dimension W", but I edited the show metadata, and it fixed it only on these pages.
  2. On that page, I click on season 19 (season title "Mentopolis"), which takes me to a new page for the season. At the top, it reads "Dimension W" and below that, "Mentopolis". When I go to edit metadata for the season, I can change the name of the season, but not the name of the show. My guess is that it's supposed to be inherited from the show metadata.
  3. On that page, I select a specific episode, and the same problem occurs. "Dimension W" followed by "Mentopolis - 1. The Big Guy". Like the season, editing the episode metadata does not allow me to edit the show name, only the episode name.

So, the name must be stored somewhere, like in a cache or something. But it seems inaccessible to me.

(2024-07-06, 12:36 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: The following is just a guess since Dimension W is an anime. Do you have an anime library and have some of the anime scanner plugins installed?

It looks like you have the anime metadata scanners enabled on a library that's not for anime. Try disabling them on the non-anime libraries if that's the case so this doesn't happen again.

Until now, I have had no reason to split up anime and non-anime. All tv shows are in the same folder. Are you saying it's expected that one would, and that plugins rely on that expectation?

RE: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-06

If you have Anime centric metadata sources enabled on a library, especially if they are top priority, the library should be dedicated to just Anime. Most of us keep Anime separate. But you can keep Anime and non-Anime together as long as you don't enable any Anime centric metadata sources and stick with TVDB/TMDB/OMDB, which also have Anime metadata.

RE: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-06

(2024-07-06, 03:07 PM)Noneuclidery Wrote: I can edit the season name just fine. Maybe I need to be more specific.

1. On the TV Shows library, I click "Dimension 20". This takes me to the page for the show as a whole, and the top (the show title) reads "Dimension 20". Both of these used to say "Dimension W", but I edited the show metadata, and it fixed it only on these pages.
  2. On that page, I click on season 19 (season title "Mentopolis"), which takes me to a new page for the season. At the top, it reads "Dimension W" and below that, "Mentopolis". When I go to edit metadata for the season, I can change the name of the season, but not the name of the show. My guess is that it's supposed to be inherited from the show metadata.
  3. On that page, I select a specific episode, and the same problem occurs. "Dimension W" followed by "Mentopolis - 1. The Big Guy". Like the season, editing the episode metadata does not allow me to edit the show name, only the episode name.

So, the name must be stored somewhere, like in a cache or something. But it seems inaccessible to me.
There's something wrong here. You should be able to edit the name of season.
Could you provide a screenshot of the affected items? It shouldn't be working like this.

There should be a "Title" and "Sort Title" field in the season metadata that are editable.
Note that the "Title" section is the only one that appears on the GUI as the season name.

(2024-07-06, 03:07 PM)Noneuclidery Wrote: Until now, I have had no reason to split up anime and non-anime. All tv shows are in the same folder. Are you saying it's expected that one would, and that plugins rely on that expectation?
I would follow what @TheDreadPirate stated above in the previous post.

In the past, I've had the AniDB and AniList plugins enabled (as top priority too) on a movie library for non-anime movies. On multiple movies, it would cause their metadata to be incorrectly linked to anime titles.
I obviously fixed the issue by disabling the anime plugins for that library.

It has something to do with the anime plugins getting somewhat of a match to some anime title. It's enough of a match, so it applies it to them.
To Jellyfin, there's no distinction between anime and non-anime titles, they're all just videos to the eyes of a computer. Jellyfin will get the closest match of the highest priority metadata source enabled for that library.
You could try lowering the priority of the anime plugins to be dead last to see if it helps a bit.

RE: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Noneuclidery - 2024-07-07

I have removed the offending plugin, and it's working. But I'm confused about how that should happen. It's one thing for an anime plugin to jump in and say "this is the show" and fill in the wrong data. It's another for me to use the identify feature to manually choose the correct show, or edit all the metadata I can find, and for it to still be wrong. I want to understand how that can happen, but, um...

(2024-07-06, 04:10 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:
(2024-07-06, 03:07 PM)Noneuclidery Wrote: I can edit the season name just fine.

When I go to edit metadata for the season, I can change the name of the season, but not the name of the show.

I am not sure why you keep talking about editing the season name, even after my clarifications? I don't feel like you're reading what I'm writing? :<

RE: Seasons and episodes display the wrong show name - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-07

(2024-07-07, 11:14 AM)Noneuclidery Wrote: I have removed the offending plugin, and it's working. But I'm confused about how that should happen. It's one thing for an anime plugin to jump in and say "this is the show" and fill in the wrong data. It's another for me to use the identify feature to manually choose the correct show, or edit all the metadata I can find, and for it to still be wrong. I want to understand how that can happen, but, um...
You don't have to remove the plugin, you just need to disable it for the library (unless that is what you did here).

The reason it was still pulling in the wrong metadata is because the anime plugins will always miss-detect it as "Dimension W" and store that, even if you told your server that it's another entry from another metadata source. This is fine as long as you have the anime metadata sources disabled for the library because it will ID it as the anime but never actually replace any metadata. The only time this becomes an issue is if you're mixing anime and non-anime content.

(2024-07-07, 11:14 AM)Noneuclidery Wrote:
(2024-07-06, 04:10 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:
(2024-07-06, 03:07 PM)Noneuclidery Wrote: I can edit the season name just fine.

When I go to edit metadata for the season, I can change the name of the season, but not the name of the show.

I am not sure why you keep talking about editing the season name, even after my clarifications? I don't feel like you're reading what I'm writing? :<
My bad. Still, Jellyfin allows for all metadata to be manually edited.

What you're seeing in the season view as the show name will change to what's saved as the "Title" of the show. You maybe need to reload the browser or clear your cache in some cases to get it to show properly.

You got it fixed, but for me to understand what is (or was) happening, I still need to see a screenshot of what you were editing.
What you described should not be possible unless it's a bug. And from what I know, there are currently no reported bugs that prevent manual metadata edits or changes.