Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: SRT Subtitles no longer displaying on my TVs - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: SRT Subtitles no longer displaying on my TVs (/t-solved-srt-subtitles-no-longer-displaying-on-my-tvs)

Pages: 1 2

SRT Subtitles no longer displaying on my TVs - BigShooter - 2024-08-13

Hi, noob to Jellyfish and homelab in general, so sorry if I leave out any information/ don't make sense. Trying my best!

Yesterday SRT subtitles stopped displaying on my TVs. I didn't change anything so I'm quite confused on why this is happening. On desktop they still display perfectly fine, I've left hardware Acceleration to 'none' and 'Allow subtitle extraction on the fly' is enabled. I'm running Ubuntu Server 20.04 with CasaOS on a beelink mini S12 Pro.

PGS subtitles still display, the subtitles option still comes up when I'm on a movie's page but even if I change to different SRT's nothing happens. However, sometimes when I open a movie up for the first time the SRT subtitles do appear, but the movie becomes choppy and if I skip ahead they disppear again. Since SRT subtitles were working previously and still work on desktop, I'm assuming this is a jellyfin issue and not a TV problem.

Is this an encoding issue? Pretty lost here on what's the problem, I've looked around for similar issues but nothing quite like mine. No errors are in the jellyfin logs. I have the 'Open Subtitles' and 'Subtitle Extract' plugins enabled, if that helps any.

Here's an ffprobe of one of the SRT files.

https://imgur.com/a/UWGCA6z

RE: SRT Subtitles no longer displaying on my TVs - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-13

Can you share your full jellyfin log via pastebin?

RE: SRT Subtitles no longer displaying on my TVs - BigShooter - 2024-08-13

(2024-08-13, 04:21 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can you share your full jellyfin log via pastebin?

Yea sure, here you go

https://pastebin.com/euna13DX

Can you share one of your ffmpeg logs via pastebin? Some/all of the attempted transcodes are failing.

Code:
jellyfin  | MediaBrowser.Common.FfmpegException: FFmpeg exited with code 1

Also, what kernel are you running (sudo uname -a)? Additionally, you said you were on 20.04, but I see this log message indicating you are running 22.04?

Code:
jellyfin  |   built with gcc 11 (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04)

(2024-08-13, 05:09 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can you share one of your ffmpeg logs via pastebin?  Some/all of the attempted transcodes are failing.

Code:
jellyfin  | MediaBrowser.Common.FfmpegException: FFmpeg exited with code 1

Also, what kernel are you running (sudo uname -a)?  Additionally, you said you were on 20.04, but I see this log message indicating you are running 22.04?

Code:
jellyfin  |  built with gcc 11 (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04)

That's really strange, my terminal says its Ubuntu 20.04?

Code:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:      focal

My kernal is:

Code:
Linux familyserver 5.4.0-192-generic #212-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 5 09:47:39 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here's an ffmpeg log:

https://pastebin.com/QYvbNzv9

Seems to be multiple similar logs to this, maybe the issue?

(2024-08-13, 05:29 PM)BigShooter Wrote:
(2024-08-13, 05:09 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can you share one of your ffmpeg logs via pastebin?  Some/all of the attempted transcodes are failing.

Code:
jellyfin  | MediaBrowser.Common.FfmpegException: FFmpeg exited with code 1

Also, what kernel are you running (sudo uname -a)?  Additionally, you said you were on 20.04, but I see this log message indicating you are running 22.04?

Code:
jellyfin  |  built with gcc 11 (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04)

That's really strange, my terminal says its Ubuntu 20.04?

Code:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:      focal

My kernal is:

Code:
Linux familyserver 5.4.0-192-generic #212-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 5 09:47:39 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here's an ffmpeg log:

https://pastebin.com/QYvbNzv9

Seems to be multiple similar logs to this, maybe the issue?

Ah wait I just realised, the ffmpeg log is from when I tried to turn on hardware acceleration to fix the issue, I don't believe it's related.

I'm assuming the Beelink Mini S12 Pro you have is using the Intel N100 CPU? If so, the problem is that this video needs to be transcoded, but the kernel you are running does not support the N100 and the transcode is failing. And the HWE kernel for 20.04 (5.15) still doesn't support the N100.

You will need to upgrade to 22.04 AND still need to use the 22.04 HWE kernel (6.5) or upgrade to 24.04 which is running kernel 6.8.

Didn't see your reply until after I posted. Regardless, you should be using an OS that supports your hardware so my statement stands.

Your log didn't really any issues specific to the SRT files, but I'll look over them again.

(2024-08-13, 05:59 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I'm assuming the Beelink Mini S12 Pro you have is using the Intel N100 CPU?  If so, the problem is that this video needs to be transcoded, but the kernel you are running does not support the N100 and the transcode is failing.  And the HWE kernel for 20.04 (5.15) still doesn't support the N100.

You will need to upgrade to 22.04 AND still need to use the 22.04 HWE kernel (6.5) or upgrade to 24.04 which is running kernel 6.8.

Didn't see your reply until after I posted.  Regardless, you should be using an OS that supports your hardware so my statement stands.

Your log didn't really any issues specific to the SRT files, but I'll look over them again.

Yea you're right, I've upgraded to 22.04 with the latest kernal. SRT problem still happening, can I convert SRT to PGS? As PGS still works.

I'll update this thread if I final a solution Ok-hand

No. SRT subs are plain text while PGS subs are image based.

What client is your TV using? I don't think it is a server issue for SRT subs since the client should be rendering them.

(2024-08-13, 06:59 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: No.  SRT subs are plain text while PGS subs are image based.

What client is your TV using?  I don't think it is a server issue for SRT subs since the client should be rendering them.

I'm just connecting through the TV's web browser. I know about firesticks but they are pretty pricy for me. SRT was working perfectly fine through the web browser before anyway, So I don't know if that's the issue.