Jellyfin Forum
Fix external subtitles for External Player - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Fix external subtitles for External Player (/t-fix-external-subtitles-for-external-player)

Fix external subtitles for External Player - zaudio - 2023-08-21

I'm using the Android TV Jellyfin Client, latest as of this date, on my Zidoo Z9x (latest stable software 6.4.42).
External subtitles added to my film's folder using the described naming convention do not work by default when playback is to External Player.
The Zidoo player will find the external assets for the film in the same folder as the film as long as it know what that path is... it does not as the current Jellyfin Android TV client does not make use of the library shared path any more.
I do not know the reasons for that option being removed; but I believe being able to play the Film using its shared path, thus presenting that path and file to the External Player, the external subtitle problem would be solved using the Zidoo player's built in support for external subtitles.

While playing the film needing it's external subtitle file, if I use the Zidoo player's menu to add an external subtitle file, which requires me to browse the full network tree (as film path not known), the subtitle is added to the 'Stream' title it thinks it is playing, and not the actual film. 'Stream' is the same title for every film I play via using the Jellyfin client... as it is not using the shared path to present that actual film file.
So as I watch films and add external subtitles for them, the list of subtitles for every film grows... it contains every single external subtitle file I added to any movie played using the Jellyfin client with the External Zidoo player. This again is because to the Zidoo player, they are all the same film, named 'Stream' with no path.

Please fix this! It is making it unworkable to use the Jellyfin client on my Zidoo because of this, as I often need to add a missing subtitle file to my media rips; and I should not be forced to remux all my files to include missing subtitles.
If the Jellyfin client cannot pass external assets to the external play along with the stream, just bring back the option to use the shared path with the external player.
Thanks.

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - Venson - 2023-08-21

Hey @zaudio

Could you please post your naming and folder structure for one example movie?

Jellyfin supports only text based subtitles to be send without transcoding, image based subtitles need to be burned in.

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - zaudio - 2023-08-21

Sure, and my external subs tend to all be srt text based:

\\SERVER\video\Movie\The.Avengers.2012.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-HD.MA.7.1-ZA\
The.Avengers.2012.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-HD.MA.7.1-ZA.mkv
The.Avengers.2012.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-HD.MA.7.1-ZA.default.en.forced.srt

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - Venson - 2023-08-21

Could you try:

\\SERVER\video\Movie\The Avengers (2012)\The Avengers (2012) - 1080p BluRay - x264 - DTS-HD MA 7.1 ZA.mkv
\\SERVER\video\Movie\The Avengers (2012)\The Avengers (2012) - 1080p BluRay - x264 - DTS-HD MA 7.1 ZA.default.en.forced.srt

There jellyfin should show the subtitles in the UI as a selectable subtitle.

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - zaudio - 2023-08-21

Tried that and no change.

Did you take note that on my Zidoo Z9x Jellyfin Android TV Client I am using 'External player'? In that mode I do not see audio or subtitle options in the library... those I pick when the movie plays in the Zidoo's player, if I need to. The external file subtitles available remain broken as described above... I can only pick from the internal ones.

On my PC's Jellyfin desktop app I see subtitle options... I did before even with my original file naming and that works there; but on my PC I'm not using 'External player'.

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - niels - 2023-08-21

When the external subtitles do show up in Jellyfin but not in the external player that means the external player does not support the way we communicate the subtitles to it. This is a common issue as there is no "official" way to send media information to external players.

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - zaudio - 2023-08-22

Restoring the ability to direct play to the external player using the shared network path would likely solve this issue for the Zidoo Z9x, as it happily pulls in external subtitles from the same folder as the film provided they are named correctly

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - niels - 2023-08-22

External players always get the direct play URL. Network paths are deprecated and were never implemented.

RE: Fix external subtitles for External Player - zaudio - 2023-08-22

Direct play Url... so what would that be for example if it's not using the network path? It can't be the folder with the movie, and the film named as it originally was, otherwise the subtitles would work on the Zidoo player. Also the Zidoo can display full info of what it's playing... the filename is gone from there, replaced by 'Stream' when playing from Jellyfin. The Jellyfin server dashboard confirms unaltered playing of the film... so no trsnscoding whatsoever.
How do I fix this then so the Zidoo gets the correct film filename in a folder with the subtitles so it can use them?