Jellyfin Forum
New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick (/t-new-to-jellyfin-it-keeps-crashing-on-my-firestick)

Pages: 1 2

New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - madeirabhoy - 2024-07-14

when I say new, I mean yesterday new. read someone say it's better than plex, which ive used for probably 10 years, but thought id give it a go. Not unhappy with plex but a year ago or so it started stuttering when the server is on wifi and it's a pain to have it connected all the time to ethernet. 

installed the server on my MacBook, downloaded the app on my firestick, was really impressed with how quickly it set up. 

started watching a tv series, all HEVC files. MacBook and firestick connected with ethernet. worked fine except once every episode roughly, it crashes halfway through the episode with file not found. sometimes its as simple as it going back to the front screen and I click on the file again and it replays, but most of the time, it goes back to the screen with choosing the server and its not available but on the MacBook either restart or launch seems to make it reappear on the firestick after 30 seconds.

anything I can try?

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-14

Can you share your full jellyfin log via pastebin?

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - madeirabhoy - 2024-07-14

Cheers will do thanks. Out now but will do it tonight.

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - madeirabhoy - 2024-07-14

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/ba2RTeEd"></script>

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-15

That pastebin only has a file path, not the actual contents.

Code:
/Users/johntravers/Library/Application Support/jellyfin/log/log_20240714.log

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - madeirabhoy - 2024-07-15

sorry never used pastern before

there's a few logs, the bigger one is too big for pastern

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/TsqziqHN"></script>

there's also some logs that start ffmpeg . transcode

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - draxer - 2024-07-15

seems like your hardware transcoding settings are missconfigured.
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.414 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "scale_cuda" with option "Output format (default \\"same\\")" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.442 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "tonemap_cuda" with option "GPU accelerated HDR to SDR tonemapping" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.524 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "overlay_vaapi" with option "Action to take when encountering EOF from secondary input" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.551 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "overlay_vulkan" with option "Action to take when encountering EOF from secondary input" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.580 +01:00] [INF] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Available hwaccel types: ["videotoolbox", "opencl"]
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.708 +01:00] [INF] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: FFmpeg: "/Applications/Jellyfin.app/Contents/MacOS/ffmpeg"

try to switch the hardware acceleration to Apple Videotoolbox in the transcoding setting.

Could you post your hardware and the other logs if that doesnt help?

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-15

Their playback doesn't appear to be transcoding, so that shouldn't matter.

I see your server restarting a lot. Are you restarting the server or is it restarting itself?

Let's try enabling debug logging.

Go to /Users/johntravers/Library/Application Support/jellyfin/config and there should be a logging.default.json file.

The lines at the top are currently this.

Code:
"Serilog": {
        "MinimumLevel": {
            "Default": "Information",
            "Override": {
                "Microsoft": "Warning",
                "System": "Warning"

Change it to

Code:
"Serilog": {
        "MinimumLevel": {
            "Default": "Debug",
            "Override": {
                "Microsoft": "Debug",
                "System": "Debug"

Restart jellyfin, reproduce the problem, and then share the new log.

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - madeirabhoy - 2024-07-15

(2024-07-15, 10:39 AM)draxer Wrote: seems like your hardware transcoding settings are missconfigured.
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.414 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "scale_cuda" with option "Output format (default \\"same\\")" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.442 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "tonemap_cuda" with option "GPU accelerated HDR to SDR tonemapping" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.524 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "overlay_vaapi" with option "Action to take when encountering EOF from secondary input" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.551 +01:00] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Filter: "overlay_vulkan" with option "Action to take when encountering EOF from secondary input" is not available
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.580 +01:00] [INF] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: Available hwaccel types: ["videotoolbox", "opencl"]
[2024-07-14 23:18:09.708 +01:00] [INF] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: FFmpeg: "/Applications/Jellyfin.app/Contents/MacOS/ffmpeg"

try to switch the hardware acceleration to Apple Videotoolbox in the transcoding setting.

Could you post your hardware and the other logs if that doesnt help?

sorry I guess im missing something obvious but ive been through the settings of both the firestick app and the Mac OS server and I don't see any options to change anything about transcoding.

on the firestick the only mention of transcoding is in the live tv bit 'direct stream live tv' transcoding is disabled.

on my Mac, the only mention of transcoding is in playback, video quality. maximum allowed video transcoding resolution (set to audio) and the next question is a tick box limit maximum supported video resolution which is unticked.

RE: New to Jellyfin, it keeps crashing on my firestick - draxer - 2024-07-15

No Problem!

Go to the settings of your jellyfin server. Go to Playback and then Transcoding. I have Intel Quicksync selected you should select Apple VideoToolBox if I understood your log correctly.

[Image: pPgfhXy]

but yeah more logs would be helpful!