Jellyfin Forum
AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files (/t-androidtv-exoplayer-unable-to-transcode-certain-files)

AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - tomstephens89 - 2023-08-20

Using AndroidTV Jellyfin client 0.15.11 on a Firestick 4K Max or Nvidia Shield TV Pro with Exoplayer selected, I am able to play certain files back direct stream just fine, however if I reduce the quality setting to force transcoding then I will get a player error. There are no client logs, and the server logs don't appear to show anything obvious.

I have attached a transcode and server log. You'll see theres no errors which leads me to believe this is a problem with Exoplayer in the AndroidTV client.

The logs show me starting playback in full direct stream of the movie Bad Boys II in 4K HVEC, HDR10 with DTS-MA audio, and then me hitting the quality button at 10Mbit/s to force a transcode.

If I change to LibVLC I am able to transcode these files just fine, however theres audio sync issues, the quality perhaps isn't as good and I am not sure on the future of libVLC as a supported backend?

Server Log

FFmpeg Transcode Log

Mediainfo of files which WON'T transcode in Exo:

Quote:Bad Boys II_2003_4K
Container: mkv
Path: /mnt/bigstor/Tom Dropbox/Media/Movies/B/Bad Boys Collection/Bad Boys II_2003_4K.mkv
Size: 26009 MB

Video
Title: 4K HEVC HDR
Codec: HEVC
Profile: Main 10
Level: 150
Resolution: 3840x1606
Aspect ratio: 2.40:1
Interlaced: No
Framerate: 23.976025
Bitrate: 24777 kbps
Bit depth: 10 bit
Video range: HDR
Video range type: HDR10
Colour space: bt2020nc
Colour transfer: smpte2084
Colour primaries: bt2020
Pixel format: yuv420p10le
Ref frames: 1

Audio
Title: English - DTS-HD MA - 7.1 - Default
Language: eng
Codec: DTS
Profile: DTS-HD MA
Layout: 7.1
Channels: 8 ch
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bit depth: 24 bit
Default: Yes
Forced: No
External: No

Subtitle
Title: English - PGSSUB
Codec: PGSSUB
Default: No

-------------------

American Gangster_2007_4K
Container: mkv
Path: /mnt/bigstor/Tom Dropbox/Media/Movies/A/American Gangster_2007_4K.mkv
Size: 17923 MB

Video
Title: 4K HEVC HDR
Codec: HEVC
Profile: Main 10
Level: 153
Resolution: 3840x2076
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Interlaced: No
Framerate: 23.976025
Bitrate: 14254 kbps
Bit depth: 10 bit
Video range: HDR
Video range type: HDR10
Colour space: bt2020nc
Colour transfer: smpte2084
Colour primaries: bt2020
Pixel format: yuv420p10le

Audio
Title: English DTS-X 7.1 - DTS-HD MA - Default
Codec: DTS
Profile: DTS-HD MA
Layout: 7.1
Channels: 8 ch
Bit depth: 24 bit

Subtitle
Title: English SRT - Default - SUBRIP
Codec: SUBRIP

Audio
Title: English DD 5.1 - Dolby Digital
Codec: AC3
Layout: 5.1
Channels: 6 ch
Bitrate: 384 kbps

Subtitle
Title: English SDH SRT - SUBRIP
Codec: SUBRIP

Codec: MJPEG
Profile: Baseline
Resolution: 550x825
Bit depth: 8 bit
Colour space: bt470bg
Pixel format: yuvj420p

These not the only files this happens to, but it doesn't happen on everything. I am wondering if someone can help? Again, this only happens when using Exoplayer in the AndroidTV client, switching to LibVLC works fine!

Thanks
Tom

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - Nihalvm - 2023-08-20

I am having the exact same issue. See my thread just below yours.
The same files play fine on the Web browser while transcoding, but not on Android tv. It seems like in m case its either the Audio or Subtitles that causes issues. I don't really understand all the logs.

Certain files don't play usng libVLC either. However if i select external player and MX Player, then i can get most files to play with workaround. I don't want to use Kodi as i really like the Jellyfin user interface and don't know how to replicate that in Kodi.

Let me know if you figure out a solution.

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - tomstephens89 - 2023-08-20

(2023-08-20, 09:48 AM)Nihalvm Wrote: I am having the exact same issue. See my thread just below yours.
The same files play fine on the Web browser while transcoding, but not on Android tv. It seems like in m case its either the Audio or Subtitles that causes issues. I don't really understand all the logs.

Certain files don't play usng libVLC either. However if i select external player and MX Player, then i can get most files to play with workaround. I don't want to use Kodi as i really like the Jellyfin user interface and don't know how to replicate that in Kodi.

Let me know if you figure out a solution.

What's your thread called? I havn't come across anything that libVLC won't play but Exo on AndroidTV just fails to transcode so much stuff and I have no idea why.

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-20

First tip. Select 120Mbps for the max bit rate. The auto setting doesn't work properly in 0.15.11. A lot of your transcoding is due to "ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit". Lots of unnecessary transcoding.

Also, just select auto for the player. It should cycle through to figure out which one is best for the codecs delivered.

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - tomstephens89 - 2023-08-20

TheDreadPirate dateline='[url=tel:1692560922' Wrote: 1692560922[/url]']
First tip.  Select 120Mbps for the max bit rate.  The auto setting doesn't work properly in 0.15.11.  A lot of your transcoding is due to "ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit".  Lots of unnecessary transcoding.

Also, just select auto for the player.  It should cycle through to figure out which one is best for the codecs delivered.

Thanks for the tip but I know the reason for the transcoding… I am purposefully trying TO transcode and have posted this thread to report that Exoplayer is failing to do so.

The auto select will not switch to libVLC if I change the target bitrate after starting playback. It will try in the already open player and fail if it’s Exo. 

So question still stands. Why is Exoplayer failing to playback when media is being transcoded.

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - Nihalvm - 2023-08-21

(2023-08-20, 06:23 PM)tomstephens89 Wrote: What's your thread called? I havn't come across anything that libVLC won't play but Exo on AndroidTV just fails to transcode so much stuff and I have no idea why.

It's https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-hardware-transcoding-issue-amd-5700g

As mentioned in the other thread it's a subtitles issue maybe. libVLC doesn't work either for some videos. I will post logs later using libVLC.

and as TheDreadPirate mentioned will also try Auto. 
Default installation of the Android TV client selects Exoplayer by default.

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - tomstephens89 - 2023-08-21

(2023-08-21, 06:04 AM)Nihalvm Wrote:
(2023-08-20, 06:23 PM)tomstephens89 Wrote: What's your thread called? I havn't come across anything that libVLC won't play but Exo on AndroidTV just fails to transcode so much stuff and I have no idea why.

It's https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-hardware-transcoding-issue-amd-5700g

As mentioned in the other thread it's a subtitles issue maybe. libVLC doesn't work either for some videos. I will post logs later using libVLC.

and as TheDreadPirate mentioned will also try Auto. 
Default installation of the Android TV client selects Exoplayer by default.

Last night I came across an SD x264 video in my collection that I had problems playing with libVLC. Exo played it but was slow to start.

I am finding setting Exo as the player with 120Mbps to be most reliable BUT it doesn't explain my transcoding problems.

Are there any developer/debug options on AndroidTV so I can see why Exo fails playback?

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-21

In the Android TV app there is both a developer options setting and a setting to send logs (errors only?) to the server. The client logs will land in the same directory as the server logs.

RE: AndroidTV Exoplayer Unable to transcode certain files - tomstephens89 - 2023-08-21

(2023-08-21, 05:00 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: In the Android TV app there is both a developer options setting and a setting to send logs (errors only?) to the server.  The client logs will land in the same directory as the server logs.

No logs.