Jellyfin Forum
Library organization - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Library organization (/t-library-organization)

Library organization - vad72is - 2024-07-13

Hi everyone. 
Very new to Jellyfin and any media server. Tv shows are showing in recently added movies on the home screen along with my videos. They also show in Movies folder. Nothing shows up in the Shows folder. I tried deleting the shows library and adding again. All of the files have grabbed metadata files like posters and banners and added them to my directory on the drive but I'm doing something wrong in Jellyfin.
I have gone over the tutorials on adding TV shows and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I hope I am explaining this correctly.
I've only added a few thing to the libraries until I get it to work correctly so I  could start over if necessary.
When I created the libraries I did choose movies and shows respectively. In the shows folders its showing menu options at the top like Live Tv.

Thank you for taking a look at this.

RE: Library organization - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-13

Can you provide examples of how your files/folders are organized and what folder the library is pointed to.

RE: Library organization - vad72is - 2024-07-13

Sure. My drive right now is a roughly 300GB partition I made on my main drive. I'm using this as a trial until I can figure this out then move to a dedicated NAS setup probably.
Drive letter is E: Four folders inside. CD, DVD, Shows, Video. CD and DVD are empty. DVD's are loaded using MKV. I don't compress. Rename the files to the movie. I initially Loaded 1 season of ncis. It loaded to the main directory on E: drive. I moved them manually to the shows folder. Cause they showed up as videos.
My movie directory in Jellyfin is E:\ and my shows directory is E:\Shows.
Thanks for your time

RE: Library organization - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-13

I need full file names and folder paths. It sounds like you are just leaving the files as their original names after ripping them? If so, that is not going to work.

Please read the documentation linked below. They provide example supported folder and file names.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/shows/

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/

RE: Library organization - theguymadmax - 2024-07-13

(2024-07-13, 11:32 AM)vad72is Wrote: My movie directory in Jellyfin is E:\ and my shows directory is E:\Shows.
If the way you phrased that is how I'm interpreting it (that movies are in the E:\ drive without a sub-directory) then that's the issue.

Map your media using the below structure as a guide, then delete your libraries and recreate them with the new path.

Movie Library
E:\Media\Movies\
E:\Media\Videos\
E:\Media\DVD\

Shows Library
E:\Media\Shows\

Also, each show and movie should be in it's own folder within these folders, as stated documentation that TheDreadPirate linked. A screenshot of your folder structure with files would help if this doesn't immediately solve your issue.

RE: Library organization - vad72is - 2024-07-14

(2024-07-13, 04:40 PM)theguymadmax Wrote:
(2024-07-13, 11:32 AM)vad72is Wrote: My movie directory in Jellyfin is E:\ and my shows directory is E:\Shows.
If the way you phrased that is how I'm interpreting it (that movies are in the E:\ drive without a sub-directory) then that's the issue.

Map your media using the below structure as a guide, then delete your libraries and recreate them with the new path.

Movie Library
E:\Media\Movies\
E:\Media\Videos\
E:\Media\DVD\

Shows Library
E:\Media\Shows\

Also, each show and movie should be in it's own folder within these folders, as stated documentation that TheDreadPirate linked. A screenshot of your folder structure with files would help if this doesn't immediately solve your issue.
Thank you, I mistyped my response here. My directory is E:\videos for movies and E:\shows for shows.

I did notice 2 things. My server log kept saying removing NCIS, the TV shows in question, and listed out the episodes in them in logs.

One thing I had wrong was my naming in that I kept naming the show so the file path looked like E:\shows\NCIS season 4\ ncis season 4 episode -name of episode. I saw on jellyfin that's not right. I renamed a few of them. I did a rescan and all the episodes are showing in the shows folder now. I'm not sure if that helped or not but they are showing there now. They are still showing in my movies folder now though. Babysteps I guess. Also I turned on NFO but  I'm not sure that helped.
I'd gladly show the directory if there is a way to do so. It isn't very big.
Thank you again.

RE: Library organization - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-14

(2024-07-14, 12:13 AM)vad72is Wrote:  E:\shows\NCIS season 4\ ncis season 4 episode -name of episode. I saw on jellyfin that's not right. I renamed a few of them. I did a rescan and all the episodes are showing in the shows folder now. I'm not sure if that helped or not but they are showing there now. They are still showing in my movies folder now though. Babysteps I guess. Also I turned on NFO but  I'm not sure that helped.
I'd gladly show the directory if there is a way to do so. It isn't very big.
Thank you again.

Did you add E: drive directly to both movies and shows libraries?

RE: Library organization - theguymadmax - 2024-07-14

Quote:They are still showing in my movies folder now though

This could be because you selected Mixed Movies and Shows as your library content type, which is not recommended. Delete your libraries and recreate them.
You should have two separate libraries. The content type should be Movies for the first one and there should be a separate one for Shows.

Quote:I'd gladly show the directory if there is a way to do so. It isn't very big.

A screenshot of Dashboard->Library, a screenshot of your folders in the libraries (click on manage library), and a screenshot of the files in explorer would help. Just drag the jpg/png screenshot to the bottom of the post where it says "Click or drop files here to upload"

RE: Library organization - vad72is - 2024-07-14

(2024-07-13, 02:08 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I need full file names and folder paths.  It sounds like you are just leaving the files as their original names after ripping them?  If so, that is not going to work.

Please read the documentation linked below.  They provide example supported folder and file names.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/shows/

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/

Thank you .
Here is a path that works for a movie and shows up where it's supposed to in my movie folder.
E:\Video\Ocean's Eleven\Ocean's Eleven.mkv

This is what isn't working right
E:\shows\NCIS\season 4\NCIS season 4 episode 4_Faking it.mkv

I'll read the instructions you posted again

I switched to folder view on the client and if I go to my media folder at the top and open it, I have movies and shows. I can now see shows in the correct folder.