Jellyfin Forum
versions show as separate titles for some movies - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: versions show as separate titles for some movies (/t-versions-show-as-separate-titles-for-some-movies)

Pages: 1 2

versions show as separate titles for some movies - tepsys - 2024-08-07

Before I get into the problem, I have searched both the forums and google and have not found someone with my particular problem. They all seemed to have some problem with how they had files named. And it was solved once they corrected it. I believe I have mine named correctly yet the problem persists.

I am running Jellyfin on a Debian 12 (Bookworm) VM from this repo:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jellyfin.sources
Types: deb
URIs: https://repo.jellyfin.org/debian
Suites: bookworm
Components: main
Architectures: amd64
Signed-By: /etc/apt/keyrings/jellyfin.gpg

Server version
Web version
Build version

As far as I can tell from the Jellyfin Docs, I have my library naming scheme setup properly.
I have my movie library set up as movie title (year)/movie title (year) - [resolution].mp4|mkv|etc. This is working for some movie titles, but not others. Some still appear as multiple separate listings.

For example, this movie shows as separate listings in the Jellyfin UI:

And here is the folder structure:
28 Days Later (2002)/
├── 28 Days Later (2002) - [1280x688p].mkv
├── 28 Days Later (2002) - [1920x1040p].mkv

However, this title shows as one listing, with multiple versions:

And has this folder structure:
The Bourne Identity (2002)/
├── The Bourne Identity (2002) - [1920x1080p].mkv
├── The Bourne Identity (2002) - [1920x816p].mp4

Why does the versioning seem to be properly applied on some titles but not others? I have forced a full rescan of my library and it did not change anything.

RE: versions show as separate titles for some movies - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-08-07

I would try listing a single resolution number instead of both width & height.

1920x816p would just be [816p].

RE: versions show as separate titles for some movies - tepsys - 2024-08-07

Just for more info, I saw there was an update to jellyfin and updated, so I am now running version 10.9.9.

I also thought maybe the “-” character used may have been different in some cases for some reason, as there are many different characters that are “- like”. (as seen here https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/category/Pd), so I ran my whole library through tinymediamanagers renaming tool again just to rule out that possibility, but the issue persists.

(2024-08-07, 10:10 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: I would try listing a single resolution number instead of both width & height.

1920x816p would just be [816p].

I do not think this matters as the jellyfin docs say Labels are not predetermined and can be made up by the user. I also have many instances where the version grouping works just fine, and many where it does not. Also renaming my entire library yet again is a time consuming process and this would no doubt produce issues with filename collisions

RE: versions show as separate titles for some movies - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-07

Try removing (2002) from the FILE name. It is fine to have it in the folder name. If that doesn't work, its possible that the fact that they are in different containers is problematic. The docs don't say anything about extensions, but I wouldn't be surprised if "versions" needs them to be in the same container.

Remuxing should only take a few minutes.

(2024-08-07, 01:26 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Try removing (2002) from the FILE name. It is fine to have it in the folder name. If that doesn't work, its possible that the fact that they are in different containers is problematic. The docs don't say anything about extensions, but I wouldn't be surprised if "versions" needs them to be in the same container.

The Docs specifically say that the file name should match the folder name exactly, followed by any labels. "The prefix has to be an exact match of the folder name for the versioning to work, " as seen here https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/.

Also, whether the extensions are the same or not does not seem to matter. As shown in my original post, the bourne identity is successfully identified as different versions instead of different listings despite having different extensions. There are other movies where the versioning works just fine with different file extensions. As well as movies where versioning works fine with movies with the same extension.

RE: versions show as separate titles for some movies - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-08-07

(2024-08-07, 02:01 PM)tepsys Wrote:
(2024-08-07, 01:26 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Try removing (2002) from the FILE name.  It is fine to have it in the folder name.  If that doesn't work, its possible that the fact that they are in different containers is problematic.  The docs don't say anything about extensions, but I wouldn't be surprised if "versions" needs them to be in the same container.

The Docs specifically say that the file name should match the folder name exactly, followed by any labels. "The prefix has to be an exact match of the folder name for the versioning to work, " as seen here https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/.

Also, whether the extensions are the same or not does not seem to matter. As shown in my original post, the bourne identity is successfully identified as different versions instead of different listings despite having different extensions. There are other movies where the versioning works just fine with different file extensions. As well as movies where versioning works fine with movies with the same extension.
Did you try @TheDreadPirate's advice to see if it worked or not?

RE: versions show as separate titles for some movies - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-07

Hmmmm.  I've noticed that numbers in the name can throw off some functions in Jellyfin.  Mine NEVER correctly identifies Wonder Woman 1984.  And in my test setup I was experimenting with new encoding settings and it wouldn't merge an experimental encode for 5cm Per Second with my original version.  But you can manually merge them.

Long click on one of the movies, which allows you to them select multiple items.  Select both movies and in the top right click on the context menu and group the versions.

(2024-08-07, 02:14 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Hmmmm.  I've noticed that numbers in the name can throw off some functions in Jellyfin.  Mine NEVER correctly identifies Wonder Woman 1984.  And in my test setup I was experimenting with new encoding settings and it wouldn't merge an experimental encode for 5cm Per Second with my original version.  But you can manually merge them.

Long click on one of the movies, which allows you to them select multiple items.  Select both movies and in the top right click on the context menu and group the versions.

It doesn’t appear to be limited to movies with numbers in the titles. For instance, The Bourne Supremacy appears as separate listings in the Jellyfin UI:

And it has the same folder structure:
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)/
├── The Bourne Supremacy (2004) - [1920x1080p].mkv
├── The Bourne Supremacy (2004) - [320x240p].mpg

Also long clicking just opens the movie title, the same as regular clicking for me, and I can't find any option(s) in the context menus to group versions. Im also hoping to not have to manually do this for every problematic title, it would be better to identify the root cause so that Jellyfin can identify properly and automatically do this.

Huh. Apparently Jellyfin-web behaves differently depending on what view you are in. Long click doesn't work in the list view.
Change from the list view to the poster view. Then you should be able to long click and merge them manually.

I'll do some testing for why it isn't automatically merging.

After some testing, and fixing the typo that caused 5cm per Second to not merge, I think @Efficient_Good_5784 is right.  Something about your tag is causing Jellyfin's file name parser to trip up.  I was able to reliably get Jellyfin to merge versions until I tried tags similar to yours.

My original tags worked.

Code:
chris@rat-trap:/media/storage2/testMovies/5 Centimeters per Second (2007)$ ll
total 7269252
drwxrws---  2 chris jellyfin      4096 Aug  7 12:02  ./
drwxrws--- 16 chris jellyfin      4096 Aug  7 12:36  ../
-rw-rw----  1 chris jellyfin 2403346240 May 15 14:25 '5 Centimeters per Second (2007) - [FOSS Audio].mkv'
-rw-rw----  1 chris jellyfin 5040346798 May 15 13:56 '5 Centimeters per Second (2007) - [DTS Audio].mkv'

But tags similar to yours did not work. (Resolutions in the tag were random for testing).

Code:
total 7269252
drwxrws--- 2 chris jellyfin      4096 Aug  7 12:39  ./
drwxrws--- 8 chris jellyfin      4096 Aug  7 12:41  ../
-rw-rw---- 1 chris jellyfin 2403346240 May 15 14:25 '5 Centimeters per Second (2007) - [1920x816p].mkv'
-rw-rw---- 1 chris jellyfin 5040346798 May 15 13:56 '5 Centimeters per Second (2007) - [720x300p].mkv'

But just the vertical resolution worked.

Code:
total 7269252
drwxrws--- 2 chris jellyfin      4096 Aug  7 12:53  ./
drwxrws--- 8 chris jellyfin      4096 Aug  7 12:54  ../
-rw-rw---- 1 chris jellyfin 5040346798 May 15 13:56 '5 Centimeters per Second (2007) - [300p].mkv'
-rw-rw---- 1 chris jellyfin 2403346240 May 15 14:25 '5 Centimeters per Second (2007) - [816p].mkv

Another thing I noticed is that even with debug logging there are no log messages for merging items.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/blob/release-10.9.z/Jellyfin.Api/Controllers/VideosController.cs#L187

Try changing the tag to just the vertical resolution.