Jellyfin Forum
pls help with write permissions on a NAS - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: pls help with write permissions on a NAS (/t-pls-help-with-write-permissions-on-a-nas)

pls help with write permissions on a NAS - Jiří Fiala - 2024-07-18

Hi, I can't work this out. 

- Jellyfin installed in a LXC on Proxmox
- NAS (Synology) share is added to Proxmox as a SMB/CIFS Storage
- Jellyfin LXC has this mounted as a Mount Point. Read-only option is NOT enabled

I need this mount to be writable by the user jellyfin, in order for the "Save subtitles to the media folders" feature to work. 

I don't know how. Tried adding a jellyfin user on the Synology, giving it write permissions for the share, but trying to write to the share from Jellyfin console (logged in as user jellyfin) says "permission denied".

Please help, been trying to figure this out for an entire day, to no avail. Thanks!

RE: pls help with write permissions on a NAS - TheDreadPirate - 2024-07-18

The NAS has no idea who the jellyfin user is. In your other thread you provided a username in the SMB's fstab.

Code:
//192.168.0.216/Public /media/Public cifs rw,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=stooovie,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.0.216,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,retrans=1,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1,closetimeo=1 0 0

You have A LOT of extra parameters that are probably not needed, but the one we care about is "username=stooovie". All accesses that are made from your Proxmox server are sent to the NAS with that username. So "stooovie" is the user on the NAS that needs to have permissions to read and write. Your other option is to YOLO and make the share completely open (not recommended).

RE: pls help with write permissions on a NAS - Jiří Fiala - 2024-07-18

But user "stooovie" does have full permissions... it's actually my admin account, it has full access to everything on that NAS

https://imgur.com/a/LYLXJXE

Ok. Let's try changing the mount parameters on the Proxmox host.

Code:
//192.168.0.216/Public /media/Public cifs username=stooovie,uid=stooovie,gid=stooovie,noperm,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

Try using that. You will need to unmount and remount the share. Or reboot. Does that share require a password for stooovie to access the share?

Yes, it does require a password. do I just add password=MYPASSWORD into the fstab command? 

I don't use fstab on the Proxmox host to mount the share. I added it via the GUI in Datacenter/storage.
I can try mounting it via fstab but I'm super weary about borking my other stuff 😭

Maybe we could try mounting it in the LXC instead? Would that work?

You could. But the better option is to create a private text file with your username and password and use the "credentials" option in the fstab parameters. If you put the password directly in the fstab mount then anyone can see the password with "cat /proc/mount". Fstab would look like this.

Code:
//192.168.0.216/Public /media/Public cifs credentials=/home/stooovie/.smbcredentials,noperm,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

You can put the .smbcredentials file anywhere. That was just an example, but I recommend you put it in a private directory. The contents of the .smbcredentials file would look like.

Code:
username=stooovie
password=<INSERT STOOOVIE'S PASSWORD>

Ha! I used your fstab command inside the LXC (instead of in the proxmox host as everything else is working fine) and I do have write permissions! I can delete media from within JF GUI and also as the user jellyfin in JF shell!

Thank you for your patience and true supports skills, those are rare

But there's a new issue: Jellyfin for Kodi stopped seeing the media (but why?? The paths remained the same and everything plays in JF itself).
The documentation is VERY lackluster ("CAUTION! Starting from Jellyfin 10.9 it is no longer possible to set the shared network folder." --- what does this even mean? that the remainder of the instructions is void as it's all about setting up Shared Network Folders?). The addon tells me to configure path substitution, which is apparently no longer possible. Does that mean Native mode is no longer a thing?

I need the Native mode as Addon mode is unusably slow for me (again, why? there's no bottleneck in my network. and the addon doesn't see the network files, which I thought was the entire point of the addon mode)

Sorry. I'm not that familiar with Kodi. And my limited usage has been with Jellycon and not Jellyfin for Kodi.