Jellyfin Forum
Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network (/t-large-files-remuxes-buffer-while-streaming-in-the-same-network)

Pages: 1 2 3

Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - Sash - 2024-08-13

Hey guys, I'm new here so I apologize if I don't know the obvious. 

I have been having issues playing remuxes over the same network. The movies buffer a lot when I try to play them on my TV, but they work fine on my pc. 

My desktop, and the TV is connected together through Cat 6 cable, and 2 gigabit routers. The cat 6 cable is almost 56 meters long between both devices. However the speed drops significantly from a gigabit from my desktop to 40 Mbps up/down on TV because of the length of the wire.
Could the network speed be the issue?

I don't have buffering issues when the files sizes are below 30 gigs, but when they get over that the buffer is imminent.

My specs:

55inch QLED 4K UHD TV that supports Dolby Vision & HDR10
Nvidia 2060 Super 8GB OC Edition
Ryzen 5 3600x
x2 TP Link Archer C80
I have everything stored on 2 & 4TB HDD's

RE: Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-08-13

Most TVs cheap out on the ethernet port. The port most likely caps out at 100Mbps.

If you switch to wifi on the TV, it will probably allow for faster network speeds to it.

Also, what matters here is the bitrate. You can use a tool like mediainfo to inspect a video file to get its overall bitrate to determine if your network can handle it. Jellyfin should also report the bitrate in the media info section on the GUI.

RE: Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - Sash - 2024-08-13

(2024-08-13, 05:36 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: Most TVs cheap out on the ethernet port. The port most likely caps out at 100Mbps.

If you switch to wifi on the TV, it will probably allow for faster network speeds to it.

Also, what matters here is the bitrate. You can use a tool like mediainfo to inspect a video file to get its overall bitrate to determine if your network can handle it. Jellyfin should also report the bitrate in the media info section on the GUI.

I'm glad that you mentioned the Ethernet port (It's RJ45). It is something that I overlooked. 

Like I said I get around 40Mbps on the TV with Ethernet cable, but it's crazy that the same router gives me 270Mbps on my phone. I'll test out the WiFi and post updates here. 

I also wanted to mention that I have used different bitrates from the Jellyfin GUI, but no luck. Although, I do remember that I had transcoding on when it wasn't required. Do you think that transcoding could be have been a contributing factor to this issue?

RE: Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-13

Depends. Can you share an ffmpeg log with us? As long as you properly enabled hardware acceleration, your GPU should be more than capable to keep up with 4K HDR transcoding and tone mapping.

RE: Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - Sash - 2024-08-13

(2024-08-13, 05:51 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Depends.  Can you share an ffmpeg log with us?  As long as you properly enabled hardware acceleration, your GPU should be more than capable to keep up with 4K HDR transcoding and tone mapping.

So I have confirmed that WiFi def gives me the best speeds. I went from 40Mbps (Ethernet) to 200Mbps (WiFi) and it should be a good enough speed to stream, and I also made sure that the tone mapping is disabled. 

I was able to play a 62.4 Mb/s bitrate file that is over 60 GB.

Mediainfo: https://imgur.com/IBmp6E8

Are you talking about these logs btw?
https://imgur.com/a/qewZG3J

I do want to test this again with Tone mapping enabled. How can I provide you the ffmpeg log? When do they generate?
Thanks again!

RE: Large files & remuxes buffer while streaming in the same network - TheDreadPirate - 2024-08-13

Yes, but it probably doesn't matter since it seems that network performance was the root cause. I was just considering transcoding performance if you found that network performance wasn't the cause.

(2024-08-13, 06:54 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Yes, but it probably doesn't matter since it seems that network performance was the root cause.  I was just considering transcoding performance if you found that network performance wasn't the cause.

So the same file is now buffering on my desktop. 

It doesn't do that in Jellyfin Media Player on desktop, but I'm not sure why it does it on the web ui on chrome. I do have gpu hardware acceleration enabled on chrome.

Check the logs attached with this post.

It shouldn't be the transcode that is the problem here. It is transcoding fast enough.

What client are you using on the desktop? Is your desktop also the jellyfin server?

(2024-08-13, 07:02 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: It shouldn't be the transcode that is the problem here.  It is transcoding fast enough.

What client are you using on the desktop?  Is your desktop also the jellyfin server?

Yes, I have my jellyfin server installed on desktop (the same one that I use to watch movies). I use Opera GX, Chorme, but the Jellyfin Media Player seems better than other options on desktop. 

I also have a question. 

When is tone mapping required? is there any comprehensive guide that could point me towards? My monitor is HDR10 enabled, and so is my TV and other devices, but movies look washed out (That is only the case in web browsers like chrome, opera, & etc). So I end up disabling HDR, and use the tone map that is built in mpv player. 

Right now, I have been watching stuff with HDR enabled on my monitor and tone mapping off on my desktop.

Tone mapping is the process of gracefully converting HDR to SDR.  Jellyfin, currently, will always convert HDR to SDR when transcoding video.

Most browsers, including Opera and Chrome, can't play HEVC regardless if it is HDR or SDR.  So you are transcoding the video, but don't have tone mapping enabled, which is why the colors are washed out.

If you want to watch HDR on your desktop, you will need to use MPV Shim.

Even though Jellyfin Media Player can direct play HEVC, the way that the rendering engine works it will always locally tone map HDR to SDR.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-mpv-shim

IIRC, there are a couple more steps after installing MPV Shim to get it to properly display HDR.  But I don't have an HDR monitor to verify.