Jellyfin Forum
Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin (/t-subtitles-added-to-mkv-won-t-show-up-in-jellyfin)

Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - BigTomm - 2024-07-09

I bought a copy of Godzilla Minus One in my recent visit to japan and I'm trying to add it to my jellyfin server with english subtitles. I was able to do so with an ASS file I found online and I added it successfully using mkvtoolnix. On my computer, the subtitles work great. But when I added Godzilla Minus One to my server it doesn't show the subtitles at all. It also pops up as "undefined" subtitles which didn't matter on my computer but it might on jellyfin? All help is greatly appreciated!

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-09

What Jellyfin client(s) have you tried?

Can you run ffprobe on the movie and share the output here?  Preferably a text file attached to your post.  Same with the "Media Info" from the Jellyfin UI.  Paste the Media Info in a text file and attach it to a post.

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - BigTomm - 2024-07-09

(2024-07-09, 07:33 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: What Jellyfin client(s) have you tried?

Can you run ffprobe on the movie and share the output here?  Preferably a text file attached to your post.  Same with the "Media Info" from the Jellyfin UI.  Paste the Media Info in a text file and attach it to a post.

Here is the media info. I'll get back to you with the ffprobe once I figure out how to do that haha. I've tried the website and the ios client with it.

Godzilla Minus One
Container: mkv
Path: /Media/Movies/Godzilla Minus One (2023)/Godzilla Minus One.mkv
Size: 31695 MB

Subtitle
Title: Undefined - Default - Forced - ASS
Codec: ASS
AVC: No
Default: Yes
Forced: Yes
External: No

Audio
Title: Surround 7.1 - Japanese - TRUEHD - Default
Language: jpn
Codec: TRUEHD
Layout: 7.1
Channels: 8 ch
Bitrate: 4229 kbps
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bit depth: 24 bit
Default: Yes
Forced: No

Video
Title: 1080p H264 SDR
Codec: H264
AVC: Yes
Profile: High
Level: 41
Resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Anamorphic: No
Interlaced: No
Framerate: 23.976025
Bitrate: 35553 kbps
Bit depth: 8 bit
Video range: SDR
Video range type: SDR
Pixel format: yuv420p
Ref frames: 1
NAL: 4

Audio
Title: Surround 5.1 - Japanese - Dolby Digital
Codec: AC3
Layout: 5.1
Channels: 6 ch
Bitrate: 640 kbps
Default: No

Audio
Title: Surround 5.1 - Japanese - TRUEHD
Bitrate: 3137 kbps

Audio
Title: Surround 5.1 - Japanese - Dolby Digital
Bitrate: 448 kbps

Audio
Title: Stereo - Japanese - TRUEHD
Layout: stereo
Channels: 2 ch
Bitrate: 1354 kbps

Audio
Title: Stereo - Japanese - Dolby Digital
Bitrate: 192 kbps

Audio
Title: Stereo - Japanese - TRUEHD
Bitrate: 1390 kbps

Audio
Title: Stereo - Japanese - Dolby Digital
Bitrate: 192 kbps

Subtitle
Title: Japanese - PGSSUB
Codec: PGSSUB
Resolution: 1920x1080

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-09

Looks like you are using Linux.

On the command line

Code:
/usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffprobe "/Media/Movies/Godzilla Minus One (2023)/Godzilla Minus One.mkv"

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-09

It's "undefined" because you didn't give it a name when you muxed the subs in.

Did you try Jellyfin Media Player? That uses MPV which plays ASS subs fine.

What are the subtitle settings for your client set at?

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - BigTomm - 2024-07-10

(2024-07-09, 09:34 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: It's "undefined" because you didn't give it a name when you muxed the subs in.

Did you try Jellyfin Media Player? That uses MPV which plays ASS subs fine.

What are the subtitle settings for your client set at?

Sorry for the long wait. Something hectic came up. I have not tried the media player mainly because I've been too lazy to install it but I'll get on that. I do have infuse and it works fine on there. My subtitle mode is set to default and the burn subtitles is set to auto. I saw that ASS is considered a complex type, do you think it would be a good idea if I got different subtitles on that weren't ASS?

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-07-10

(2024-07-10, 06:34 AM)BigTomm Wrote: Sorry for the long wait. Something hectic came up. I have not tried the media player mainly because I've been too lazy to install it but I'll get on that. I do have infuse and it works fine on there. My subtitle mode is set to default and the burn subtitles is set to auto. I saw that ASS is considered a complex type, do you think it would be a good idea if I got different subtitles on that weren't ASS?
Try setting the "burn in all complex subs" on. Maybe your browser just doesn't support ASS subs.

As for your other question, it looks like it also has PGS subs.

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - theguymadmax - 2024-07-10

(2024-07-10, 06:34 AM)BigTomm Wrote: I saw that ASS is considered a complex type, do you think it would be a good idea if I got different subtitles on that weren't ASS?

For me srt files are the way to go. Most players can play them without having to transcode. Also, you can leave them as external files in Jellyfin, no need to mux it into the file. You just need the proper naming scheme with flags (ex. below).

Path: /Media/Movies/Godzilla Minus One (2023)/Godzilla Minus One.en.forced.srt

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - BigTomm - 2024-07-10

(2024-07-10, 02:42 PM)theguymadmax Wrote:
(2024-07-10, 06:34 AM)BigTomm Wrote: I saw that ASS is considered a complex type, do you think it would be a good idea if I got different subtitles on that weren't ASS?

For me srt files are the way to go. Most players can play them without having to transcode. Also, you can leave them as external files in Jellyfin, no need to mux it into the file. You just need the proper naming scheme with flags (ex. below).

Path: /Media/Movies/Godzilla Minus One (2023)/Godzilla Minus One.en.forced.srt

When you say it can be an external file, does that mean add the SRT to the Godzilla Minus One folder as well as the mkv and then rename the mkv and to Godzilla Minus One.en.forced.srt and it should work?

RE: Subtitles added to mkv won't show up in jellyfin - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-10

Yes. You add the SRT file to the folder and give it the same name as the movie, except with the srt extension. There are additional parameters in the file name, like the language (en) and disposition (forced) that Efficient included.

Here is out documentation on external files, not limited to just subtitles.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/external-files